Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best postseason run

49 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

LoL.... u ain't a great program if u cant take a beatin.... and keep on tickin......

We took them, and we gave 1 of them back to them. Cathedral is the measuring stick for so many programs. It was incredible what they did in that time frame. 

Entering the 03 tourney Warren Centrals  6 opponents they would face in the playoffs  had a combined 13 loses going into the playoffs. North Central had the most with 5. BD had 1 lose (to Warren) Penn had 1 lose ( to BD by 3 points) CG had 2 loses ( BD and Warren) LC had 1 lose (LN) LN had 2 lose (CG and BD) LN also held wins on Warren and Carmel that year. I would say that is an impressive group of teams Warren played in the 03 playoffs. 

But hey I guess there could have been more impressive runs

Edited by Warren05

4 hours ago, Offintheyard said:

2005  3-6 Northwood makes a run and wins 3A state title over Chatard 7-0

That is the run that I first thought of when I saw the thread.  

But if if folks want to talk about continuous championship runs, I’d think Chatard’s 10 state Championships in 17 years (1998-2015) ought to get some consideration.  Add that there were two 3-Peats in there (2001-3 and 2010-12) and I think the 2013 team likely would have won 3A (for a 4-Peat) but they lost in the 4A Regional to New Pal when they were bumped up by the Success Factor.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Lysander said:

But if if folks want to talk about continuous championship runs, I’d think Chatard’s 10 state Championships in 17 years (1998-2015) ought to get some consideration.  Add that there were two 3-Peats in there (2001-3 and 2010-12) and I think the 2013 team likely would have won 3A (for a 4-Peat) but they lost in the 4A Regional to New Pal when they were bumped up by the Success Factor.

2013 they likely would have won. But I think it’s an interesting scenario. If they played the 2013 game vs GS they would have looked at almost the same exact team they faced in 2015. So many 3 year starters on that 2015 GS team and a handful of 4 year starters

12 hours ago, psaboy said:

Luers went 4-5 in 2009 and then won the 2A. That was start of their 4 year run. Think that was the beginning of the Jaylon Smith era as well. They also had a 4 year title run starting in 1999. Maybe be first team to have (2) 4 year straight runs??

16 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

And the reason I like the all in Playoff format . Northwood had injuries plague them in the regular season , only to get the players back for the playoffs . 

You beat me to it! lol I was about to say that some one not have these two teams in the playoffs. Both are amazing playoff runs.

14 hours ago, Offintheyard said:

2005  3-6 Northwood makes a run and wins 3A state title over Chatard 7-0

Being a member of that 2005 NorthWood team who made that run, I can tell you those 6 weeks were some of the most fun times I've had playing football. We were able to bring NorthWood it's first State Championship and if memory serves me right, it's Chatard's only loss in a state championship game. Great memories to look back on every year around this time. 

In the second round of Sectionals we were losing to Culver Military 17-0 at halftime and came back to win 24-17. We also defeated Griffith, who at the time was the #1 team in 3A averaging about 50 points a game with absolute dudes on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. We were able to squeak out a 17-10 win against a well oiled Russ Radtke machine. 

Edited by Chet56
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

And didn't Cathedral win 5 in a row in 2 different classes from 2010-2014?  Not too shabby there.

That, IMO, was the primary reason the success factor was initiated (and notice that both times the points threshold to stay up in a higher class has been changed, it's happened when Cathedral football would've dropped to a lower class without the change. I'm not sure how related those are, but the timing is pretty notable). 

16 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Best was our 2000 championship team (AC) that should have lost in the sectionals to Southern Wells who went on to win the 2001 championship. The game was pretty much over, but SW wanted to rub it in for slaying the proverbial giant and fumbled. AC got into field goal range and hit a game winner to move on their historic run. The 2004 AC Sectional championship team was a longshot. They were once again pitted against SW who had whipped them by around 40 in the regular season and upset them. I always say it was because of the Jeff and Joel magic (former WZBD radio announcers during those late 90s to early 2000s glory days) came back to do that game after not doing it for a couple years.

Love stories like this. Thanks for sharing!

16 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Gibson southern 2012.  First year of nick hart as coach. Went 7-2...OT in semis of sectionals. Win on goal line stand....following week beat memorial 24-21 in OT....then played 12-0 Charlestown who were basically having a 2018 pioneer type season in terms of scoring and defense (I think it was an average margin of 65-3) ...were down 49-21 at the half. Came back to win 56-49 and allowed only 56 yards in the 2nd half. 

it was GIbson Southerns 1st sectional championship and 1st regional championship in the schools history. 

semi state faced Chatard lol. 56-7 loss but most GS fans laugh at it as the first real taste of top tier football 

I'll never forget following the Charlestown-GS game on my phone knowing BC would play the winner in the Semi State.  Turned it off after seeing the 49-21 halftime score.  Couldn't believe GS came back when I found out the next morning!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

And the reason I like the all in Playoff format . Northwood had injuries plague them in the regular season , only to get the players back for the playoffs . 

SHUSH, the pitchforks will come out and tell you that that team would of made some computer based algorithm formatted tournament anyways and even if they didn't that is a once in a lifetime thing......  Don't tell that to @Chet56 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chet56 said:

Being a member of that 2005 NorthWood team who made that run, I can tell you those 6 weeks were some of the most fun times I've had playing football. We were able to bring NorthWood it's first State Championship and if memory serves me right, it's Chatard's only loss in a state championship game. Great memories to look back on every year around this time. 

In the second round of Sectionals we were losing to Culver Military 17-0 at halftime and came back to win 24-17. We also defeated Griffith, who at the time was the #1 team in 3A averaging about 50 points a game with absolute dudes on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. We were able to squeak out a 17-10 win against a well oiled Russ Radtke machine. 

Ohhhh, the horror!!😉🤣

As far as a run through one post-season, I think Heritage Hills' 2000 run is one of the more impressive. 

Consider that they played only 1 home game throughout the entire post-season (sectional final. It's a flaw in the rules the IHSAA uses to determine home field, but that's a discussion for another time).   Add to that the fact that the regional, semi-state and state championship games were all 3-plus hour bus rides to the Indy metro area against schools who moved up to 4A the following year (Whiteland, Roncalli, Zionsville), meaning those schools were already at a 4A enrollment level when HH beat them.   The cherry on top was the trick play touchdown in OT to win after Zionsville's furious 2nd half comeback.

1 hour ago, Offintheyard said:

Ohhhh, the horror!!😉🤣

No worries, you guys handed us 2 L's the following season and ended my high school career in the second round of Sectionals. I believe it was the first time in 15 years NorthWood had not made it to at least the Sectional Championship. :classic_angry:

4 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

2013 they likely would have won. But I think it’s an interesting scenario. If they played the 2013 game vs GS they would have looked at almost the same exact team they faced in 2015. So many 3 year starters on that 2015 GS team and a handful of 4 year starters

Actually I shortchanged Chatard.  They won 11 Championships in 18 years (1997-2015).  I forgot the 1997 Championship.  The only loss was the previously mentioned Northwood game in 2005.

I also agree with Screagle about 2017 Memorial and 2018 Memorial and West Lafayette being the best teams in the State not 6A or 5A those years.  Last year’s 3A Championship game was entertaining a State Championship game as I have ever seen.   The only State Championship game that was more fun to watch (that I can recall) was the 2015 Snider/New Pal game.

11 hours ago, Lysander said:

Same.

2 hours ago, Chet56 said:

Best coaching job I've ever seen was in that state championship game.  Chatard's bread and butter play was a short toss sweep with the QB acting as a blocker.  NorthWood must have spent hours and hours running that play in practice until everyone knew exactly what to do.  Someone (I think it was the play-side linebacker) came in an blew up the fullback as far back in the backfield as possible every single time Chatard ran that play.  Didn't try to make the tackle, just did his job every play.  That pushed the ball carrier back or disrupted the timing of the play just enough for someone else to make the tackle after only a short gain, if any.  It was very impressive work by the coaching staff.  Good players too.  I was very impressed.  It was a well deserved win for that program.  After learning its lesson the hard way, Chatard won the state championship the next two years.  I hate to be on the wrong side of it, but, I do love those stories.  Good thread!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Two other points:
- NorthWood lost to Jimtown by 4, to Concord by 3, and to Warsaw by 1 that season. One possession games that they could have easily ended up with a 6-3 regular season record.
- NLC was pretty solid that season. Concord finished 9-4 and was a 4A sectional champion that beat an 8-2 Wawasee team in the sectional semifinals and then an undefeated 11-0 Plymouth team in the sectional championship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bcaster said:

As far as a run through one post-season, I think Heritage Hills' 2000 run is one of the more impressive. 

Consider that they played only 1 home game throughout the entire post-season (sectional final. It's a flaw in the rules the IHSAA uses to determine home field, but that's a discussion for another time).   Add to that the fact that the regional, semi-state and state championship games were all 3-plus hour bus rides to the Indy metro area against schools who moved up to 4A the following year (Whiteland, Roncalli, Zionsville), meaning those schools were already at a 4A enrollment level when HH beat them.   The cherry on top was the trick play touchdown in OT to win after Zionsville's furious 2nd half comeback.

Couldn't have said it better!!!  One home game the whole tournament!!  On the road at Whiteland, At Roncalli (and the mysterious smokey woods or whatever the heck their team came running out of) I think HH had like 38 player on it!!  Unbelievable run!!

21 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

And let's not forget Luers won 4 in a row from 2009 - 2012.  Warren Central won their 4 titles from 2003 - 2006.  LCC is just the most recent program to do it.

The 2000s was the decade of the Warren Central Warriors. Until 2006, there had never been a single four-peat champion in Indiana High School Football history.

15 minutes ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

The 2000s was the decade of the Warren Central Warriors. Until 2006, there had never been a single four-peat champion in Indiana High School Football history.

Yep, I remember when they kept winning it.  Quite an achievement.  And now there are three 4 peat champs.  Sheridan went 4 times during the Nick Zackery years, but lost the last one I believe. I'd have to check but I think that's correct.