Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SECTIONAL 40 ROUND 2

THought I'd reflect on last year's Mater Dei- Linton Sectional 2 game:

At the Roy.  What a horrid night it was... pure mud on the field from 20 to 20.  Clearly it would effect both teams in many ways. In the end...Linton lost 6 fumbles... most deep in MD territory.  MD would have 3 of their own, 2 of those interceptions.

After a Miner 3 and out to start, Mater Dei drove 74 yards in 7 plays culminating in a Cole Happe to Hunter Taylor 29 yard TD strike, 7-0 Wildcats at 8:17.  The Miners would answer right back from own 33 with Lannan busting up middle for a 45 yard TD run, and we were tied at 6:50.  MD 3 and out, Linton gets ball at MD 41, reach their 29 with a 1st Down, then turn the ball over on a fumble.  Again Mater Dei would punt to Miner 30, but a Hold on Linton forced a Miner punt right back.  Then Linton's Gavin House picked off a Happe pass putting Linton at the MD 26.  Linton would get to the Wildcat 14, and on 3rd and 1 another killer holding penalty pushed us pack, and following 2 incompletions, the Wildcats  would hold and take over at their own 24 as the 2nd Quarter barely had started.

The Wildcats would then go 76 yards yards in just 6 plays with another Happe TD pass, this time to Austin Wulff.  Happe had scrambled to buy time, and Wulff on a wheel route and been left wide open. The PAT was blocked, putting the score 12-7 MD at 5:19 of the second quarter.  Disaster for Linton as House fumbles at the Miner 14.  4 Plays later, MD would score as Happe went in from the 2, and it was 20-7 Wildcats at 3:16.  Disaster then again, and Dyer fumbles at Linton's own 29.  This time the Miner D would keep MD out, and a 4th down pass was incomplete. That is how the first half would end.  ND with 166 yards Linton at 117.  Linton's mostly on ground with 103, Mater Dei's thru the air with 147.

The WIldcats got a good return to start the 2nd half at their 48, and 8 plays later John McGrew busted in from the 4, and at 8:29 the hope was fading for Linton, down 27-7.  Offensively the Miners were very unproductive,  totaling -3 in total yards, and in fact having the ball just once resulting in a 3 and out.  MD would take that first punt at their own 49, get a 36 yard Happe to Wulff pass, then against on a 4th and 5 from the Miner 10 for another Wildcat score.  At 4:10 now 34-7 MD.  Still more Miner detriment as the following kickoff ended in another Miner lost Fumble.  Facing 4th and 7, Happe had heavy pressure and heaved a pass that was picked off and nearly returned for a long TD... but, a roughing the passer flag eliminated it all. 

As the 4th quarter kicked in, and the penalty assessed, McGrew walked in the endzone from 3 putting MD up 40-7 with 11:00 to go.  Linton would still fight, reaching the Wildcat 29, but Goodman was sacked, and coughed up the ball again.  This time Mater Dei would fumble right back.  At this point MD had mostly 2's on the field, and Linton would score on a Trey Goodman to Lance Dyer 22 yard pass play, at 7:52, making the margin 40-14.  Linton would reach the MD 23 again, but a snap over Goodman's head ended that drive.  Luke Lannan would bust through for the last points of Linton's season from 20 yards out with under a minute remaining to close out the scoring-- 40-21 Mater Dei advanced.

Linton rushing 34-144, Passing 6-19-98   242 total

Mater Dei rushing 39-68 Passing 16-29-226  294 total

11 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

That's what i meant...not what I said...and thanks...just came out wrong...

No problem.  For what it's worth here are the state rankings for strength of schedules of the 4 teams:

Mater Dei - 128thth

Linton - 181sr

Forrest Park - 243rd

North Knox - 261st.

Here are the teams' rankings in the Sags (state and class)

Linton - 80th in state and 6th in class

Mater Dei - 89th in state and 7th in class

North Knox - 139th in state and 16th in class

Forrest Park - 213th in state and 37th in class

I think Linton has played enough quality teams that strength of schedule shouldn't be a factor.  Both teams are much improved from last year.  Linton runs an offense that Mater Dei doesn't see too often and it'll be interesting to see if they can deal with it.  This game will most likely be decided by the offensive and defensive lines, as most games are.

Thought I would take a look at the NK Warriors!

NK came into 2019 with a lot of returning starters on both sides of the ball.  They would have to replace their biggest offense weapon in RB Gavyn Doane...as well as Thomas Keegan at QB, tackle Destin Hardy and OLB Lee Endicott.  Reece Hammelman would move to QB from starting at H back, Cole Richter the heir apparent to Doane.  Most positve was the return of 4 of 5 Olinemen, and 10 of 12 defensive starters that figured to be the Warriors strong point.  

Coming off a 5-6 2018 campaign, the Warriors are in the midst of the best season under Coach Josh Chambers, with 7 wins the most since a 9-3 2014 year (under Coach Shawn McDowell).  They had only achieved 7 wins in 4 seasons since 2000.  The Warriors dropped their opening tilt against 6-4 3A Sullivan 15-12; a game which NK could have won, perhaps should have.  They ran off shutouts at 1-9 Eastern Greene, and at home vs 3-7 Tecumseh, both 1A, then traveled to 4A Boonville to hand the 5-4 Pioneers a 34-20 setback.  Next up a 54-0 slam on 1A 2-8 North Central. This set up the Warriors at 4-1 heading into big battles with 6-4 3A Vincennes Lincoln, and 9-1 2A Linton.  The Battle with Lincoln was hard fought, but went the Alices way in the end 12-6, and the following week a 28-13 loss to the Miners that was a one score game midway through the 4th quarter.  They'd respond to those back to back losses by finishing the regular season blasting both 7-3 1A North Daviess 44-12, and 0-10 3A Washington 54-22.   That carried over to a road 55-21 win over 1-9 South Spencer in the opening round of sectional 48.

image.png.a77892f6d12f79055dbe44374f91a8ee.png

image.png.c1347dd205d59d758ce91eefcc2c945d.png

First and formost, The Warriors are a rushing team.   averaging 354.4 rush yards a game,  396-3,190 with 44 rush TDs.  SR #23 Cole Richter may be small in stature, but leads NK with 1,085 rush yards and in carries (149) and in Rush TD (15).   Soph #20 Holtman Doades has been solid 64- 737 and 11 Rush TD.  Add that QB Hammelman with 71-508-6... as well we backup #12 Rhett Sheren (Soph, 6'0 180) with 448 yards on 58 carries... the heir apparent to Richter in 2020.  Hammelman has thrown the ball 114 times hitting on 61, a 59.5% rate, for 917 yards in the air.  10 TDs against 6 picks.   Doades with 19 catches for 311 yards, 18 to Boyles for 213, and 12 to Noland for 229.   Doades again leads with 4 TD receptions, 2 to Noland, and 2 to  Urbain, who had 5 total for 61 yards. Richter adds 5 catches for 68 yards.

It's the Defense that has been staunt this year...  this is who we saw when Linton played them.  I'm sure there are other contributers. 

image.png.1c6b3850f9dfd3cb6be4b22d0db21851.png

They are lead by Sr Troy Noland with 119 tackles, followed by his younger brother soph Beau Noland at DE with 104 tackles. Wolfe adds 77 from DT, 52 from Boyles, 51 from  SR Trey Keller #56 (6'0 240) who clearly gets a lot of action.  Urbain with 49, then Haag with 48.   Wolfe leads in TFL with 14 closely followed by 13.5 from Beau Noland and 4.5 from Keller.  The Noland brothers combine for 12.5 of the team's 20 sacks.. Beau with 8, Troy 4.5.   NK has forced 24 turnovers, 11 of those picks, of which Hammelman has 5. 

Doades has handled PATs, 12 of 36, a 40.5% tick.  Troy Noland does kick off and averages 40.4 per punt.

7 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Thought I would take a look at the NK Warriors!

NK came into 2019 with a lot of returning starters on both sides of the ball.  They would have to replace their biggest offense weapon in RB Gavyn Doane...as well as Thomas Keegan at QB, tackle Destin Hardy and OLB Lee Endicott.  Reece Hammelman would move to QB from starting at H back, Cole Richter the heir apparent to Doane.  Most positve was the return of 4 of 5 Olinemen, and 10 of 12 defensive starters that figured to be the Warriors strong point.  

Coming off a 5-6 2018 campaign, the Warriors are in the midst of the best season under Coach Josh Chambers, with 7 wins the most since a 9-3 2014 year (under Coach Shawn McDowell).  They had only achieved 7 wins in 4 seasons since 2000.  The Warriors dropped their opening tilt against 6-4 3A Sullivan 15-12; a game which NK could have won, perhaps should have.  They ran off shutouts at 1-9 Eastern Greene, and at home vs 3-7 Tecumseh, both 1A, then traveled to 4A Boonville to hand the 5-4 Pioneers a 34-20 setback.  Next up a 54-0 slam on 1A 2-8 North Central. This set up the Warriors at 4-1 heading into big battles with 6-4 3A Vincennes Lincoln, and 9-1 2A Linton.  The Battle with Lincoln was hard fought, but went the Alices way in the end 12-6, and the following week a 28-13 loss to the Miners that was a one score game midway through the 4th quarter.  They'd respond to those back to back losses by finishing the regular season blasting both 7-3 1A North Daviess 44-12, and 0-10 3A Washington 54-22.   That carried over to a road 55-21 win over 1-9 South Spencer in the opening round of sectional 48.

image.png.a77892f6d12f79055dbe44374f91a8ee.png

image.png.c1347dd205d59d758ce91eefcc2c945d.png

First and formost, The Warriors are a rushing team.   averaging 354.4 rush yards a game,  396-3,190 with 44 rush TDs.  SR #23 Cole Richter may be small in stature, but leads NK with 1,085 rush yards and in carries (149) and in Rush TD (15).   Soph #20 Holtman Doades has been solid 64- 737 and 11 Rush TD.  Add that QB Hammelman with 71-508-6... as well we backup #12 Rhett Sheren (Soph, 6'0 180) with 448 yards on 58 carries... the heir apparent to Richter in 2020.  Hammelman has thrown the ball 114 times hitting on 61, a 59.5% rate, for 917 yards in the air.  10 TDs against 6 picks.   Doades with 19 catches for 311 yards, 18 to Boyles for 213, and 12 to Noland for 229.   Doades again leads with 4 TD receptions, 2 to Noland, and 2 to  Urbain, who had 5 total for 61 yards. Richter adds 5 catches for 68 yards.

It's the Defense that has been staunt this year...  this is who we saw when Linton played them.  I'm sure there are other contributers. 

image.png.1c6b3850f9dfd3cb6be4b22d0db21851.png

They are lead by Sr Troy Noland with 119 tackles, followed by his younger brother soph Beau Noland at DE with 104 tackles. Wolfe adds 77 from DT, 52 from Boyles, 51 from  SR Trey Keller #56 (6'0 240) who clearly gets a lot of action.  Urbain with 49, then Haag with 48.   Wolfe leads in TFL with 14 closely followed by 13.5 from Beau Noland and 4.5 from Keller.  The Noland brothers combine for 12.5 of the team's 20 sacks.. Beau with 8, Troy 4.5.   NK has forced 24 turnovers, 11 of those picks, of which Hammelman has 5. 

Doades has handled PATs, 12 of 36, a 40.5% tick.  Troy Noland does kick off and averages 40.4 per punt.

I've said all year that the Warriors defense has been good and a main reason they have had a good year.  There have been other years when North Knox has had a stud running back or two but didn't have the defense to go with the offense.  This year I believe they are a more balanced team and one of the most balanced that I can recall.  VL only scored 12, Sullivan only scored 15, and the Miners only scored 28 to give some examples of how much they have improved  And that 28 by the Miners is the most they've given up all year.  I know Forrest Park just shutout Tell City so I am expecting this game tonight to be low scoring and a defensive battle.  Still picking the Warriors to get the win. 

This may seem like an odd question but it's not really for an 88 year old.  Are there hand rails on the bleacher steps at the Reitz bowl.  I looked at the field on Google Earth and couldn't tell for sure.  Certainly a great looking field BTW.  If I don't get an answer soon, I'll find out for sure in a few hours. :-)

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I've said all year that the Warriors defense has been good and a main reason they have had a good year.  There have been other years when North Knox has had a stud running back or two but didn't have the defense to go with the offense.  This year I believe they are a more balanced team and one of the most balanced that I can recall.  VL only scored 12, Sullivan only scored 15, and the Miners only scored 28 to give some examples of how much they have improved  And that 28 by the Miners is the most they've given up all year.  I know Forrest Park just shutout Tell City so I am expecting this game tonight to be low scoring and a defensive battle.  Still picking the Warriors to get the win. 

Not saying anything against the NK defense but I was impressed with their o-line on film. I'm sure several of those kids go both ways and contribute defensively but that line is good for sure.

18 minutes ago, kingtut said:

This may seem like an odd question but it's not really for an 88 year old.  Are there hand rails on the bleacher steps at the Reitz bowl.  I looked at the field on Google Earth and couldn't tell for sure.  Certainly a great looking field BTW.  If I don't get an answer soon, I'll find out for sure in a few hours. :-)

Short answer - yes.

A little longer answer, my father-in-law gets around with a cane.  We usually drop him off on lower side of the bowl by the scoreboard.  There is an incline still to walk up and enter from that direction, but he can manage.  The downfall there is that you are at ground-level on the visitor side and would have to climb up the bleachers.

The other alternative is to drop him at the other end - completely opposite the scoreboard.  There you can enter but you have to walk down to any seating.  And yes, there are hand rails on the steps.  The endzone is mostly cement though, so it's tricky to use a bleacher seat-back that he likes to bring.  

Enjoy the evening and safe travels!

44 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Short answer - yes.

A little longer answer, my father-in-law gets around with a cane.  We usually drop him off on lower side of the bowl by the scoreboard.  There is an incline still to walk up and enter from that direction, but he can manage.  The downfall there is that you are at ground-level on the visitor side and would have to climb up the bleachers.

The other alternative is to drop him at the other end - completely opposite the scoreboard.  There you can enter but you have to walk down to any seating.  And yes, there are hand rails on the steps.  The endzone is mostly cement though, so it's tricky to use a bleacher seat-back that he likes to bring.  

Enjoy the evening and safe travels!

Thanks much.  No cane but I'm a bit unsteady on the bleachers, especially without a handrail.  We'll be hitting the road in about 15 minutes.

8 hours ago, 300Game said:

The regional game was Tri High, we didn't play Tri West.  Yes, the coldest I think, that I have ever been.  We won that game, and got beat by South Putnam the following week in Semi-State at home, and in a much, much warmer environment.

That clears it up, ty. lol I was only 10 and knew I couldn't count 100% on my memory.  I know you've got a few years on me and have to remember it better than I, C. 🙂

• Like 1

Congrats to Mater Dei on a dominating win.  Best of luck and good health in the championship game. 

MD just seemed to be better on both sides of the ball in the trenches and getting to the outside faster than Linton.  Not sure what the stats were but MD did well with pass coverage and didn't give up any big plays.  I really thought it looked like Linton would have some opportunities at moving the ball well on offense, but even when we made progress the fundamental errors cost us dearly on WAY too many occasions. 

Great season for the Miners and a big tip of the hat to the Seniors! 

Edited by lp3coda
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Uncle Rico said:

I think Linton has played enough quality teams that strength of schedule shouldn't be a factor.  Both teams are much improved from last year.  Linton runs an offense that Mater Dei doesn't see too often and it'll be interesting to see if they can deal with it.  This game will most likely be decided by the offensive and defensive lines, as most games are.

Prescient comments Uncle, as the game was definitely decided in the trenches, IMO.  MD's D line was able to get yds penetration most of the night which created all sorts of issues for the Miners and resulted in several TOs.  I would venture a guess that is the most fumbles Linton has had this year (if not several years) with 4 or 5 fumbles & 3 lost in first half alone and a total of 5 TOs overall for the game with the 2 INTs.  Hard to win a game with that many TOs at any level.  

IMHO, you saw a little bit of how "strength of schedule" does matter, at least to some extent.  For certain, it isn't the one stat above all others by any means.  However, MD benefits from playing the larger Evansville schools where even some of weaker teams often have above avg size in their lines & more speed at the skill positions than we do in a typical year. Having to deal with those conditions every week is huge help in preparing us for playoffs.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to a couple of old guard officials from the Linton area, Mr Beach (still refereeing @67!) & Mr Devault (retired after the Central Vs Jasper Mud Bowl game about 10 yrs ago).  They had some great insights into not only the game last night but the high school game, in general. Thanks for sharing some great stories from between the lines and I hope we cross paths again.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tango said:

I wasn’t surprised with this result.  MD is going to be a tough out. 

MD is solid most every year and they play a great schedule most every year as well BUT when they beat Central just a few weeks ago, It raised them several more levels in my opinion.  

Since then, I have had them playing Webo for a trip to LOS. 

• Like 2

As a Miner fan I wasn't surprised myself. And thats OK. We just moved to 2A a couple of years ago. Gotta play bigger teams   better players. Im PROUD of my Miners! Even though we got blown out and we did  its a learning experience as well. Two top teams in the State going at in a Semifinal; game somebody is gonna lose. EMD was the better team no doubt. Im sure this experience will resonate next year! Go EMD and take the South! Go Miners!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, globemstr3 said:

Harrels has EMD a 4 pt favorite? I think thats insane and blows all validity too predictions.

Apparently no love for the Wildcat's from Harrell for 2nd wk in a row.   I was mildly surprised with the Harrell pick of Linton over MD, esp at the Bowl, but most viewed the game as a toss up going in.  Curious how MD is only a 4pt favorite over NK, esp after last night. Calpreps favors MD 31 - 14, & Sagarin gives MD +14.   One of my newfound friends in stripes made the prediction of a MD working with running clock by halftime vs NK.  That remains to be seen but only 4 points seems awfully thin to me.  Anywhere that tracks how well Sagarin or Harrell do with their predictions?  

3 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Apparently no love for the Wildcat's from Harrell for 2nd wk in a row.   I was mildly surprised with the Harrell pick of Linton over MD, esp at the Bowl, but most viewed the game as a toss up going in.  Curious how MD is only a 4pt favorite over NK, esp after last night. Calpreps favors MD 31 - 14, & Sagarin gives MD +14.   One of my newfound friends in stripes made the prediction of a MD working with running clock by halftime vs NK.  That remains to be seen but only 4 points seems awfully thin to me.  Anywhere that tracks how well Sagarin or Harrell do with their predictions?  

It looks like I just missed meeting you! I came up at halftime and talked to the rest of Mr. Beach's crew. I am proud to be on their crew and have benefited from it greatly. Good luck to Mater Dei!

Edited by miner_35
Content