Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SECTIONAL 40 ROUND 2

3 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

One of my newfound friends in stripes made the prediction of a MD working with running clock by halftime vs NK.  

Your friend in stripes needs to get with the program. No running clock possible until the second half.

4 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Go EMD and take the South! Go Miners!

No love for North Knox? 🙂

I usually pull for our long time rivals who are still in it, then whoever is still out of our sectional, then of course a team from the south. (with the exception of Sullivan of course lol) 

Then again I'm probably a little bit biased here. I graduated from Linton while my brother graduated from North Knox. Hope it's a great game though!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Apparently no love for the Wildcat's from Harrell for 2nd wk in a row.   I was mildly surprised with the Harrell pick of Linton over MD, esp at the Bowl, but most viewed the game as a toss up going in.  Curious how MD is only a 4pt favorite over NK, esp after last night. Calpreps favors MD 31 - 14, & Sagarin gives MD +14.   One of my newfound friends in stripes made the prediction of a MD working with running clock by halftime vs NK.  That remains to be seen but only 4 points seems awfully thin to me.  Anywhere that tracks how well Sagarin or Harrell do with their predictions?  

I was a little surprised by Harrell's prediction too.  North Knox is on a 4 game winning streak though, and haven't won this many games since the ice bucket challenge became a thing.  Regardless, I still think MD wins by 2-3 touchdowns. Then again, I really thought Manti Te'o had a girlfriend.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Your friend in stripes needs to get with the program. No running clock possible until the second half.

Then I must have misunderstood what they said/intended.  Very impressed with their knowledge of game and, more importantly, their ability allow me to understand it.  Mea Culpa

25 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Then I must have misunderstood what they said/intended.  Very impressed with their knowledge of game and, more importantly, their ability allow me to understand it.  Mea Culpa

I’ve always heard that MD fans are among the most knowledgeable and loyal of high school football fans. From what I’ve seen on the GID, that’s true.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

I was a little surprised by Harrell's prediction too.  North Knox is on a 4 game winning streak though, and haven't won this many games since the ice bucket challenge became a thing.  Regardless, I still think MD wins by 2-3 touchdowns. Then again, I really thought Manti Te'o had a girlfriend.

we won 9 in 2014...wouldn't expect much love from many on here...that's ok!

Edited by NorthKnox94

2 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Curious to hear the rationale from Linton on why they would call a timeout with 20 seconds left to score a td with their starters against jv kids. 

Clearly not from Linton

However, why not?   You have Seniors who many if not all will never play the game again.   Did you have MD -23.5 ??   

You created an account to get on here to make that post speaks well..........

4 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Curious to hear the rationale from Linton on why they would call a timeout with 20 seconds left to score a td with their starters against jv kids. 

I can not answer yours, but maybe you can answer mine. How hard is it to take a knee when a player is down due to injury? 

17 hours ago, lp3coda said:

No love for North Knox? 🙂

I usually pull for our long time rivals who are still in it, then whoever is still out of our sectional, then of course a team from the south. (with the exception of Sullivan of course lol) 

Then again I'm probably a little bit biased here. I graduated from Linton while my brother graduated from North Knox. Hope it's a great game though!

Actually No....LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Clearly not from Linton

However, why not?   You have Seniors who many if not all will never play the game again.   Did you have MD -23.5 ??   

You created an account to get on here to make that post speaks well..........

I can think of several Liptons fans that would be on here complaining if it was the other way around. Swear to God they would 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I can think of several Liptons fans that would be on here complaining if it was the other way around. Swear to God they would 

I hate to say I agree, but I do. However, the only complaint you will hear from me is that this was the LAST game for those Seniors, not a meaningless regular season game. On top of that, not all of Linton's fans feel the way we are portrayed on here. All fan bases have bad apples, just ours seem to be louder than others. 😄

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

I think that's a fair question. We fans can only speculate. So you'd have to get the real answer and logic from the coach and staff. 

But one thing I believe most of us can proclaim is that Coach Oliver is a morally righteous kind of guy.  And I for one can't believe for one second that there was anything malicious with his logic. I sincerely believe whatever he did, he did for the young men playing. 

But most of us fans know how Coach Ollie is personally, and I imagine not many fans of opponents do....so I get the question.  As always, just my 2 cents.

15 minutes ago, lp3coda said:

And I for one can't believe for one second that there was anything malicious with his logic. I sincerely believe whatever he did, he did for the young men playing. 

From an outsider's pt of view, it was an odd time-out, even the radio guys called it out as "unusual".  The game was using a running clock and the result was no longer in doubt so there was no tactical reason for it.  However, logically, there must have been some reason, and it was likely related to the players .  Only the coach knows for certain.  

The biggest issue an opponent might take with such a move is the need for another, completely unnecessary play to be ran.  Anything can & will happen on the field and you are putting players at risk, even if minimally.  Fortunately, nothing bad happened and hopefully whatever goal the coach had in mind was accomplished.  No harm, no foul here.

3 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

From an outsider's pt of view, it was an odd time-out, even the radio guys called it out as "unusual".  The game was using a running clock and the result was no longer in doubt so there was no tactical reason for it.  However, logically, there must have been some reason, and it was likely related to the players .  Only the coach knows for certain.  

Think you kinda answered most of your questions perfectly right here 🙂

It was an odd and unusual timeout.  There was a running clock being used. The result was certainly no longer in doubt and there was definitely no tactical reason for it. Hence my rationale that it had to be something for the players/seniors. 🙂  But that's only me guessing. 

I can see your point of worrying about the what ifs in the final moments of a game that's in hand and moving forward with games ahead. My mind immediately reflects back on Grant Stamm from Linton and his broken leg, so truly....I see your valid point. I'm glad it ended up being a no harm no foul moment, and appreciate you looking at it that way.

8 hours ago, NorthKnox94 said:

we won 9 in 2014...wouldn't expect much love from many on here...that's ok!

Eh, I'd like to think there's more here rooting for ya than against ya. Besides, it's not your fault you're in Knox county, but you're still our neighbors! 😛

In hindsight, I can't even say I'm biased here.  I was actually born in Evansville and lived there a little bit as a toddler, but thankfully it was before I started elementary school at Linton so that I could have the good sense of football ingrained in me from whatever came out of the water fountain. 

• Like 1

I think it's a simple as this.... Those senior kids wanted to play every play to the bitter unfortunate end.  We had timeouts...we took them so they could maybe get a couple more plays.  Sure they wanted to score.  The same way teams did against us when we had long taken our #1's out in running clock blow outs.  I know that if this were a regular season game it would not have happened.  I know if roles were reversed and Linton was up 44-7 it wouldn't have happened.  It's a simple as that.  They knew the game was out of reach, but no senior player wants it to end.  It was a very disappointing end to a terrific season, and I know in my 20 years of broadcasting I've never seen a worse opening quarter start by the MIners.  I think Mater Dei was the better team...their defense really shut us down.  Very Disciplined as we knew they'd be.  I honestly thought the D played good...but they were put on their heels to much by the turnovers.  It does hurt because you know this game meant a lot to the Miners, and the seniors in particular.  We had to climb the hill in 1A, seemingly always having that nemesis we had to get over to get to the next level... Now it's 2A and a whole new set of hills to climb...Southridge, Mater Dei....  We just have to keep working.  I have no doubt that Mater Dei's schedule prepares them well for when they play 2A post season.  We have beefed up the schedule at Linton...but I don't think we would ever have the schedule MD, or Bishop Luers, Andrean etc are going to play in the bigger cities.  

So back to the issue... the timeout and score...  don't take it too seriously.  You are advancing with a pretty solid thump of the Miners.  I'm sure it was a matter of letting these kids have as many downs as they could before it was all over.  Maybe I would have a gripe in a meaningless game in week 4 with a team leaving their starters in late against our uber subs... in fact I've stated it many times... but I also know coaches are trying to give their team anything to build on in those situations... and losing 44-21 is better than 44-7... especially when looking back on it in 10 years!   But I wouldn't have a problem with it happening to us in this situation.. Last game.  Last time any of these seniors will play this awesome game for the Red/Blue.

Congrats to Mater Dei.  Their defense took it to us.  And special teams took it to us. I wish it would have been a better showing for my Miners... but it happens.  I'm sure when I go back to double check stats that the two games we've lost to Mater Dei will show us turning the ball over more than another other 2 games I've covered....I don't know what the heck was happening.... That opening tip and Pick 6 just set the tone....

• Like 1

After a couple of days to digest what happened Friday night, I think I've come to this conclusion:

What a first half beat down by the Miners.....on themselves!  I can't recall seeing any Miner team with so many mistakes in one half of football.  5 turnovers at the half???  The tipped pick 6 I get but so many fumbles!  On the Mater Dei side of the field I was REALLY impressed with their defense.  It is definitely championship caliber.  Wasn't too impressed with their offense, but maybe they were playing it close to the vest in this game after the first quarter.  Pretty crazy when you are up 14 - 0 and haven't even got a first down yet.  Best of luck to Mater Dei in the rest of the tournament.  Expecting you to represent the south!

9 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

I think it's a simple as this.... Those senior kids wanted to play every play to the bitter unfortunate end.  We had timeouts...we took them so they could maybe get a couple more plays.  Sure they wanted to score.  The same way teams did against us when we had long taken our #1's out in running clock blow outs.  I know that if this were a regular season game it would not have happened.  I know if roles were reversed and Linton was up 44-7 it wouldn't have happened.  It's a simple as that.  They knew the game was out of reach, but no senior player wants it to end.  It was a very disappointing end to a terrific season, and I know in my 20 years of broadcasting I've never seen a worse opening quarter start by the MIners.  I think Mater Dei was the better team...their defense really shut us down.  Very Disciplined as we knew they'd be.  I honestly thought the D played good...but they were put on their heels to much by the turnovers.  It does hurt because you know this game meant a lot to the Miners, and the seniors in particular.  We had to climb the hill in 1A, seemingly always having that nemesis we had to get over to get to the next level... Now it's 2A and a whole new set of hills to climb...Southridge, Mater Dei....  We just have to keep working.  I have no doubt that Mater Dei's schedule prepares them well for when they play 2A post season.  We have beefed up the schedule at Linton...but I don't think we would ever have the schedule MD, or Bishop Luers, Andrean etc are going to play in the bigger cities.  

So back to the issue... the timeout and score...  don't take it too seriously.  You are advancing with a pretty solid thump of the Miners.  I'm sure it was a matter of letting these kids have as many downs as they could before it was all over.  Maybe I would have a gripe in a meaningless game in week 4 with a team leaving their starters in late against our uber subs... in fact I've stated it many times... but I also know coaches are trying to give their team anything to build on in those situations... and losing 44-21 is better than 44-7... especially when looking back on it in 10 years!   But I wouldn't have a problem with it happening to us in this situation.. Last game.  Last time any of these seniors will play this awesome game for the Red/Blue.

Congrats to Mater Dei.  Their defense took it to us.  And special teams took it to us. I wish it would have been a better showing for my Miners... but it happens.  I'm sure when I go back to double check stats that the two games we've lost to Mater Dei will show us turning the ball over more than another other 2 games I've covered....I don't know what the heck was happening.... That opening tip and Pick 6 just set the tone....

I'm definitely not taking it too seriously.  I just found it very unusual for timeouts to be taken there.  Thanks for the explanation.

13 hours ago, lp3coda said:

Eh, I'd like to think there's more here rooting for ya than against ya. Besides, it's not your fault you're in Knox county, but you're still our neighbors! 😛

In hindsight, I can't even say I'm biased here.  I was actually born in Evansville and lived there a little bit as a toddler, but thankfully it was before I started elementary school at Linton so that I could have the good sense of football ingrained in me from whatever came out of the water fountain. 

I guess I have the same feeling...you cant help that your from Greene county...wont hold that against you...lol...jk...

• Haha 1