Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SECTIONAL 40 ROUND 2

I am looking back at our sectional game in 2018 with FP, and I see they just had 2 seniors on the Oline, and 2 seniors starting on D.   One of those seniors played on both lines.. so essentially 3 seniors at that point contributing.  I know they had some injuries coming into that game, but definitely young. 3 freshman starting on O including the QB.   Maxpreps just has 1 game for FP in terms of stats...but I see some of the same names.. Day at RB, Uebelhor at QB, Berg on both sides, Knust, Schipp, Verkamp, Mohr. 

FP is Senior and Sophmore heavy, I believe 13 of each class on the roster, leaving about 6-7 Frosh and Juniors in each class, to make up their roster of between 40-42 players.  

Should be ( I hope for our sake) a good game in Bicknell.  Also, looking forward to MD-Linton score. From the sound of things, North Knox will be if not the biggest, one of the top 3 biggest lines we will play against this year.  Good Luck to all teams still playing! 

1 hour ago, RangerMan said:

FP is Senior and Sophmore heavy, I believe 13 of each class on the roster, leaving about 6-7 Frosh and Juniors in each class, to make up their roster of between 40-42 players.  

Should be ( I hope for our sake) a good game in Bicknell.  Also, looking forward to MD-Linton score. From the sound of things, North Knox will be if not the biggest, one of the top 3 biggest lines we will play against this year.  Good Luck to all teams still playing! 

Stroud 6'0 215, Kahre 6-3 310; Burke 5'11 250, Keller 6'0 240 and Haag 6'2 225 across the front all Seniors.   Add another Sr, TE Noland at 6'1 190.  

Defense is heavy Senior dominant, but 2 sophs are big contributors Beau Noland #34 at DE (6'2 205) and Holman Doades #20 at DB (he also is big on the offensive side)

3 seniors LB's in the older Noland, Conrad (5'10 200) and Urbain (6'1 160)... and upfront Haag 6'2 225, Burke again, Wolfe 6'4 320 and younger Noland.    They did hold Linton to just 29 points, really 21 up until the last 3 minutes... but Linton also put 436 offense on the Warriors.. 299 on the ground, 137 in the air.  They made big stops that kept Linton at bay, and I think that senior leadership kept them focused.   They were without Urbain from mid-2nd on, and without their top RB Richter at about the same time...but their passing game kept them in the game (154 passing to 125 rushing). 

Should be a tremendous environment.. I suspect FP will bring a strong contigent from Ferdinand... and I am sure northern eastern and western Knox county will be out n force! 

• Like 1

I'm rooting for the Warriors against FP and I'm thinking this will not be a close game as NK takes the win.  NK is going to be a tough opponent for anyone they face and I believe they are playing well and with that energy and fire that really kicks it up a notch.  

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

So subtracting the Sags gives Linton a 1.33 advantage.  But if you add in the 1.45 points for home field, that makes Mater Dei a .12 point favorite.  Whew!  Linton is still the underdog!

I'm wondering how accurate Sagarin is now with the introduction of the running clock.  Mater Dei drops after winning 56-0 against a team they could have probably beat 150-0.

This should be a good game against 2 tradition rich and well coached teams.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, Reb08 said:

If I remember correctly, last year's game wasn't really that close.  However, this is a different year.    Will go 34-6 Mater Dei.   Once again, would love to see Linton win and be wrong about this outcome.  

And last year’s Linton team wasn’t quite the same as this year’ team.

As you said, this is a different year.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:03 PM, Miner_Pride said:

I do think that atmosphere will be something to watch it's affect on how we come out in the opening quarter.  It will be different that playing at the Roy.  We cant afford to make mistakes.. and we dang sure can't get down early.  I think the more the game goes that we are even.. or hopefully up..or at least within a score... the more our chances can grown.  Getting down 17-0 (ala against Scecina in 2017) early... and it's hard to climb back on the road.  We have to be able to move the ball.  Mater  Dei is definitely a disciplined team, and they've played some difficult competition... big fast competition.   I've said it a lot these past 2 weeks... these last two games have seen the best Linton has looked since the 2016 championship run.  They definitely are playing at their most confident level...and are executing solidly in every phase.  But Providence and North Posey are not on the level of Mater Dei.  But we did take care of business as we were supposed to. 

I remember how I felt going into the games with Ritter....and I can remember how in both cases Linton "didn't stand a chance" against the athleticism, or the speed, or the size, or the history, or the magnitude... because back there I don't think there was the respect for Linton in big games.  Both Ritter games we lost, but both we very well should have won... but that's not the point... which is that we played nose to nose with them.  Scecina much the same scenario...other than getting down 17-0 in the first meeting.  That second meeting was one for the ages, and we couldn't get it in from 1/2 yard away.  Lutheran was supposed to come down and tear up one year...  I guess my point is that you have to buy in 100% that you can win a game like that.. against the odds.  I don't have doubt these kids have that same feeling within them that I've seen in other years....   

Dang! I hung it up too soon! Hate not being at the Bowl Friday! Semistate-type game in the sectional semifinals!

Oh well, I’ll be watching and listening 

2 hours ago, Uncle Rico said:

I'm wondering how accurate Sagarin is now with the introduction of the running clock.  Mater Dei drops after winning 56-0 against a team they could have probably beat 150-0.

This should be a good game against 2 tradition rich and well coached teams.

Obviously I am a die-hard Linton guy.  I will always believe the Miners have a chance to win against anybody anywhere on any given night. I think our guys will always give the maximum effort and believe... and I think our coaches always do what they do best to get our team in a position to get that W.  Mater Dei absolutely is  the favorite in this game. It's in Evansville..at the Reitz Bowl... They've beaten Indian Creek (3A 7-3) in a dominant way 49-14... beat a good North team 45-27 (5-4 5A), beat Central 10-7 by a field goal (8-2 4A).  Losses came to two very good teams, and by small margins.. Castle (5A 5-4) 13-0 where Happe threw 4 Ints… and Memorial (4A 8-1) 10-3!  Those are 5 teams any small 2A school is gonna have trouble with.  You can't just assume you'd beat a 3-7 4A Reitz team at their house even if they are 3-7...but MD did just that 31-28.  I think Reitz would give most any small 2A team a loss.  BUt you gotta believe on any given night you can win.  We have to play flawless ball...and I feel we are much better this year than last, and better than we were at the beginning of the season.  I can see Mater Dei is much improved from 2018 as well.  A lot of the names are gonna be the same from last year.  Luke Lannan ran for 122 and 2 scores for Linton and had 22 total tackles.  Cole Happe passed 16-29 for 226 yards and 3 TDs. Dyer, Goodman, Howard, Robertson, Mongeau, Rogers and other Miners... Lannert, Kassenbrock, McGrew, Folz, Davidson, Schnurr and other Wildcats...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

dObviously I am a die-hard Linton guy.  I will always believe the Miners have a chance to win against anybody anywhere on any given night. I think our guys will always give the maximum effort and believe... and I think our coaches always do what they do best to get our team in a position to get that W.  Mater Dei absolutely is  the favorite in this game. It's in Evansville..at the Reitz Bowl... They've beaten Indian Creek (3A 7-3) in a dominant way 49-14... beat a good North team 45-27 (5-4 5A), beat Central 10-7 by a field goal (8-2 4A).  Losses came to two very good teams, and by small margins.. Castle (5A 5-4) 13-0 where Happe threw 4 Ints… and Memorial (4A 8-1) 10-3!  Those are 5 teams any small 2A school is gonna have trouble with.  You can't just assume you'd beat a 3-7 4A Reitz team at their house even if they are 3-7...but MD did just that 31-28.  I think Reitz would give most any small 2A team a loss.  BUt you gotta believe on any given night you can win.  We have to play flawless ball...and I feel we are much better this year than last, and better than we were at the beginning of the season.  I can see Mater Dei is much improved from 2018 as well.  A lot of the names are gonna be the same from last year.  Luke Lannan ran for 122 and 2 scores for Linton and had 22 total tackles.  Cole Happe passed 16-29 for 226 yards and 3 TDs. Dyer, Goodman, Howard, Robertson, Mongeau, Rogers and other Miners... Lannert, Kassenbrock, McGrew, Folz, Davidson, Schnurr and other Wildcats...

One thing I've noticed about this year's Miner team is they are still in the top 50 in the state in statistical categories even though their SOS has increased.  Granted they aren't scoring 50 points per game like they did against a weaker schedule.  Granted they are giving up 12 points per game instead of 5 or 6 like they used to.  Granted they are winning by 26 points per game instead of 40 like they used to.  But as I said, their SOS is tougher now.  Win or lose, I am proud of what they have accomplished this year.  Other than the 2016 championship team I have to say this has been one of my favorite Miner teams in my 25 years of supporting the Miners.  I really liked the 97/98 team too but I think I like this year's team a little bit better.  That 97/98 team was full of Big lads.  Matt Gamble still holds the season rushing record at Linton (1,730 yards).  He was such a powerful runner.  Watched a game one night when he dragged 4 would be tacklers for almost 20 yards and STILL scored.  He was a beast on the field.  He was pretty much a straight up runner (like John Riggins back in the day for the Redskins) and would just run you over.

Edited by itiswhatitis

So have you left Linton yet?  Sorry to see you go TS!  Have enjoyed your coverage.

Yes, I have left. I’m in Indy now.

Glad you enjoyed the coverage. I tried to give Miner football the coverage it deserves.

9 hours ago, ts32 said:

Yes, I have left. I’m in Indy now.

Glad you enjoyed the coverage. I tried to give Miner football the coverage it deserves.

Thanks for all you did for Miner sports!  Going to miss seeing you on the sidelines.  I still remember when you, my son, and I were all right on the goal line during the Scecina semi-state game and thought Linton had scored.  LOL  That was one crazy night!  Just one of many memories from Miner football lore.  Best of luck in your newest endeavor!

Edited by itiswhatitis
  • Like 1

I think Linton would be much better prepared for this game with Mater Dei if they had played the mighty Parke Heritage Wolfs. Sometimes you can gain from losing in a regular season game if it better prepares you for the playoffs. There would be no shame in the Miners losing to the Wolfs.

• Haha 2
  • Kill me now 1

26 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I think Linton would be much better prepared for this game with Mater Dei if they had played the mighty Parke Heritage Wolfs. Sometimes you can gain from losing in a regular season game if it better prepares you for the playoffs. There would be no shame in the Miners losing to the Wolfs.

We aren't playing those bums until they upgrade their endzone cameras.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I think Linton would be much better prepared for this game with Mater Dei if they had played the mighty Parke Heritage Wolfs. Sometimes you can gain from losing in a regular season game if it better prepares you for the playoffs. There would be no shame in the Wolfs losing to the Miners!

Fixed it for you 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ts32 said:

Fixed it for you 😜

Hilarious ts32!  That guy has been posting the same thing on almost every Linton game this year.  I think they are the new token troll on the GID.  LOL  I just ignore them.  They remind me of the saying:  "it's better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".  

47 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

They remind me of the saying:  "it's better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".  

In that case, Tanka reminds me of a large mouth bass. 

Maybe it's just me but 2A threads seem like the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse with only a few of us hanging around.  A few signals of life from NK fans but w/o going back through the thread have we even heard anything from FP fans, or EMD? Personally at this point I'm willingly petting the trolls for entertainment sadly enough. 

Maybe I became spoiled from our wonderful banter in our days in 1A threads.  We had a lot of intense and engaging conversations over the years. But now.....seems like pulling teeth to get much going 😕

Edited by lp3coda
Typo

Hilarious ts32!  That guy has been posting the same thing on almost every Linton game this year.  I think they are the new token troll on the GID.  LOL  I just ignore them.  They remind me of the saying:  "it's better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".  

I think he’s pretty funny actually. I get a kick out of him.

14 minutes ago, ts32 said:

I think he’s pretty funny actually. I get a kick out of him.

I was amused for awhile too, but his schtick is becoming a little stale.  I wish he'd at least freshen up with some new material.  Ugh...even the trolls aren't doing things proper in 2A. 

48 minutes ago, superjay said:

This is where I’d be if I lived in SW Indiana.  What kind of crowd is expected?  I know Linton travels well.  With Heritage Hills and Gibson Southern part 2, there’s some good football this weekend in Evansville area.

I certainly hope MIner fans load up their vehicles and make the trip to Evansville to A) Support the MIners and B) get to be in the Reitz Bowl!   Linton has always had a terrific fan base both home and away...and still has a terrific fan base in and around Linton... but in the advent of Video Streaming there hasn't been near the bodies in the stands in road games particularly...Perhaps because of the magnitude of this one.. folks will make a night of it and be at this game in the flesh.  This team deserves that.

• Like 1