Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Playoff Qualification Story (MI)

I still agree with the playoff format similar to Texas and or California. 10 game regular season then depending on success or lack there of you move on or are done.

It is sad that Michigan is setup that way and they have a coach or coaches who circumvent the situation. Those coaches and schools should be fired and or fined for lack of ethics. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Temptation said:

For those of you wanting to ditch the “all in” playoff format...a quick chuckle.

https://t.co/ucUVrGuANA

Sorry.  I couldn’t help myself.

For me that's not an argument against all in. It's an incompetent state high school athletic association allowing it to happen and an unethical coach.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, GV5 said:

I still agree with the playoff format similar to Texas and or California. 10 game regular season then depending on success or lack there of you move on or are done.

It is sad that Michigan is setup that way and they have a coach or coaches who circumvent the situation. Those coaches and schools should be fired and or fined for lack of ethics. 

Texas is tough.  In some cases and some districts, your season is pretty close to done after Week 3, even if you are only dropping games by a field goal and are ranked.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Texas is tough.  In some cases and some districts, your season is pretty close to done after Week 3, even if you are only dropping games by a field goal and are ranked.

This is correct.  Drop a couple close early district games with some good opponents still to come and you've dug yourself a pretty deep hole.  Another issue, which has gone away to some extent, is having very weak districts or  on the flip side what we call "stacked" districts.

No system is perfect.  Still like the idea of having to earn the right to play post season, though.

Edited by Bonecrusher

24 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

This is correct.  Drop a couple close early district games with some good opponents still to come and you've dug yourself a pretty deep hole.  Another issue, which has gone away to some extent, is having very weak districts or  on the flip side what we call "stacked" districts.

No system is perfect.  Still like the idea of having to earn the right to play post season, though.

My alma mater is in 6A District 17 and I also lived in that 6A District 9 grouping before moving here to the Midwest.

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

You probably realize this is a powerful argument for a playoff qualification system. The implication of your statement is that games where playoff qualification is an issue are more meaningful than those where it isn't. We have 9 of those latter type of games in Indiana.

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You probably realize this is a powerful argument for a playoff qualification system. The implication of your statement is that games where playoff qualification is an issue are more meaningful than those where it isn't. We have 9 of those latter type of games in Indiana.

I will be honest, my high school playing days were during Indiana's playoff system. We were kind of screwed from the start having a 2A school in our conference that we had to play hurt us tremendously. We typically had to rely on other schools to lose for us to make the playoffs.  I don't recall ever having more emphasis put on any game because of playoff implications. I don't recall the coaches talking about the playoffs, until late in the year when we were rooting for other teams to lose. We prepared and played hard in every week, playoffs were never given a thought. Having played in a playoff system, and coached in an all in format, there is one constant, losing sucks.  

17 hours ago, Temptation said:

For those of you wanting to ditch the “all in” playoff format...a quick chuckle.

https://t.co/ucUVrGuANA

Sorry.  I couldn’t help myself.

Really fail to see where this correlates in the discussion between the all-in and playoff qualification? Couldn't a team in Indiana theoretically forfeit every single one of their regular season games keep players healthy while still being admitted to the postseason? Actually, I'm surprised most teams in Indiana don't rest their starters/play a week 9 game under the current format.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Really fail to see where this correlates in the discussion between the all-in and playoff qualification? Couldn't a team in Indiana theoretically forfeit every single one of their regular season games keep players healthy while still being admitted to the postseason? Actually, I'm surprised most teams in Indiana don't rest their starters/play a week 9 game under the current format.

Some effectively do by scheduling an "easy" opponent in Week 9. IHSAA could stop this practice or at least lessen it by saying only conference games or games against teams no more than one class apart in Week 9. ADs would hate it though. Out of state opponents would have to be no more than one class removed if classified using the current class alignment cutoffs. 

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

My alma mater is in 6A District 17 and I also lived in that 6A District 9 grouping before moving here to the Midwest.

Ah, the Houston & NE Dallas areas.  We're in 2A Div 1 Dist 8 (Waco area) for the past 13 years.  Don't know if you had any interest in TX small school football, we were in the same district as Mart for several years.  Played them a handful of times for district championship - they won.

Regarding the article in the OP's post, the crap that coach pulled wouldn't have flown at our school - and probably not with the UIL (the IHSAA of Texas).

We used to have a bye week for district champs years ago down here.  While a bye is good for hurt players getting extra time to mend and being able to do some extra scheming, I've seen/heard of that bye week doing some weird things to teams in round 2.  Build up a little rust, timing off, head not 100% in the game, etc.

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

I knew you couldn’t resist...

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

In the regular season , your playing for a conference championship . 

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

Ah, the Houston & NE Dallas areas.  We're in 2A Div 1 Dist 8 (Waco area) for the past 13 years.  Don't know if you had any interest in TX small school football, we were in the same district as Mart for several years.  Played them a handful of times for district championship - they won.

Regarding the article in the OP's post, the crap that coach pulled wouldn't have flown at our school - and probably not with the UIL (the IHSAA of Texas).

We used to have a bye week for district champs years ago down here.  While a bye is good for hurt players getting extra time to mend and being able to do some extra scheming, I've seen/heard of that bye week doing some weird things to teams in round 2.  Build up a little rust, timing off, head not 100% in the game, etc.

Yep ... those two districts produced the 6A Division I and Division II champs back in 2017.  My wife's from that District 11 group that produced the 6A Division II champs last year.

Mart's a tough opponent ... won 2A the last two year's in a row.

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Some effectively do by scheduling an "easy" opponent in Week 9. IHSAA could stop this practice or at least lessen it by saying only conference games or games against teams no more than one class apart in Week 9. ADs would hate it though. Out of state opponents would have to be no more than one class removed if classified using the current class alignment cutoffs. 

Not everyone is in a conference.  What about the independents?

• Like 1

I'd personally keep the all in format, but have a points system for seeding teams or seeding the top half of the teams in either sectional or regional. Preferably by regionals to create the matchups. Still have the 3rd game (1-4A) and (for most) 2nd game (5-6A) as sectional champions.  

• Like 1

Sitting at home on a rainy Saturday and watching a Chicago Catholic League game between Marist and Loyola Academy. Loyola is a heavy favorite, but Marist leads by one at half. All the broadcast team can talk about is how Marist is playing with desperation because they need to win to make the playoffs. Too bad we will never be able to generate that kind of excitement for a regular season game in Indiana.

• Like 1
  • Sit and spin 1

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Sitting at home on a rainy Saturday and watching a Chicago Catholic League game between Marist and Loyola Academy. Loyola is a heavy favorite, but Marist leads by one at half. All the broadcast team can talk about is how Marist is playing with desperation because they need to win to make the playoffs. Too bad we will never be able to generate that kind of excitement for a regular season game in Indiana.

I think that's just us Catholics ... last week a couple of parishioners were outside the confessional betting a round of drinks on whose list of sins would draw the bigger penance from the priest.  In case you were wondering, I won. 😄

• Haha 3

On 10/25/2019 at 12:16 PM, Bobref said:
     On 10/25/2019 at 12:13 PM, GOLDRUSH1985 said:  In the regular season , your playing for a conference championship . 

And, in the example given, a Texas school could still be playing for a conference championship, too. The observation remains valid.

That's correct, Texas schools are playing for conference (district) championships.

To address GOLDRUSH's point the difference is in Indiana the conference championship is for bragging rights only (IIRC); in Texas your finishing place determines your seeding in playoffs, so there's more on the line and teams are more motivated to win the conf./dist. championship or place as high as possible.

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Thanks 1