Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Hendricks Co. Brawl, Part II

Avon @ Brownsburg

Much more at stake than the usual backyard rivalry.  This one is for a chance at a state title.  I said when they met earlier that I thought whoever lost that game would win this one.  Since the draw gave the home field to the Bulldogs it makes even more sense.  These 2 weeks between games has seemed like a month, but it has got to help the health of the players (I have no knowledge if there were any significant injuries to either team).  Only 5 miles from Bulldog Stadium, but I've chosen to remain at home and hopefully it will be carried by TV or a good internet video feed.  I know the atmosphere will be insane.  

Brownsburg 27  Avon 21.

I'm riding the winner, regardless, all the way to Lucas Oil!

• Like 1

After Avon’s close call against Zionsville, I was considering making Brownsburg the favorite in this game if they put up an impressive performance against Hamilton SE.  But after Brownsburg’s poor showing against HSE, Avon is still the favorite to me to win this game.  In general, I trust Avon in big games more than I do Brownsburg right now.  In the previous 5 meetings they’ve played against each other in the tournament this decade, Avon has won all 5 games.  Also, Brownsburg hasn’t won a sectional title since 2009 while Avon has won a sectional title in 3 of the previous 4 season.  And I think Mark Bless is a better coach than John Hart.

I know it sounds cliche, but I think this game will be determined by who wins the battle at the line of scrimmage.  I also think Brownsburg needs to try and get an early lead to try and build some confidence.  If this game is tied or within 3 points in the 4th quarter, I think Avon will have a mental advantage and make more plays than Brownsburg because of Avon’s success in these kinds of games compared to Brownsburg’s.  I don’t think home field will be a factor in this game because it’s only a 10-15 minute bus ride from Avon to Brownsburg and Avon will probably have as many fans at this game as they do for a home game.  Home field advantage plays a much bigger factor when teams and fans have to travel an hour or an hour and a half to get to a game.

I get as a fan why you would be skeptical about your team’s chances to win this game.  I myself think my LC team is going to lose at LN on Friday even though LC won the regular season meeting between the two teams.  But from an objective perspective, I trust Avon in this spot more than I do Brownsburg.  But Brownsburg could just as easily prove me dead wrong on Friday with the way 6A has gone this season.  I do think that when these two teams play as well as they’re capable of playing, they’re the best two teams in class 6A.  I predict that whoever wins this game goes on to win the 6A title.

To the players of both Avon and Brownsburg:  Leave every single thing you have out there on the field on Friday night.  What you do in this game will create memories that will last for the rest of your life.

3 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

After Avon’s close call against Zionsville, I was considering making Brownsburg the favorite in this game if they put up an impressive performance against Hamilton SE.  But after Brownsburg’s poor showing against HSE, Avon is still the favorite to me to win this game.  In general, I trust Avon in big games more than I do Brownsburg right now.  In the previous 5 meetings they’ve played against each other in the tournament this decade, Avon has won all 5 games.  Also, Brownsburg hasn’t won a sectional title since 2009 while Avon has won a sectional title in 3 of the previous 4 season.  And I think Mark Bless is a better coach than John Hart.

I know it sounds cliche, but I think this game will be determined by who wins the battle at the line of scrimmage.  I also think Brownsburg needs to try and get an early lead to try and build some confidence.  If this game is tied or within 3 points in the 4th quarter, I think Avon will have a mental advantage and make more plays than Brownsburg because of Avon’s success in these kinds of games compared to Brownsburg’s.  I don’t think home field will be a factor in this game because it’s only a 10-15 minute bus ride from Avon to Brownsburg and Avon will probably have as many fans at this game as they do for a home game.  Home field advantage plays a much bigger factor when teams and fans have to travel an hour or an hour and a half to get to a game.

I get as a fan why you would be skeptical about your team’s chances to win this game.  I myself think my LC team is going to lose at LN on Friday even though LC won the regular season meeting between the two teams.  But from an objective perspective, I trust Avon in this spot more than I do Brownsburg.  But Brownsburg could just as easily prove me dead wrong on Friday with the way 6A has gone this season.  I do think that when these two teams play as well as they’re capable of playing, they’re the best two teams in class 6A.  I predict that whoever wins this game goes on to win the 6A title.

To the players of both Avon and Brownsburg:  Leave every single thing you have out there on the field on Friday night.  What you do in this game will create memories that will last for the rest of your life.

Not necessarily saying I disagree but the Bless > Hart statement interests me.  Bless has a career winning percentage of 72 percent while Hart is 76 percent.

# 1 vs #2 in the Sags.  Can't do any better than that.  On paper these teams look evenly matched with SOS (14 and 9) and common opponents (6-1 and 7 - 0).  The first meeting was 7 - 3 for Avon at home.  I see it as another defensive game and the first team to 14 wins.  Which team?  Hard to beat the same team twice in one season.  I'd call it for Avon but think Brownsburg wins at home this time.  Oh the score?  14 - 11.

Edited by itiswhatitis

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Not necessarily saying I disagree but the Bless > Hart statement interests me.  Bless has a career winning percentage of 72 percent while Hart is 76 percent.

More so....Hart has made his impact at a number of schools. Mt Carmel (southern Illinois) back in the day....Reitz to a state championship, Warren Central too....Huntley Illinois he went 28-12 before coming to brownsburg. 

so good at coaching his own sons are just as successful on the gridiron with all they have learned in Harts 30+ years of coaching. 

Nick Hart as we know is the coach of GIbson Southern and is 84-14 since he took over. 

Derek Hart this year took over Kankakee Illinois football program and has immediately turned their program around too. He is currently 8-1 and has the Kay’s ranked 10th in Illinois 5A.

I won’t say someone can’t be better than John Hart. But the man has been outstanding and recently just notched his 300th career victory, currently at 300-91 all time record in 35 seasons...mind you he is only 57 I believe so he has been at this since he was roughly 22 years old 

Mt Carmel (2A Illinois) 101-21 in 11 years.

Reitz 73-17 in 7 years (2007 title)

Warren Central 41-9 in 4 years (2009 title)

Huntley (7A Illinois) 28-12 in 4 years

Brownsburg 32-9 in his 4th season 

Nothing against any other coach but it’s hard to say someone is a better coach than Hart...his 2 sons are successful football coach’s and his 2 daughters are coaches for basketball and volleyball and have been successful there too. 1 was a girls basketball coach for Central/Princeton and has gone 113-25 in 6 seasons. The whole family is coaching gold.  Wherever they go, the players buy in and they win.

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

More so....Hart has made his impact at a number of schools. Mt Carmel (southern Illinois) back in the day....Reitz to a state championship, Warren Central too....Huntley Illinois he went 28-12 before coming to brownsburg. 

so good at coaching his own sons are just as successful on the gridiron with all they have learned in Harts 30+ years of coaching. 

Nick Hart as we know is the coach of GIbson Southern and is 84-14 since he took over. 

Derek Hart this year took over Kankakee Illinois football program and has immediately turned their program around too. He is currently 8-1 and has the Kay’s ranked 10th in Illinois 5A.

I won’t say someone can’t be better than John Hart. But the man has been outstanding and recently just notched his 300th career victory, currently at 300-91 all time record in 35 seasons...mind you he is only 57 I believe so he has been at this since he was roughly 22 years old 

Nothing against any other coach but it’s hard to say someone is a better coach than Hart...his 2 sons are successful football coach’s and his 2 daughters are coaches for basketball and volleyball and have been successful there too. 1 was a girls basketball coach for Central/Princeton and has gone 113-25 in 6 seasons. The whole family is coaching gold.  Wherever they go, the players buy in and they win.

A lot of times, that's what it takes, a good coach can be the foundation.   Case in point: Kansas.  They gave everything Texas could handle.  Why?  Probably because the Mad Hatter on the bench.  Minnesota and Baylor are also examples.  Sure, they're college, but I think a documented head honcho can be the key to success. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gipper said:

A lot of times, that's what it takes, a good coach can be the foundation.   Case in point: Kansas.  They gave everything Texas could handle.  Why?  Probably because the Mad Hatter on the bench.  Minnesota and Baylor are also examples.  Sure, they're college, but I think a documented head honcho can be the key to success. 

Unless we're talking NFL--college coaches have no business there, case in point, Dan Devine...

:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Gipper

15 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I’m schizophrenic.

Being a member of this board causes that. 😂. At least you’re not the worst case. Some people here believe we should cut all the funding for football or in other cases “contract” the number of schools participating.  Talk about having delusions 

4 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I won't get into the one coach is better than the other. Coach Hart and Coach Bless are both outstanding coaches. Coach Bless is part of a coaching family too. His father Bill is University of Indianapolis's all time wins. His 2 brothers are also coaches at Columbus North and Bloomington North. Here is a great article about him: https://fox59.com/2017/09/11/avons-bless-continues-football-coaching-legacy/

At any rate both great coaches. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 3:03 PM, Staxawax said:

Avon @ Brownsburg

Much more at stake than the usual backyard rivalry.  This one is for a chance at a state title.  I said when they met earlier that I thought whoever lost that game would win this one.  Since the draw gave the home field to the Bulldogs it makes even more sense.  These 2 weeks between games has seemed like a month, but it has got to help the health of the players (I have no knowledge if there were any significant injuries to either team).  Only 5 miles from Bulldog Stadium, but I've chosen to remain at home and hopefully it will be carried by TV or a good internet video feed.  I know the atmosphere will be insane.  

Brownsburg 27  Avon 21.

I'm riding the winner, regardless, all the way to Lucas Oil!

Both teams practicing inside today...maybe I was wrong all fall.  MIC schools licking their chops?

Edited by Guest

On Bless vs. Hart...both are transformational coaches. My father was coached by Coach Bless' father at Indiana Central. Both are parts of great Indiana coaching families. You can see what both have done for the programs they are in charge of now. 

On this game, I'll take Avon with a late score. Maybe 35-31 or something.

The things I’ve noticed this entire season, penalties, mental mistakes, not putting teams away....... all came back to haunt #1 tonight. It was pretty clear watching this game that Avon SHOULD have won, but numerous penalties, including unsportsmanlike and late hits, kept the game anybody’s to win. Kudos to Bburg for defensive adjustments and getting 2nd half turnovers. Avon has quite a few keys returning next year so should be something to look forward. But I know this one hurts. Bulldogs will have their hands full next week vs Zionsville. Should be a great game!