Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SECTIONAL 40 ROUND 2

Week one has come and gone. Don't think there were really any surprises in round one unless you picked Tell City and that was kind of a toss up game.  The final score sort of reflected that even though it was a shutout for Forrest Park (9 - 0 )  The other 3 games showed the winners all scoring 50+ points.  Given who the four remaining teams are, these games look about as evenly matched as you could have asked for in terms of records and ratings/polls.  

Forest Park @ North Knox:   Haven't seen a prediction on this game yet but looking at the Sags you would think the Warriors will be the favorite.  FP has a slightly better SOS but NK is at home.  The Warriors did give up 21 points to SS but maybe they had a big lead and some of that was  during JV time.  I like the Warriors in a close contest.

Linton @ Mater Dei:  This is the one a lot of people wanted to see for the final but the draw doesn't know that.  Both teams are coming off round one blowout wins.  Both programs are no strangers to big games and Thanksgiving weekend dates.  No doubt that Mater Dei has the better SOS.  Linton has beefed up their schedule to help with games such as this, but will it be enough?  There is no doubt that MD will be the best team that Linton will have faced all year..   According to this week's sags, MD will be the favorite coming in.  Something like around 7 points.  The Miners are 0 fer against the likes of Ritter, Scecina, and LCC.  Will Mater Dei join that list?  My heart says Miners but my head says Mater Dei wins and moves on and will represent the 2A South.

32 minutes ago, tango said:

John Harrell has Linton as the favorite.  

That's just insane.  Yesterday's Sags had Mater Dei 4+ points better than Linton in the ratings plus the 1.45 for home field.  So I rounded it up to 7 points.   I see now that Harrell has it 28 - 24 for the Miners...….as if Mater Dei needs any motivation.  LOL  But the Sags have changed this morning.  I still say there is no way MD is the underdog no matter what the numbers say.  Looking forward to a great ball game.  No matter what, the winner is going to earn it.

Should be a great game btwn two very good football teams.  Good luck to both teams for a well played and injury free game!

Picking up from a previous thread about the Bowl, LS will get to see the Bowl up close & personal for the first time, if I am not mistaken.  Here are a couple of suggestions for those LS fans who really want to be able to see the game.  While the visiting bleachers are larger than usual, viewing the game from there is limited due to team typically standing along the sidelines btwn the 40 yd lines. This and the low risers of the visiting bleachers will make it difficult to see much of the action on near-side of the field up to about where the yard markers are painted. (see image below)  An alternate area to consider for better viewing would be "the curve".  This section is located in the South end of the field, closest to the river.  You will get a much better view of the game - at least in my opinion - than just about anywhere on visitor's bleachers.  mi dos centavos.

image.png.f690db7415dfbd9f70c714733f41b5a2.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Week one has come and gone. Don't think there were really any surprises in round one unless you picked Tell City and that was kind of a toss up game.  The final score sort of reflected that even though it was a shutout for Forrest Park (9 - 0 )  The other 3 games showed the winners all scoring 50+ points.  Given who the four remaining teams are, these games look about as evenly matched as you could have asked for in terms of records and ratings/polls.  

Forest Park @ North Knox:   Haven't seen a prediction on this game yet but looking at the Sags you would think the Warriors will be the favorite.  FP has a slightly better SOS but NK is at home.  The Warriors did give up 21 points to SS but maybe they had a big lead and some of that was  during JV time.  I like the Warriors in a close contest.

Linton @ Mater Dei:  This is the one a lot of people wanted to see for the final but the draw doesn't know that.  Both teams are coming off round one blowout wins.  Both programs are no strangers to big games and Thanksgiving weekend dates.  No doubt that Mater Dei has the better SOS.  Linton has beefed up their schedule to help with games such as this, but will it be enough?  There is no doubt that MD will be the best team that Linton will have faced all year..   According to this week's sags, MD will be the favorite coming in.  Something like around 7 points.  The Miners are 0 fer against the likes of Ritter, Scecina, and LCC.  Will Mater Dei join that list?  My heart says Miners but my head says Mater Dei wins and moves on and will represent the 2A South.

Interesting...

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

That's just insane.  Yesterday's Sags had Mater Dei 4+ points better than Linton in the ratings plus the 1.45 for home field.  So I rounded it up to 7 points.   I see now that Harrell has it 28 - 24 for the Miners...….as if Mater Dei needs any motivation.  LOL  But the Sags have changed this morning.  I still say there is no way MD is the underdog no matter what the numbers say.  Looking forward to a great ball game.  No matter what, the winner is going to earn it.

Calpreps has Linton 26-22

57 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

I ran this match up on Calpreps a few days ago and it had MD as a slight favorite.  Now, Harrell picks the Miners as well.   MD will have its hands full, no doubt.  

Hopefully its a Great game! Don't wanna see a blow out either way. Fingers crossed.

I've done some very limited research (I'm waiting for Miner Pride to get the in depth stuff). But season stat totals for Linton and EMD are pretty comparable. 

Each team has thrown for around 1,000 yards and rushed for around 2,000 yards for the year. Linton has a slight edge in both categories per game, but not by much. Linton has ran for more rushing TD's for the season but the passing TD's are about the same. EMD has thrown quite a few more interceptions than Linton, and the Linton defense has picked off quite a few more passes than the EMD defense. 

Sacks for the season and per game are about even for both teams.  I did notice EMD hasn't missed a PAT all year and they aren't afraid to kick (and make) the occasional field goal. Usually no further than the 30 yard line. 

Now I know these are just numbers on paper, and I don't have player info/sizes of their lineman, receivers, or running back.  And we all know Mater Dei has played a tough SOS so that has to impact their basic season numbers. But I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if it helps anyone gather a little bit of insight on MD. 

I hope it's a great game with a Miner win, but I think we all realize we're playing a very good team. 

3 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

I ran this match up on Calpreps a few days ago and it had MD as a slight favorite.  Now, Harrell picks the Miners as well.   MD will have its hands full, no doubt.  

I think JH has lost its mind. I just can't see how they are listing Linton as a 4 point favorite. 

Not that it's needed but talk about giving MD extra motivation. Their going to be considered the underdog?  In their house??  I think it would get me fired up. 

Also another thing I wanna throw out there as someone did earlier according to Max preps Mater Dei’s QB has 10 interceptions. To me Mater Dei is still the favorite I don’t care what any rankings say, but I don’t doubt the miners can play with them at all especially with those stats. Just speculation and opinion but if a QB was to come into a game like this and throw an interception or 2 early that could be a HUGE momentum swing especially if the miners could capitalize on them. Not saying the miners couldn’t do the same I’m just pointing out something that could definitely help them in this dog fight they got coming up.

8 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Word on the street Linton will be without MLB and leading tackler Gabe Eslinger. Gonna be hard to replace that athleticism.

It was reported he got a concussion on the opening kickoff.  But the 2 kids that replaced him did well if I remember correctly.

Just now, Footballfan said:

Also another thing I wanna throw out there as someone did earlier according to Max preps Mater Dei’s QB has 10 interceptions. To me Mater Dei is still the favorite I don’t care what any rankings say, but I don’t doubt the miners can play with them at all especially with those stats. Just speculation and opinion but if a QB was to come into a game like this and throw an interception or 2 early that could be a HUGE momentum swing especially if the miners could capitalize on them. Not saying the miners couldn’t do the same I’m just pointing out something that could definitely help them in this dog fight they got coming up.

The Miners had zero turnovers and only 2 penalties against North Posey.  They are going to need a repeat to stay in the game with MD.

16 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I'm pretty sure no one wants to see these in final except Linton and MD fans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthKnox94 said:

I'm pretty sure no one wants to see these in final except Linton and MD fans.

One thing is for sure, only one WILL be in the final.  LOL  The Warriors are in a good spot. Now just take out Forrest Park and you'll get to meet one of them in the final.   I think both of the these finals will be great ball games.  Don't know much about FP but shutting out Tell City says they must have a decent defense.  I've already talked on here in other topcis about North Knox's defense so it could be a low scoring game.  Maybe a turnover decides who wins?

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

One thing is for sure, only one WILL be in the final.  LOL  The Warriors are in a good spot. Now just take out Forrest Park and you'll get to meet one of them in the final.   I think both of the these finals will be great ball games.  Don't know much about FP but shutting out Tell City says they must have a decent defense.  I've already talked on here in other topcis about North Knox's defense so it could be a low scoring game.  Maybe a turnover decides who wins?

Well...if we do the paper math...we should win...but, we got to play our game and stay focused.  I like our chances if we just play our game.

1 hour ago, NorthKnox94 said:

Well...if we do the paper math...we should win...but, we got to play our game and stay focused.  I like our chances if we just play our game.

I like your chances too.  If your defense continues to play well, I see no reason why you shouldn't be in the sectional final.  Best of luck to the Warriors and good health!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

You might not want to overlook Western Boones. I swear to God you shouldn’t 

Oh I gotcha there! Its a Long road. Webo and a few other teams in the South are chomping at the bits. That Cass- Pioneer game really blew my mind though.

22 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Hopefully its a Great game! Don't wanna see a blow out either way. Fingers crossed.

Really? If we beat MD by multiple scores I would be estatic and leave the Bowl with a huge smile on my face. Not my expectation however.