Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best postseason run

5 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yep, I remember when they kept winning it.  Quite an achievement.  And now there are three 4 peat champs.  Sheridan went 4 times during the Nick Zackery years, but lost the last one I believe. I'd have to check but I think that's correct.

Yes, lost in 2008 to Indianapolis Ritter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yep, I remember when they kept winning it.  Quite an achievement.  And now there are three 4 peat champs.  Sheridan went 4 times during the Nick Zackery years, but lost the last one I believe. I'd have to check but I think that's correct.

Yes, Sheridan went four in a row, but dropped that last time to Ritter by a TD in 2008.

Edit: Oooops, just saw @miner_35's response.

Edited by foxbat
  • Like 1

miner_35 and Foxbat:  I was thinking it was to Ritter because that was the year that Ritter came from behind to beat Linton in the semi-state.  Heart breaking loss for Miner fans.  Tyrone Walker ( I think that was his name) put on a show in the second half.  Some of the catches he made were incredible!  I believe he had 12 receptions for the game and only had  couple at halftime.  In the fourth quarter he was "money" for Ritter that night.

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

2008 is when Sheridan lost to Cardinal Ritter. 34-27 was the final score.

4 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

Couldn't have said it better!!!  One home game the whole tournament!!  On the road at Whiteland, At Roncalli (and the mysterious smokey woods or whatever the heck their team came running out of) I think HH had like 38 player on it!!  Unbelievable run!!

Haha the mysterious smokey woods may be the best way I've ever seen the Roncalli Woods described. Absolute buttkicking by HH ON THE ROAD against the defending 3A champs. Shut Roncalli out if I remember correctly. 

Mater Dei's "0-8 going to state" team in 1990 was impressive.  Technically they lost at semi-state to Scecina but that was their motto/slogan...whatever you want to call it. They went winless in the regular season but somehow rattled off 4 wins to almost make it to state!

In 1983 Fountain Central was 9-1 with an early season 6 point loss to North Mont. Week one was at top ranked Tri West. Final FC 24 Tri West 13

Week 2 home against top 5 North Davies and one of the states leading rushers in Brett Markel. Final FC 24 ND 0

Semi state at number 2 Sheridan. 30 degrees, hard wind and light freezing drizzle. Midway in the 4th quarter after a Sheridan punt   FC took possession on its own 1/2 yard line trailing 14-13. With a 40-70 pound size disadvantage FC ran all running plays between the tackles and wore down the massive Blackhawks and scored the winning TD for a 19-14 victory. The season was capped off with a 12-3 win over Churubusco for the 1A title . Pretty impressive I swear to God it is 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 6:51 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

2013 they likely would have won. But I think it’s an interesting scenario. If they played the 2013 game vs GS they would have looked at almost the same exact team they faced in 2015. So many 3 year starters on that 2015 GS team and a handful of 4 year starters

I don't know if Chatard would have won state in 2013.  It is nice to think so, but, we did lose to Brebeuf  (albeit the first game of the season) and Andrean was pretty damn good that year too.  But, it would have been great if Chatard would have played GS all four of those years from 2012 to 2015.  I think Chatard wins in 2013 but 2014 would have been a toss up and we all know how close the 2015 game was.  Still the worst conditions I've ever watched a game in.  

42 minutes ago, George Orwell 2 said:

I don't know if Chatard would have won state in 2013.  It is nice to think so, but, we did lose to Brebeuf  (albeit the first game of the season) and Andrean was pretty damn good that year too.  But, it would have been great if Chatard would have played GS all four of those years from 2012 to 2015.  I think Chatard wins in 2013 but 2014 would have been a toss up and we all know how close the 2015 game was.  Still the worst conditions I've ever watched a game in.  

2014 Heritage Hills was the team to beat.  They could run the bone and spread it out passing. Very good team. As a GS fan, I would argue that the 2015 team would not have been as good without HH in 2014. That senior class buckled down over the off season. Players were holding nightly film review sessions by themselves. They were absolutely determined to win it all.  Even though they lost, that class/team brought so much class performance and pride to every game that it is recognized as one of the best 3A teams of all time. Truly a special team. 

they were averaging 250 in the air 250 on the ground.  Defense was phenomenal.  

the best part of the whole thing though in my opinion....they showed the state that it’s not always about SoS.  Sometimes you can be just that much better while facing weaker teams 

I remember a great postseason run from earlier this decade. Back in 2013, Class 6A was fairly new. The Warren Central Warriors finished the regular season 4-3. Then the unthinkable happened. The Warriors went on a special postseason run. They beat three opponents that defeated them in the regular season. Warren Central captured its 8th State Championship 7-6 over Carmel. That was a very impressive run.

Edited by Warren Central Warrior

2 minutes ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

I remember a great postseason run from earlier this decade. Back in 2013, Class 6A was fairly new. The Warren Central Warriors finished the regular season 4-3. Then the unthinkable happened. The Warriors went on a special postseason run. They beat three opponents that defeated them in the regular season. Warren Central captured its 8th State Championship 7-6 over Carmel. That was a very impressive run. Nobody gave Warren Central a chance.

🙄

12 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

1988--we entered the tournament on a 6 game losing streak then won 4 in a row to reach the semistate. It's the only year we've ever won a sectional.

I have very fond memories of that run.  We had Bremen down I believe 14-0 at halftime and lost 21-14.  Two of my best athletic experiences have been playing (1988) and coaching(2003 at Garrett) in the semi-state. We just not quite good enough to get to Indy either time.

In 2003 we probably had the best post-season run an officiating crew ever had. From the first week of the sectional through the semi state our 5 games were all decided by 5 points or fewer, and all within the last 60 seconds of the 4th period. I know @Coach Nowlin remembers one of them. 😀 Then we worked the 5A title game in the RCA Dome between Penn and Warren Central ... which was another story entirely.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bobref said:

In 2003 we probably had the best post-season run an officiating crew ever had. From the first week of the sectional through the semi state our 5 games were all decided by 5 points or fewer, and all within the last 60 seconds of the 4th period. I know @Coach Nowlin remembers one of them. 😀 Then we worked the 5A title game in the RCA Dome between Penn and Warren Central ... which was another story entirely.

Sounds like so much hard work and dedication earned you the right to be part of these AWESOME games.  Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

That Penn and Warren Central game was an eye opener for a high school football player from Northern Indiana like myself. For years everybody looked at Penn as being the top dog in our area, rightfully so with all of their success. But watching that WC vs. Penn game from the Dome was unreal to see the difference in size and talent. I believe WC won by 50 or so. Was that when they had Desmond Tardy and also a LB who went on to Michigan maybe?

3 minutes ago, Chet56 said:

That Penn and Warren Central game was an eye opener for a high school football player from Northern Indiana like myself. For years everybody looked at Penn as being the top dog in our area, rightfully so with all of their success. But watching that WC vs. Penn game from the Dome was unreal to see the difference in size and talent. I believe WC won by 50 or so. Was that when they had Desmond Tardy and also a LB who went on to Michigan maybe?

It was 50-0 at halftime. Tardy rushed for 300 yds. The LB you refer to was “Brick Graham,” who went on to play at Michigan. In addition to being a fabulous linebacker, he was also their “wedgebuster” on the kick coverage team. I had a great view when WC kicked off — and the kicked off a lot. With a 40 yd. running start, when that guy hit the wedge it sounded like a bomb going off.

2005 NorthWood. Panthers were 3-5 heading into the sectional on a 2-game losing streak. Beat CMA to make the sectional title and thumped SB St. Joe's in the sectional title. Beat Lakeland to make it to Indy. Beat Chatard at Lucas Oil 7-0. Only time NorthWood has ever won a football title or that Bishop Chatard has ever lost one 

7 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

2014 Heritage Hills was the team to beat.  They could run the bone and spread it out passing. Very good team. As a GS fan, I would argue that the 2015 team would not have been as good without HH in 2014. That senior class buckled down over the off season. Players were holding nightly film review sessions by themselves. They were absolutely determined to win it all.  Even though they lost, that class/team brought so much class performance and pride to every game that it is recognized as one of the best 3A teams of all time. Truly a special team. 

they were averaging 250 in the air 250 on the ground.  Defense was phenomenal.  

the best part of the whole thing though in my opinion....they showed the state that it’s not always about SoS.  Sometimes you can be just that much better while facing weaker teams 

It was Crews and others. They were good but certainly not the depth that the late 90s and early 00s teams had, especially within the tackle box. The 1999 team is debatedly the best, but became decimated by injuries and suspensions. 

Jaspers run in 2002 was special for that community. The last Reitz state championship team was unbelievable... 2008?

On 10/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Basementbias said:

Best was our 2000 championship team (AC) that should have lost in the sectionals to Southern Wells who went on to win the 2001 championship. The game was pretty much over, but SW wanted to rub it in for slaying the proverbial giant and fumbled. AC got into field goal range and hit a game winner to move on their historic run. The 2004 AC Sectional championship team was a longshot. They were once again pitted against SW who had whipped them by around 40 in the regular season and upset them. I always say it was because of the Jeff and Joel magic (former WZBD radio announcers during those late 90s to early 2000s glory days) came back to do that game after not doing it for a couple years.

Was there for this. One of the best games I've ever seen in person!

I want to say @Bobref was at this one?

Edited by Hoosier Hawk
Addition

7 minutes ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

Was there for this. One of the best games I've ever seen in person!

I want to say @Bobref was at this one?

Close. I was the referee in the 2003 semistate game at AC against Seeger, when AC missed a chip shot field goal on the last play and lost 22-21. One of the best HS games I ever saw, and one of the games in our crew’s magical post-season run in 2003. Loved working at AC, and Rick Minnich was a great coach.

Just now, Bobref said:

Close. I was the referee in the 2003 semistate game at AC against Seeger, when AC missed a chip shot field goal on the last play and lost 22-21. One of the best HS games I ever saw, and one of the games in our crew’s magical post-season run in 2003. Loved working at AC, and Rick Minnich was a great coach.

That's right. I was at that one too. Another good one!