Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
itiswhatitis

SECTIONAL 40 ROUND 2

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Whichever Victor comes outta this. I see a Lewis-Cass matchup

 

That's ballsy.  I see no reason why WeBo isn't the south favorite.  Defending champs.  I haven't checked Calpreps, Sagarin has them #1 in the south...on a neutral field they would be favored by 2 points over L-S & 4 over MD.

Personally, I believe Triton Central will be a tough out as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, globemstr3 said:

Oh I gotcha there! Its a Long road. Webo and a few other teams in the South are chomping at the bits. That Cass- Pioneer game really blew my mind though.

After the Cass-WL game it wasn’t a big shocker to me. Pioneer would be a top 1A team but lost a lot from last year. And Cass is obviously very good and have improved weekly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

After the Cass-WL game it wasn’t a big shocker to me. Pioneer would be a top 1A team but lost a lot from last year. And Cass is obviously very good and have improved weekly. 

Cass has some biggins up front.  Their backs are athletic & extremely physical.  They refused to be tackled vs Pioneer.  Pneumatic sledgehammers 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I happen to notice this morning:  in this week's Sagarin ratings, the top 22 teams in 2A all won except #2 Pioneer.  This should be a really great 2A tournament this year.  Barring some upsets, there should be some really great matchups down the road.  Lots of good programs with some really great teams in the North AND the South.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mater Dei big, unfortunately.  Will be impressed if Linton can make it a game.  Hope my prediction is wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Reb08 said:

Mater Dei big, unfortunately.  Will be impressed if Linton can make it a game.  Hope my prediction is wrong.

Just how much is "a lot"?  Mater Dei won 40 - 21 last year.  Do you think they will win by 19 or more again this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reb08 said:

Mater Dei big, unfortunately.  Will be impressed if Linton can make it a game.  Hope my prediction is wrong.

Very well could be. Linton has all the pieces in place this year to give MD a run-for-their money. But what do I know, we're no where near MD's ability according to some on this thread. 

Good luck to both, should be a whale of a ball game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Just how much is "a lot"?  Mater Dei won 40 - 21 last year.  Do you think they will win by 19 or more again this year?

If I remember correctly, last year's game wasn't really that close.  However, this is a different year.    Will go 34-6 Mater Dei.   Once again, would love to see Linton win and be wrong about this outcome.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Reb08 said:

If I remember correctly, last year's game wasn't really that close.  However, this is a different year.    Will go 34-6 Mater Dei.   Once again, would love to see Linton win and be wrong about this outcome.  

Okay so you are saying Mater Dei by 28.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jets said:

But what do I know, we're no where near MD's ability according to some on this thread. 

Curiously “odd” to see posters purporting to support both Southridge & South Spencer jawing on this thread about a game btwn Linton & MD.  Certainly, everyone is welcome to an opinion on this forum but representing them as from one of the involved teams seem a bit disingenuous.  Pot stirring perhaps?

 image.thumb.png.a306ab33a23ab0fca161e34c903d35bd.png

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Curiously “odd” to see posters purporting to support both Southridge & South Spencer jawing on this thread about a game btwn Linton & MD.  Certainly, everyone is welcome to an opinion on this forum but representing them as from one of the involved teams seem a bit disingenuous.  Pot stirring perhaps?

 image.thumb.png.a306ab33a23ab0fca161e34c903d35bd.png

 

Was just referencing a comment earlier that MD will "no doubt be the toughest test" the Miners have faced all year. I wasn't mis-representing anything. Thought it was a slap-in-the-face to my beloved Raiders ...that is all. Back in my hole I'll climb. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jets said:

Was just referencing a comment earlier that MD will "no doubt be the toughest test" the Miners have faced all year. I wasn't mis-representing anything. Thought it was a slap-in-the-face to my beloved Raiders ...that is all. Back in my hole I'll climb. 

Don't get your panties in a bunch.  SR is a totally different monster Week 11 as compared to Week 1.  All things being equal, if SR and MD are close in ability, then MD is probably much improved in Week 11....making Week 11 MD better than Week 1 SR.  Hence the "toughest test" comment you refer to.  It's science...

There's not a Miner fan out there who doesn't hope that SR is equal to or better than MD.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Don't get your panties in a bunch.  SR is a totally different monster Week 11 as compared to Week 1.  All things being equal, if SR and MD are close in ability, then MD is probably much improved in Week 11....making Week 11 MD better than Week 1 SR.  Hence the "toughest test" comment you refer to.  It's science...

There's not a Miner fan out there who doesn't hope that SR is equal to or better than MD.

I was the one who made the comment and that is pretty much why I made it.  SR always gets stronger as the season progresses, so their week one performance against how Mater Dei is playing NOW is slightly different.  You only have to look a couple of seasons ago.  SR beat Linton 17 - 16 in the season opener and then beat them 20 - 0 in the sectional.  Obviously they are a different team in week one vs week 11.  I also took into consideration that Mater Dei beat the 6th ranked team in 4A on the road just a few short weeks ago.  It's tough to trump that kind of win.  So it was NOT a slap in the face towards SR.  Geez, what are you?   A Democrat???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Don't get your panties in a bunch.  SR is a totally different monster Week 11 as compared to Week 1.  All things being equal, if SR and MD are close in ability, then MD is probably much improved in Week 11....making Week 11 MD better than Week 1 SR.  Hence the "toughest test" comment you refer to.  It's science...

There's not a Miner fan out there who doesn't hope that SR is equal to or better than MD.

 

8 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I was the one who made the comment and that is pretty much why I made it.  SR always gets stronger as the season progresses, so their week one performance against how Mater Dei is playing NOW is slightly different.  You only have to look a couple of seasons ago.  SR beat Linton 17 - 16 in the season opener and then beat them 20 - 0 in the sectional.  Obviously they are a different team in week one vs week 11.  I also took into consideration that Mater Dei beat the 6th ranked team in 4A on the road just a few short weeks ago.  It's tough to trump that kind of win.  So it was NOT a slap in the face towards SR.  Geez, what are you?   A Democrat???

Hurling insults doesn't seem necessary. I was just making an observation to a comment. I wouldn't/shouldn't have said anything, the "NO DOUBT" part of the comment made me raise an eyebrow. It seems pretty obvious to me a team will be better in week 11 than week 1, you don't need to point that out) 

Sorry to interrupt the thread. I think it will be a good ball game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jets said:

 

Hurling insults doesn't seem necessary. I was just making an observation to a comment. I wouldn't/shouldn't have said anything, the "NO DOUBT" part of the comment made me raise an eyebrow. It seems pretty obvious to me a team will be better in week 11 than week 1, you don't need to point that out) 

Sorry to interrupt the thread. I think it will be a good ball game.  

Apparently I have to point everything out.  My "NO DOUBT" remark was in reference to Mater Dei's win over Central.  Let's see.....a 2A team beating the 6th ranked 4A team on the road.  How many other 2A or for that matter most 3A teams have that kind of win on their resume?.   THAT "raised eyebrows" everywhere (NO DOUBT).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jets said:

Very well could be. Linton has all the pieces in place this year to give MD a run-for-their money. But what do I know, we're no where near MD's ability according to some on this thread. 

Good luck to both, should be a whale of a ball game. 

I agree that we have all the pieces in place.  But we will have to play mistake free, and probably have the ball bounce in our favor a couple of times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

I agree that we have all the pieces in place.  But we will have to play mistake free, and probably have the ball bounce in our favor a couple of times.

I've stated before the Miners will need another effort like last week (2 penalties and zero turnovers).  They won't be able to turn the ball over against a quality team like Mater Dei.  I recall what happened in week one.  Protecting the ball is of the highest priority.  Can't stress that enough.

Edited by itiswhatitis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a casual stroll thru the MD files...  Both the QB Happe and RB McGrew I recall from last year.  I don't have my files in front of me from last year to campare yet..    None of this info has the Crawford County game info included...

#4 Happe Sr QB 6'0 180 had 1056 yards passing going into that game, I know he had some long TD passes.  He had 10 going in, along with 10 picks.  He was 83 of 137.  Looks like his main target is #17 Kassellback, a senior 5'10 175 slot man who plays both sides of the ball.  He's caught 14 for 259 and 4 scores.  McGrew (#22 Sr 5'9 185) has 11 catches out of the backferld forr 116 and a TD, I guess the big thing is there are a whole lot of different guys with similar numbers... and they run 4 wide a lot.  #21 Turner (Jr 5'10) with 5 for 75 1TD, #88 Schurr (Sr 6'0 185) 6 fo 76 and a score, #3 Brandtly (Jr 5'9 170) 8 for 96, and another #13 Money (jr 6'5 210) who I'm betting is a TE has 7 for 80.   McGrew has been the running threat, with 964 yards on 140 carries going into last Friday's game.  14 Rushing TDs as well.  Happe has a rush TD and 311 yards on  50 keeps.  All the receivers I mentioned each have a handful of carries... less that 5.  I see #36 Boring (Sr 5'8 190) listed at RB LB, who has 313 yards rushing on 60 carries and 7 TDs... including a 100+ game against North... but evidently he got injured and he hasn't appeared in any stat since the Bosse win in week 7.  Since then it's obvious that McGrew has been the go-to guy...as he put up 123 on 10 carries and 4 scores in the  Bosse game, then 32-180 against Central, and 34-247 against Reitz.   He did open the season with 143 on just 11 touches in the beating of Indian Creek.  Happe can certainly pass the ball... 4 TDs against Whiting, 155 yards against Harrison, 275 and 4 TDs against North, 13 f 14 for 139 against Reitz, and 158 against Castle (but..4 picks).

Up front it looks like this--  LT #61 Davidson (Sr 6'1 weight?), LT #73 Epley (Sr ^'1 260), C #51 Hile (Jr 5'9 195), RG #54 Bradford (Sr 5'0 210) and RT #63 Boots (Soph 6'1 200).  Correct or not?

Defensively I see Davidson at a DE, with Money on the other side.  Two tackles Soph #50 Ralph (5'10 240) and Sr #72 Adler (6'3 240).  Does anyone know Davidson's weight?  I see two backers with 42 Jr Knight (6'0 180) and Sr #57 Fulz.   Lannert, #12 a Sr 5'11 170 is the leading tackler going into last week with 66 from perhaps a safety position.   I also see #17 Kasselback and #5 Merkley (Sr 5'1-0 170) in that DB groun, with #86 Taylor (Jr 5'11 67) and perhaps #3 Brandtley involved.   Davidson is 2nd in tackles from DE, with Ralph 3rd from DT.  The 2 Backers (Knight and Fulz) are 4th and 5th.  

Another big weapon I see is #28 Atherton the kicker.... 36 of 36 in PATs, 5 of 6 in field goals..with a long of 32.

I am in the process of updating the Linton stats right now...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO McGrew is the 2nd best RB in the SIAC, behind only Schutte from Central.  Both are very tough runners who are like tackling bowling balls.  Lannert is one of the fastest guys in SIAC.  I've seen a few Linton games (Boonville, ND, Providence and maybe Sullivan early on but can't remember that one).  I did not see the Southridge game.  I think MD will likely be the best team Linton has seen that can run and pass.  Has Linton played on turf this season? 

As MDAlum82 says, sit in the bowl, not the visitor bleachers.  The view is much better from the curve or behind the goal post. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... the thing I am most concerned about for Linton is the pass defense.  I feel we've improved a whole lot in that area...but we've not faced a team that can wing it for several games now...  I also think the Miners have to keep in mind that Mater Dei will be faster that I think we might have been seeing.  I don't think we can just lob balls along the sideline and count on the athletic abilities of DRob to always make the play. MD will equalize that type of thing.  I do think that atmosphere will be something to watch it's affect on how we come out in the opening quarter.  It will be different that playing at the Roy.  We cant afford to make mistakes.. and we dang sure can't get down early.  I think the more the game goes that we are even.. or hopefully up..or at least within a score... the more our chances can grown.  Getting down 17-0 (ala against Scecina in 2017) early... and it's hard to climb back on the road.  We have to be able to move the ball.  Mater  Dei is definitely a disciplined team, and they've played some difficult competition... big fast competition.   I've said it a lot these past 2 weeks... these last two games have seen the best Linton has looked since the 2016 championship run.  They definitely are playing at their most confident level...and are executing solidly in every phase.  But Providence and North Posey are not on the level of Mater Dei.  But we did take care of business as we were supposed to.  Course I am worried about injuries and how that will affect us moving forward.  Small school football it's hard to absorb the loss of one of your better players at this point, especially at a key position.  I don't have any privy info on any of that, just hope that the player is ok first and foremost and go from there.  

I remember how I felt going into the games with Ritter....and I can remember how in both cases Linton "didn't stand a chance" against the athleticism, or the speed, or the size, or the history, or the magnitude... because back there I don't think there was the respect for Linton in big games.  Both Ritter games we lost, but both we very well should have won... but that's not the point... which is that we played nose to nose with them.  Scecina much the same scenario...other than getting down 17-0 in the first meeting.  That second meeting was one for the ages, and we couldn't get it in from 1/2 yard away.  Lutheran was supposed to come down and tear up one year...  I guess my point is that you have to buy in 100% that you can win a game like that.. against the odds.  I don't have doubt these kids have that same feeling within them that I've seen in other years....   

11 minutes ago, tango said:

IMO McGrew is the 2nd best RB in the SIAC, behind only Schutte from Central.  Both are very tough runners who are like tackling bowling balls.  Lannert is one of the fastest guys in SIAC.  I've seen a few Linton games (Boonville, ND, Providence and maybe Sullivan early on but can't remember that one).  I did not see the Southridge game.  I think MD will likely be the best team Linton has seen that can run and pass.  Has Linton played on turf this season? 

As MDAlum82 says, sit in the bowl, not the visitor bleachers.  The view is much better from the curve or behind the goal post. 

Nope... no turf.   We did play at Southridge last year....   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel good for Coach Fuhs at Forest Park.  1-9 last year... and now sitting 6-4 and in the 2nd round of sectonals .  Since coming to the Rangers in 2012 this is only the 2nd time they've won an opening round sectional game.  and oddly enough, that was against North Knox is 2017.   6 wins is the high win total for Coach... 5-5 in 2015 and 4-7 in 2017.  I think most folks genuinely thought Tell City would be the team facing NK at this points but the Rangers beat the Marksmen back to back.  Do want to congratulate Coach Clements on the season he had in his 2nd year at Tell City.  5 wins the most since 6-4 in 2013 under coach Ryan George.    I would seem both TC and FP are programs on the rise.   North Knox did what they were supposed to do at South Spencer, and I'd imagine are heavy favorites again this week with Forest Park. Is this at NK or FP?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I feel good for Coach Fuhs at Forest Park.  1-9 last year... and now sitting 6-4 and in the 2nd round of sectonals .  Since coming to the Rangers in 2012 this is only the 2nd time they've won an opening round sectional game.  and oddly enough, that was against North Knox is 2017.   6 wins is the high win total for Coach... 5-5 in 2015 and 4-7 in 2017.  I think most folks genuinely thought Tell City would be the team facing NK at this points but the Rangers beat the Marksmen back to back.  Do want to congratulate Coach Clements on the season he had in his 2nd year at Tell City.  5 wins the most since 6-4 in 2013 under coach Ryan George.    I would seem both TC and FP are programs on the rise.   North Knox did what they were supposed to do at South Spencer, and I'd imagine are heavy favorites again this week with Forest Park. Is this at NK or FP?    

At NK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nk140 said:

At NK

What an environment Warrior Field will be Friday....If I weren't heading to Evansville...and Linton wasn't playing.. I'd have to be there... just being 15 minutes away!  Coach Chambers' 7 wins is the most for NK since the 9-3 2014 season for Coach McDowell... that ended in Linton 41-0 in the sectional championship...  NK's last appearance in such a game, and the only time they've played for a sect crown in well over 20 years.. so the Warriors won't have any problem being up for this game.  Being old arch rivals of course from way back in the Bicknell Bulldog- Linton Miner games...you'd think maybe I'd pull for the Rangers..but nope... I like seeing teams we play do well...and I almost always pull for the local team.  So I'll be following the score all night for sure!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

What an environment Warrior Field will be Friday....If I weren't heading to Evansville...and Linton wasn't playing.. I'd have to be there... just being 15 minutes away!  Coach Chambers' 7 wins is the most for NK since the 9-3 2014 season for Coach McDowell... that ended in Linton 41-0 in the sectional championship...  NK's last appearance in such a game, and the only time they've played for a sect crown in well over 20 years.. so the Warriors won't have any problem being up for this game.  Being old arch rivals of course from way back in the Bicknell Bulldog- Linton Miner games...you'd think maybe I'd pull for the Rangers..but nope... I like seeing teams we play do well...and I almost always pull for the local team.  So I'll be following the score all night for sure!!

FP will be the best defense we play since Linton...but, as long as the Warriors play their game...we should move one!  One game at a time...good luck to the Miners and to MD...hopefully an injury free game for both...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...