Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big Ten Expansion

Guest DT

28 minutes ago, Gipper said:

A lot of options.  Add Notre Dame/no way ND will accept, Texas, Missouri, Carolina, Louisville, Georgia Tech (mind as well keep thing new), and many other ones.  I liked it being a Midwest-only league, but trends these days basically prohibit that.  We'll get somebody good.

Well we didn't do so well with Rutgers and Maryland.  Time will tell I suppose.

4 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Athletically, not so much, although UMD's basketball is pretty good.  Economically, it has been a windfall as the BTN is now in the DC and NYC TV markets.

Oh yeah, Rutgers plays some pretty good chickball...

Edited by Gipper

Just now, Gipper said:

Athletically, not so much, although UMD's basketball is pretty good.  Economically, it has been a windfall as the BTN is now in the DC and NYC TV markets.

Oh yeah, Rutgers plats some pretty good chickball...

Screw all of that other stuff!  We're talking football here, Gipper.  LOL

3 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Doesn't ND ALWAYS (if not ALWAYS, would you happen to know when this began) end their season in California (either USC or Stanford)?

Wonder if ND joined the BT, if they could continue to do this.....

That's correct. When ND travels to California, it's always the final game. This year it's at Stanford, next year is at USC. When those teams travel to South Bend, it's always mid season. 

28 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Oh yeah, Rutgers plays some pretty good chickball...

C. Vivian Stringer

36 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

A big part of the reason to add Rutgers and Maryland was to placate Penn State.  PSU was feeling increasingly isolated from the rest of the conference and pushed hard to add more eastern schools and old rivals.  The addition of Rut and MD also gives lower tier schools like IU, PU, IL and MN the opportunity to move up in the conference hierarchy.

43 minutes ago, DT said:

A big part of the reason to add Rutgers and Maryland was to placate Penn State.  PSU was feeling increasingly isolated from the rest of the conference and pushed hard to add more eastern schools and old rivals.  The addition of Rut and MD also gives lower tier schools like IU, PU, IL and MN the opportunity to move up in the conference hierarchy.

Why didn't they just send them a big box of pacifiers in stead?  LOL  Sorry the thought just struck me funny.  I know the conference liked getting that East Coast money for the TV market.  Helps add to the B1G treasure chest. 

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Why didn't they just send them a big box of pacifiers in stead?  LOL  Sorry the thought just struck me funny.  I know the conference liked getting that East Coast money for the TV market.  Helps add to the B1G treasure chest. 

Penn State has some clout in this conference.  And they are closing the gap on OSU.  If Day leaves for the NFL, Lions could be top dog in a hurry.  

Edited by DT

15 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Hasn't Navy beaten ND 4 times since 2007?

ND may beat Navy a lot...but they are no cupcake.  Not many can live their life academically, with military service, and play a Div 1 sport.

I was thinking about that.  Back in the day the service academies were top football programs, at least the Army and the Navy were.  I think it was because back then the service academies had better athletes.  They were physically trained and better conditioned and could hang with anyone in the country.  The other schools weren't as conditioned or as physically fit as the academies were.  Now EVERYONE has weight rooms, training rooms/staffs, etc.  I think it's one reason that there is a big gap now.  You will see a class once in a while do well, but overall they aren't as dominant as back in the 30's, 40's and 50's.  Then again, I could be totally off base with my assessment.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Penn State has some clout in this conference.  And they are closing the gap on OSU.  If Day leaves for the NFL, Lions could be top dog in a hurry.  

The Buckeyes have heard that almost since Franklin took over (going to close the gap, closing the gap).   If/when Penn State starts winning the B1G championship and plays in the CFP, then maybe we can talk about those Lions from State Park.   They have been finishing in the top of the conference, but I want to see them in the playoffs.  Until then, they are just another team in the B1G who gets to go bowling every year.  I seriously doubt that Day is going to leave after just one season.  He's a great coach but hasn't even finished one year yet.  I believe it's his job as long as he wants to stay. Besides, he's quite young (for a head coach).

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

it was about the Benjamins, don't be fooled...

4 minutes ago, Gipper said:

it was about the Benjamins, don't be fooled...

It's always about the Benjamins these days, isn't it?  Whoever has the most toys, wins.  That is why I want the B1G to grab onto a couple more big time programs.  That would give the conference a couple more "toys" for the playoffs at the end of the season.

58 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

It's always about the Benjamins these days, isn't it?  Whoever has the most toys, wins.  That is why I want the B1G to grab onto a couple more big time programs.  That would give the conference a couple more "toys" for the playoffs at the end of the season.

I don't work in finance because I like my co-workers...

Given ND’s performance yesterday, are they really B1G-worthy?  Just kidding, Kelly has been accurately assessed on other posts and Michigan is no Our Ladies of the Hopeless Miracle.  Besides, the Domers check a very important box: geographic proximity.  We forget that these guys are student-athletes who have studies as well as athletic duties.  Why have them go half-way across the country when they have term papers to write, presentations to prepare for, the weird stuff science geeks do among other things?  The same can be said for high school conferences in our beloved Hoosier state: keep it local...

Edited by Gipper

• 3 weeks later...

I'd kick out Maryland and Rutgers to add Notre Dame and Iowa State. I would then add Pitt and WVU to expand to 16. Bring rivalries back to the sport as that is why it grew in the first place!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 2:12 PM, Basementbias said:

I'd kick out Maryland and Rutgers to add Notre Dame and Iowa State. I would then add Pitt and WVU to expand to 16. Bring rivalries back to the sport as that is why it grew in the first place!

I’d kick out all of the teams east of Ohio, as well as Nebraska.

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

How does that help the Big 10 with all other conferences expanding both in terms of number of teams and geography? What's the benefit of kicking out Penn State and Nebraska?

We also have to think about other sports...seems to me Maryland is pretty darn good in hoops....

We need both teams, OSU is among the best, kicking them out would be crazy.  And the Terps?  Pretty good in lacrosse as well...

5 hours ago, Gipper said:

We need both teams, OSU is among the best, kicking them out would be crazy.  And the Terps?  Pretty good in lacrosse as well...

Oh yeah. Crab cakes and lacrosse should have been the punchline in Wedding Crashers. We also have Johns Hopkins as a current B1G lacrosse member. 

4 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Ha! I work in Finance for a Global company and was called a bean counter by a sales rep of ours. Not sure if I should be offended or congratulated.

Typically, we sales guys would refer to you bean counters as the sales prevention office.

Your boss would be the Director of Sales Prevention

His boss VP of Sales Prevention

Then of course the CSPO.   Chief Sales Prevention Officer.