Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bye Week Kills Big School Season Momentum

Guest DT

For those of us who focus primarily on big school football, this bye week is a real drag.

It seems to just suck the life out of the season.  You have a lot of meaningless Week 9 games, then you take a week off, and then try to come back performing at peak level.  

It just doesn't happen.  Teams lose their sharp edge with too much time off.  Maybe there should be a week off between sectional and regional or regional and semi state.  There are so many early round blowouts that teams dont need 2 or 3 weeks to prepare.

Thoughts?

I actually think it is better for lower level teams.  It gives them some exposure that may not happen otherwise.  Also eliminates the referee shortage problem along with not giving some lower rated crews games.  Not sure how it affects the big schools, but I think they would like an opportunity to concentrate on the basics again and get guys rest. My 2 cents.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Logistics has become an issue. If all teams, except the few sectionals that have byes, in all classes were playing the first Friday, the number of officiating crews available is an issue. Looking over recent years, I think you have a tough sell on the notion that it kills momentum, especially in 5A and 6A, where the favorites win FAR more often than not. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DT said:

For those of us who focus primarily on big school football, this bye week is a real drag.

It seems to just suck the life out of the season.  You have a lot of meaningless Week 9 games, then you take a week off, and then try to come back performing at peak level.  

It just doesn't happen.  Teams lose their sharp edge with too much time off.  Maybe there should be a week off between sectional and regional or regional and semi state.  There are so many early round blowouts that teams dont need 2 or 3 weeks to prepare.

Thoughts?

In the NFL teams try to get the bye so they can rest, heal up and prepare. I don't know why HS kids wouldn't benefit the same way. Either way, I applaud you posting a topic that doesn't include the word "Contraction."

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JQWL said:

In the NFL teams try to get the bye so they can rest, heal up and prepare. I don't know why HS kids wouldn't benefit the same way. Either way, I applaud you posting a topic that doesn't include the word "Contraction."

No doubt - that is just common sense...on the off week.

Not gonna comment on the contraction stuff

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

And wild card teams have held their own, if not had a winning record against teams coming off byes in recent memory as far as the NFL is concerned.

6 hours ago, DT said:

If any schools need the bye, its the small schools with low numbers.  

I agree with this. Western Boone has about 10 out with injuries last few weeks. Lot of young kids have stepped to the challenge. They should be trickling back in by regionals then we will back at strength again

10 minutes ago, Jbk2 said:

I agree with this. Western Boone has about 10 out with injuries last few weeks. Lot of young kids have stepped to the challenge. They should be trickling back in by regionals then we will back at strength again

Why would Bobby Cox give 6A Carmel with 110 kids on the roster a week off and force South Newton with 20 live bodies on the roster to immediately go out and play an elimination game?

Does that make sense?

Oh yes, it just occurred to me.  Last week was recruiting week in The Ivy League and the Carmel kids are booked for trips to Harvard, Yale and Princeton.  Silly me.  

Edited by DT
change

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Why would Bobby Cox give 6A Carmel with 110 kids on the roster a week off and force South Newton with 20 live bodies on the roster to immediately go out and play an elimination game?

Does that make sense?

It doesn't make sense. I also think they could not only have a break for physical injuries but also a mental break.

1 minute ago, Jbk2 said:

It doesn't make sense. I also think they could not only have a break for physical injuries but also a mental break.

It didn't make much sense to the Rebels of South Newton either.

North Judson  61   South Newton 16

The good news is that now that the season is over, South Newton can begin contraction discussions in earnest.

13 minutes ago, DT said:

The good news is that now that the season is over, South Newton can begin contraction discussions in earnest.

Not happening.

That's unfortunate for all of the other South Newton students who are deprived of an extracurricular opportunity because all the funds are diverted to this football program.  

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Still not getting over yourself I see...

Target 280.  I need the rebs to meet my goal to improve overall competitive balance for those schools that take high school football seriously.  

This is not a hobby, or a club sport, or after school flag football, or summer recreation.

If you are going to play, invest the resources to compete.  

If the kids want an experience , take them on a field trip to Chicago or go on a wildlife junket to The Slough.  Lots of opps in the Greater Kentland Metro.

47 minutes ago, DT said:

You seriously make this forum unreadable with your bs

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Does that make sense?

Oh yes, it just occurred to me.  Last week was recruiting week in The Ivy League and the Carmel kids are booked for trips to Harvard, Yale and Princeton.  Silly me.  

When Muda mentions all his hegemonic hate, he’s thinking DT and no one else. Besides the fact that you aimlessly seek attention from topics by inciting class riots, success factor nonsense, and general bore-ass retreads, you still have a knack for otherwise condescending content for even the smallest of great football schools. Are recruiting visits to Ivys even newsworthy? Pretend like you’ve been there before. Loser. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

When Muda mentions all his hegemonic hate, he’s thinking DT and no one else. Besides the fact that you aimlessly seek attention from topics by inciting class riots, success factor nonsense, and general bore-ass retreads, you still have a knack for otherwise condescending content for even the smallest of great football schools. Are recruiting visits to Ivys even newsworthy? Pretend like you’ve been there before. Loser. 

Im speechless.  Maybe we should go 6 minutes on the mat and hash this out.  

Columbus East definitely needed the bye. Our boys are a lot more banged up than in previous years. Regardless, I have no problem with the bye being that particular week. Sure beats 2013 and 2014 where the bye in 6A was the week between semi-state and state. If I was a player on one of those teams playing for a state title I would've hated having to think about that game for two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Columbus East definitely needed the bye. Our boys are a lot more banged up than in previous years. Regardless, I have no problem with the bye being that particular week. Sure beats 2013 and 2014 where the bye in 6A was the week between semi-state and state. If I was a player on one of those teams playing for a state title I would've hated having to think about that game for two weeks.

Just to even things out and continue on the course of true competitive balance, I would like to see the IHSAA mandate a 10th regular season game for 5A and 6A schools.  These schools should not be getting a bye week with their deep rosters while smaller schools with very thin rosters are getting no time off.  

Simple rules for week 10.

No games against conference teams and no games against sectional teams.  Good chance for some interesting cross sectional games and some travel for kids and families before the season ends.  

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Just to even things out and continue on the course of true competitive balance, I would like to see the IHSAA mandate a 10th regular season game for 5A and 6A schools.  These schools should not be getting a bye week with their deep rosters while smaller schools with very thin rosters are getting no time off.  

Simple rules for week 10.

No games against conference teams and no games against sectional teams.  Good chance for some interesting cross sectional games and some travel for kids and families before the season ends.  

Two problems with this:

1. Bigger schools aren't playing smaller schools so who cares?

2. Unless 5A gets evened out to 32 teams, this won't work.

3 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Two problems with this:

1. Bigger schools aren't playing smaller schools so who cares?  Please explain

2. Unless 5A gets evened out to 32 teams, this won't work.  Really?  Is there no way to work this out?  Do we need to consult with NASA for a solution?  

1 minute ago, DT said:

1. Bigger schools aren't playing smaller schools so who cares?  Please explain

2. Unless 5A gets evened out to 32 teams, this won't work.  Really?  Is there no way to work this out?  Do we need to consult with NASA for a solution?

1. Why do small schools care that 6A gets a bye and they don't? They're not playing the bigger schools so it's not like they're playing teams with an advantage. They're playing the teams within their class. I know when East was in 4A none of us gave a crap about 6A only having 32 teams and having a bye thrown in. We all knew it's an all-in tournament and we had twice as many teams in 4A. We weren't playing any 6A schools in the tourney. Just play the game and control what you can control.

2. Even if 5A got evened out to 32 teams, what about the other classes? There are 63 teams each in 1A and 2A so one team in each class gets a bye. Should we cry about that and how it's unfair those teams get to rest while everyone else has to play? 4A has 61 teams so three teams get a bye. I haven't heard the other 58 teams complaining about it.

• Like 1