Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hobart Brickies are on a Roll!

Guest DT

The historic Hobart football program, with 4 state championships and 11 state title game appearances, is on a roll.

The  4A Brickies, under HC and former Hobart standout Craig Osika, have ripped off 8 straight wins following season opening loses to former Duneland foes and 6A schools Chesterton and Merrillville.  The past two weeks have been particularly impressive for the Bricks, who manhandled conference rival Lowell 38-7 to close out regular season play, and then followed up with a convincing 42-21 road win over a very solid Morton team in the sectional opener.

Osika beefed up his early season non con schedule and that appears to be paying dividends for this years team.

Next up for Hobart is Highland, who has never beaten Hobart in the history of this one sided series.

The Brickies should cruise to the sectional title, and then likely will run into New Prairie or possibly Plymouth in the Regional.

Great for Region football that the Hobart program appears to be very solidly back on track.

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
4A 17 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 8-2
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
HOBART
BRICKIES
Coach: Craig Osika, 15-5 in 2nd year at school
DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 34.7, DA 11.7

Aug. 23   Chesterton 6A L 13 21    
Aug. 30 at Merrillville 6A L 0 21    
Sep. 6 at Griffith 4A W 42 0    
Sep. 13   Culver Academy 4A W 30 27 3OT  
Sep. 20 at Andrean 2A © W 33 10    
Sep. 28   Kankakee Valley 4A © W 49 10    
Oct. 4 at Highland 4A © W 35 0    
Oct. 11   Munster 5A © W 65 0    
Oct. 18   Lowell 4A © W 38 7    
Oct. 25 at Hammond Morton 4A W 42 21    
Nov. 1   Highland 4A 7:00 pm   Sectional 17
©NORTHWEST CROSSROADS CONFERENCE GAME

Hobart won the sectional in 2016 as well.  Looking forward to seeing the Plymouth - New Prairie.  I believe Hobart also has former Valpo head coach Dave Coyle, former Valpo standout QB Jason Renn and former Hobart QB and longtime broadcaster Steve McIntyre on their staff.  

A regional win for New Prairie will move Russ Radtke #2 all-time in career coaching wins.

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hobart won the sectional in 2016 as well.  Looking forward to seeing the Plymouth - New Prairie.  I believe Hobart also has former Valpo head coach Dave Coyle, former Valpo standout QB Jason Renn and former Hobart QB and longtime broadcaster Steve McIntyre on their staff.  

A regional win for New Prairie will move Russ Radtke #2 all-time in career coaching wins.

Those were two very high quality losses to Chesterton and Merrillville.  The resumption of the Hobart-Merrillville series is great for NWI football.  

There are some similarities bertween Osika and Coach Ralph at New Pal.  Both are former D1 and NFL linemen.  Watch for the Bricks to get bigger and stronger in the next few seasons.  Current size not too bad at all.  https://www.hobart.k12.in.us/cms/lib/IN02000377/Centricity/Domain/3112/2019 JV V Football Roster 2.pdf

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

According to John Harrell’s site he has been number 2 for quite sometime.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Cannot speak for Dave Coyle, but Jason Renn is currently on Merrillville's staff.

6 hours ago, DT said:

Those were two very high quality losses to Chesterton and Merrillville.  The resumption of the Hobart-Merrillville series is great for NWI football.  

There are some similarities bertween Osika and Coach Ralph at New Pal.  Both are former D1 and NFL linemen.  Watch for the Bricks to get bigger and stronger in the next few seasons.  Current size not too bad at all.  https://www.hobart.k12.in.us/cms/lib/IN02000377/Centricity/Domain/3112/2019 JV V Football Roster 2.pdf

Dave Coyle is not on staff.  Him and Renn were last year, but left after the season from what I understand.

Looking at the the program it lists

Craig Osika, Shaun Zoladz, Bob Foster, Robert Segudevic, Doug Bloom, Terrence Turner, Josh Mehay, Steve Mcyntre, Bryan Wesley, Dave Tipold, Justin Evans, Tom Kerr, Steve Balash, Dave Grabcazk.

Great to see the Brickies back. Football is better when historic programs like Hobart are relevant again. 

1981     Snider 37 Hobart 0 at semistate (Rod Woodson's junior year)

1982     Hobart gets revenge 15-0 (Rod's senior year)

I watched the Hobart/Morton game Friday night. The 'Govs had great size on the lines and some offensive firepower led by JoJo Johnson who just recently fielded an offer from Cincinnati. Morton just kept hurting themselves and Hobart punished them with TD's. The Bricks do look impressive. As someone who is old enough to have played in the Brickie Bowl while Hobart was still a member of the DAC, I'm still not used to the Bricks playing in a brand new stadium on the outskirts of town. Still two more weeks of play and quality teams in the way, but the last great player Howell had (Osika) coaching against Russ Radtke to get Hobart back into a Semi-State would be quite the story line.

18 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Games at the Brickie Bowl were special and witnesses a few myself.  Nice thing is that community will rally behind their Brickies and I am sure they are yearning to get back to Indy

House of Horrors ...  and I’m not talking about the visiting team. 😜 They still haven’t razed that place. But rest assured, the day the bulldozers come for it, I’ll be in a lawn chair up on the railroad tracks with a six pack, cheering them on.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

House of Horrors ...  and I’m not talking about the visiting team. 😜 They still haven’t razed that place. But rest assured, the day the bulldozers come for it, I’ll be in a lawn chair up on the railroad tracks with a six pack, cheering them on.

Ha! The visitor side was quite the unique venue. You'll be hard-pressed to find another stadium where the visitor bleachers are built on top of a creek at the bottom of a hill that contains railroad tracks.