Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

10-0 Boone Grove @ 7-3 Andrean

41 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Speaking of Boone Grove, I wonder if @Coach Nowlin remembers the first football game Boone Grove ever played. I refereed that game and it was against Rensselaer’s JV.

Yes, I do.    It was our Freshman we sent up there to play.   Coach Knutson was explaining the situation pre game to our 2 Freshman Coaches at the time Matt Stevens *(still there) and Chief Phillips, (first year off staff, officially retired) and talked about the hoopla ceremony right after kickoff, there was going to be a stoppage in play and game balls handed out to all the stake holders who made it possible to get the program up and running.   Our guys said absolutely no problem at all.   Coach Knutson walked away 2 steps and said in "jest" unless you guys run it all the way back...........

WELP.....   the ceremony went on, Bombers up 6 or 8-0 as Andrew Johns, all 5'2 135 pounds of him zig and zagged his way to paydirt.    Our current JV coach and Head Wrestling Coach, Hunter Hickman was QB of that class and that game as well.   

21 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Yes, I do.    It was our Freshman we sent up there to play.   Coach Knutson was explaining the situation pre game to our 2 Freshman Coaches at the time Matt Stevens *(still there) and Chief Phillips, (first year off staff, officially retired) and talked about the hoopla ceremony right after kickoff, there was going to be a stoppage in play and game balls handed out to all the stake holders who made it possible to get the program up and running.   Our guys said absolutely no problem at all.   Coach Knutson walked away 2 steps and said in "jest" unless you guys run it all the way back...........

WELP.....   the ceremony went on, Bombers up 6 or 8-0 as Andrew Johns, all 5'2 135 pounds of him zig and zagged his way to paydirt.    Our current JV coach and Head Wrestling Coach, Hunter Hickman was QB of that class and that game as well.   

The reason Doug said that was that after he explained their plans to me, I asked him: “if somebody runs it back for a TD, do you want to have the ceremony then, or wait until after the try?” He started laughing ... until he realized I was serious. Turned out, I was also prophetic. 😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Trapper said:

Could have sworn their first program game was @ Culver??

That may have been their first game after they were fully varsity. But their first ever interscholastic game was at the middle school in Boone Grove vs. Rensselaer.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I’m glad to know Boone is repping the Southern reaches of the Region so well!  Tomorrow’s game will be epic.

BG is physical and have three athletes in the backfield you need to stop.  Everyone knows about Vann but #3 QB Mayersky is a tremendous runner, quick and elusive and adds an element to their offense that's difficult to stop.  Then there is the mountain of a man, FB #41 Eriks.  He is physical, blocks well, and runs the ball pretty well on a counter.  I don't think people is giving BG enough credit but clearly I'm biased.  I kinda wish I was heading to this game since no one is streaming it online but it is what it is.  

BG has improved in Coach K's three years there, he's done a great job.  

Hope the place is packed tonight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coach Jennings said:

BG is physical and have three athletes in the backfield you need to stop.  Everyone knows about Vann but #3 QB Mayersky is a tremendous runner, quick and elusive and adds an element to their offense that's difficult to stop.  Then there is the mountain of a man, FB #41 Eriks.  He is physical, blocks well, and runs the ball pretty well on a counter.  I don't think people is giving BG enough credit but clearly I'm biased.  I kinda wish I was heading to this game since no one is streaming it online but it is what it is.  

BG has improved in Coach K's three years there, he's done a great job.  

Hope the place is packed tonight.

Thanks coach 😁

I just saw on the Hoosier Conference thread that Boone Grove had a total of 101 yards of offense. That peeked my interest so I looked more closely at the individual stats. #13 Vann who I had heard so much about had 11 carries for 35 yds and the QB Mayersky had 7 carries for -9 yds and was 3-9 passing for 26 yds. This was supposed to be the game of the week in the region. What happened??? Sounds like Andrean took them to the wood shed. Any insight on the game Graphic Context?

19 hours ago, Spock said:

I just saw on the Hoosier Conference thread that Boone Grove had a total of 101 yards of offense. That peeked my interest so I looked more closely at the individual stats. #13 Vann who I had heard so much about had 11 carries for 35 yds and the QB Mayersky had 7 carries for -9 yds and was 3-9 passing for 26 yds. This was supposed to be the game of the week in the region. What happened??? Sounds like Andrean took them to the wood shed. Any insight on the game Graphic Context?

First of all, Andrean had to outweigh us by 1000 lbs on each side of the ball. They were big and physical.

The field was a mud pit. The only way that we were going to be competitive was if the field was in great condition, and unfortunately, that was not the case. Our track stars were slipping, and could get no traction. We were able to play some solid defense for most of the game, but we were worn out by Andrean's sheer size.

If this game was played at Valpo, the outcome may have been different. Even on kickoffs, Brae'ton was unable to get the proper footing to make a move and push it to the endzone. Simply put, classic physical football won the day.

With that being said, we were able to showcase our Sophomore QB who appears to have a very bright future ahead of him. He looked very promising as he picked Andrean's secondary apart in the fourth quarter, but just wasn't able to get the ball into the endzone. Maybe the game should have been played this way from the second half, but no one would know how a Sophomore QB would react to the pressure of a sectional game of this magnitude.

I give all credit to our boys, they played their hearts out, but at the end of the day, Andrean was just too big for them to handle. I am not sure how big Rensselaer is, but they have their work cutout for them up front.

13 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

SOS

We play a traditional 2A schedule with 2A, 3A, 4A, and one 1A teams. Most of those teams have had good years in their history. Take Whiting for instance, who has been to the state title game in recent years. They just happen to be in a rebuild year, and were not as strong as years past. We cannot control if the teams in our conference as well as outside of our conference are not having good years.

2 hours ago, Graphic Context said:

We play a traditional 2A schedule with 2A, 3A, 4A, and one 1A teams. Most of those teams have had good years in their history. Take Whiting for instance, who has been to the state title game in recent years. They just happen to be in a rebuild year, and were not as strong as years past. We cannot control if the teams in our conference as well as outside of our conference are not having good years.

Never said anything about controlling what other teams do.  Just said SOS.  Anderan's was much better and why I picked them.  It's one thing to play bigger enrollment schools, but when they don't have very good programs, it doesn't help your team much other than to say you beat a bigger school.  I've looked at BG's schedule like I do a LOT of teams in all classes.  I check the Sags every week as well.  I don't pick a team to win "just because".  The team I support is Linton and have for 25 years.  I didn't pick them against Mater Dei just because I support them.  Did I want them to win?  Of course, but even though the two teams were close in the Sagarin Ratings, I picked Mater Dei due to their SOS being a lot better than Linton's.

3 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Never said anything about controlling what other teams do.  Just said SOS.  Anderan's was much better and why I picked them.  It's one thing to play bigger enrollment schools, but when they don't have very good programs, it doesn't help your team much other than to say you beat a bigger school.  I've looked at BG's schedule like I do a LOT of teams in all classes.  I check the Sags every week as well.  I don't pick a team to win "just because".  The team I support is Linton and have for 25 years.  I didn't pick them against Mater Dei just because I support them.  Did I want them to win?  Of course, but even though the two teams were close in the Sagarin Ratings, I picked Mater Dei due to their SOS being a lot better than Linton's.

I do agree that our strength of schedule this year is weak, all I was saying is that it is not always the case. I wish that the teams in the conference were not having down years is all.

OFFENSE          
LT 54 Max Korniak  11 5'11 210
LG 63 Jacob Grow 12 6'1 200
C 50 Kyan Risner 10 6'2 210
RG 64 Owen Davisson 12 5'11 230
RT 71 Jared Riegle 12 6'1 245
TE 41 Luke Standish 12 6'0 195
TE 84 Stephen Duncan 12 5'11 195
FB 20 Kiren Hesson 12 5'11 190
WB 31 Kelton Hesson 10 5'10 165
RB 2 Noah Bierma 11 6'1 185
QB 11 Eli Hickman  12 5'9 160

DT 72 Jordan Cree 9 5'10 200
DT 71 Jared Riegle 12 6'1 245
DE 38 Lorenzo Rameriez 11 5'8 200
DE 63 Jacob Grow 12 6'1 200
ILB 20 Kiren Hesson 12 5'11 190
ILB 41 Luke Standish 12 6'0 195
OLB 48 Ryan Stokes 10 5'10  200
OLB 31 Kelton Hesson 10 5'10 165
CB 2 Noah Bierma 12 6'1 190
CB 34 Addison Wilmington 11 5'8 150
FS 11 Eli Hickman  12 5'9 160

25 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Then I read about the amazing stats being put up by their skill players and an article about The Pancake Posse (thttps://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/football-notes-it-all-starts-up-front-for-boone-grove/article_f6365a82-4fb5-5ae8-b3f9-5e4a4751999c.html thinking this team might make a serious run at LOS. Schedule being changed in near future? 

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:
OFFENSE          
LT 54 Max Korniak  11 5'11 210
LG 63 Jacob Grow 12 6'1 200
C 50 Kyan Risner 10 6'2 210
RG 64 Owen Davisson 12 5'11 230
RT 71 Jared Riegle 12 6'1 245
TE 41 Luke Standish 12 6'0 195
TE 84 Stephen Duncan 12 5'11 195
FB 20 Kiren Hesson 12 5'11 190
WB 31 Kelton Hesson 10 5'10 165
RB 2 Noah Bierma 11 6'1 185
QB 11 Eli Hickman  12 5'9 160

DT 72 Jordan Cree 9 5'10 200
DT 71 Jared Riegle 12 6'1 245
DE 38 Lorenzo Rameriez 11 5'8 200
DE 63 Jacob Grow 12 6'1 200
ILB 20 Kiren Hesson 12 5'11 190
ILB 41 Luke Standish 12 6'0 195
OLB 48 Ryan Stokes 10 5'10  200
OLB 31 Kelton Hesson 10 5'10 165
CB 2 Noah Bierma 12 6'1 190
CB 34 Addison Wilmington 11 5'8 150
FS 11 Eli Hickman  12 5'9 160

Here's some of the gentlemen that play for Andrean:

60 Adam Warren G, DE Sr. 6-2 270
64 Charles E.A. Russell III OL, DL Jr. 6-5 275
65 Dylan Dubiel OL, DL Sr. 6-0 240
71 Caleb Cox OL, DL Sr. 5-11 270
72 Ahmad Laster OL, DL Fr. 6-0 245
73 Nacei Henderson OL, DL Sr. 5-8 230
75 Chuck Roberson OL, DL Jr. 6-5 315
78 Jacob Anderson OL, TE, DL Jr. 6-4 255

Example of a team not named West Lafayette we have played this year:  Western:    

Erb is an ALL STATE dude, Manchild, http://www.hudl.com/profile/9771790/Braydon-Erb  

52 Blake Banter 12 OL/DL 5'10

57 A.J. Swing 12 OL/DE 6'

74 Isaac Bourff 12 OL/DL 6'4 290
60 Brayden Erb 11 OL/DL 6'1 240 
72 Alec Judeika 10 OL/DL 5'10 250

DEFENSE LINE

1 Cooper Jarvis 11 TE/DE 6'3

54 Coby Tuggle 11 OL/DL 5'10 245
75 Dan Marley 11 OL/DL 6'8

52 Blake Banter 12 OL/DL 5'10 245

Andrean's Size is very good, but its not like we haven't dealt with that before in this year and previous years.   It also doesn't mean we automatically will be successful against that size either.   Just that we are used to it because we are never going to be "big" here at Rensselaer, only one time in my 17 years that happened.  that was the 09/10 group.   Both went to Semi state before losing to Luers.  

5 minutes ago, Graphic Context said:

Here's some of the gentlemen that play for Andrean:

60 Adam Warren G, DE Sr. 6-2 270
64 Charles E.A. Russell III OL, DL Jr. 6-5 275
65 Dylan Dubiel OL, DL Sr. 6-0 240
71 Caleb Cox OL, DL Sr. 5-11 270
72 Ahmad Laster OL, DL Fr. 6-0 245
73 Nacei Henderson OL, DL Sr. 5-8 230
75 Chuck Roberson OL, DL Jr. 6-5 315
78 Jacob Anderson OL, TE, DL Jr. 6-4 255

Yes, I know, we have set up film exchange and rosters this week.   :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Example of a team not named West Lafayette we have played this year:  Western:    

Erb is an ALL STATE dude, Manchild, http://www.hudl.com/profile/9771790/Braydon-Erb  

52 Blake Banter 12 OL/DL 5'10

57 A.J. Swing 12 OL/DE 6'

74 Isaac Bourff 12 OL/DL 6'4 290
60 Brayden Erb 11 OL/DL 6'1 240 
72 Alec Judeika 10 OL/DL 5'10 250

DEFENSE LINE

1 Cooper Jarvis 11 TE/DE 6'3

54 Coby Tuggle 11 OL/DL 5'10 245
75 Dan Marley 11 OL/DL 6'8

52 Blake Banter 12 OL/DL 5'10 245

Andrean's Size is very good, but its not like we haven't dealt with that before in this year and previous years.   It also doesn't mean we automatically will be successful against that size either.   Just that we are used to it because we are never going to be "big" here at Rensselaer, only one time in my 17 years that happened.  that was the 09/10 group.   Both went to Semi state before losing to Luers.  

Yes, I know, we have set up film exchange and rosters this week.   :classic_laugh:

I wish you the best of luck!

We go on a summer circuit to see size as well, typically we see Andrean every year, but missed this past year. 

We have went to Michigan City the past few years saw them and New Prairie as well this past summer.  At Manchester camp, went against Mississenewa, SB St Joe just to name a few.  Also hosted Highland and Bremen at our place this past summer too.  

West Lafayette's OL/DL in 2018 makes Andrean's size look small, oh and those Karlaftis kids were ok as well.  

The point is, we have to get our boys used to seeing size and speed of the Hoosier Conference and what we knew would be more than likely Andrean at some point, week 10 11, or in this case 12.   

Andreans size is very good, their defense is good as well.  Their OL is good.  Their Skill kids are good, but its not like we haven't seen it before, which it seems like according to your account, was a shock for your Wolves this past week as you guys were not used to seeeing that size and speed combo before.   Fumbling the 2 out of the 1st 4 offensive plays put you in a hole, which can be difficult to over come. 

Appreciate the well wishes.  We will give it the ole Bomber try.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We go on a summer circuit to see size as well, typically we see Andrean every year, but missed this past year. 

We have went to Michigan City the past few years saw them and New Prairie as well this past summer.  At Manchester camp, went against Mississenewa, SB St Joe just to name a few.  Also hosted Highland and Bremen at our place this past summer too.  

West Lafayette's OL/DL in 2018 makes Andrean's size look small, oh and those Karlaftis kids were ok as well.  

The point is, we have to get our boys used to seeing size and speed of the Hoosier Conference and what we knew would be more than likely Andrean at some point, week 10 11, or in this case 12.   

Andreans size is very good, their defense is good as well.  Their OL is good.  Their Skill kids are good, but its not like we haven't seen it before, which it seems like according to your account, was a shock for your Wolves this past week as you guys were not used to seeeing that size and speed combo before.   Fumbling the 2 out of the 1st 4 offensive plays put you in a hole, which can be difficult to over come. 

Appreciate the well wishes.  We will give it the ole Bomber try.   

I plan to attend the game. I am hoping for some good weather!

• Like 1

Congrats to 59ers on 2a Sectional Championship 

We had been flawless all year in execution but tonight we fumbled 1st two plays just like Boone and spotted 13 points.   Chasing rest of the night.    Down 2 scores in 3rd and dropped another handoff on a drive that Walsh scooped and scored from about 70 yards out.  Probably a 14 point swing since we didnt punt all night or turnover on downs.   But as mentioned the 3 fumbles were tough to overcome against quality team like Andrean.  

We had 31 1st downs.   519 yards of offense.  443 on the ground.   

Turnovers continue to be undefeated 

Cass travels up to Father Eckert Field next week.