Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Road Trip

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

My older sister worked in the Ottawa National Forest for several years. I was able to take a couple of trips UP there. 🙂 It certainly is a different world up there. 

Sports Illustrated did a story about a team in Alaska many years ago. One topic covered was The unreal travel times and mileage for road games. 

Ottawa NF is a great place.  There are so many great spots up there.

• Like 2

My high schools was 2-3 hours to all our conference opponents. The varsity/JV always took charter buses to basketball games. We would get out of class at 2p for road games because we had to be there for the JV game. Sophomores played at 4p so they would get out at noon or 1p. I must have missed 100 classes over 4 years.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

There are few things more satisfying than traveling to someone else’s place, smacking the snot out of them, and then reveling in the victory on a long bus ride home.

That's what I tell my players when we have away games ... the one thing I love more than winning a game on home turf is taking one on someone else's home turf.  Makes the ride home a lot shorter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a cousin who played high school football in alaska. 

3 1/2 hours, 5 1/2 hours, 5 hours and 12 min and 19 hours and 14 mins for four games. 

For the 19 hour game, they took a plane then a ferry haha..

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

14 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

LOL Aren't all of those "old oil money" guys rednecks?  And you are probably right about the limos.  That would be a sight:  a fleet of limos pulling up to a game and the football team all pile out of them.  LOL  Slightly intimidating???

I'm sure many of them are.  That's why I threw in the line about the dually pickups.

11 hours ago, foxbat said:

That's what I tell my players when we have away games ... the one thing I love more than winning a game on home turf is taking one on someone else's home turf.  Makes the ride home a lot shorter.

My Rebels are having a little trouble with that right now, but just give it time.  As Howard Jones once said, things can only get better...

You think the West Cannon Coyotes ever road on a yellow bus ... Doubt it!  This is proof that they charter planes in Texas!

image.jpeg.e0c462a1a3650af414e2643b624f3023.jpeg

On another note ... I had a roommate in college that moved from Thermopolis, WY to Crown Point.  She played basketball and their first road trip was to Merriville.  When she showed up to get on the bus with a pillow, she became a target for ridicule.  By that time, she laughed at the situation, but she said that the shortest trip they ever took in Wyoming was an hour and a half plus.

Sometimes I think that we are just looking for things to complain about.  Some people are not satisfied unless they are unhappy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

You think the West Cannon Coyotes ever road on a yellow bus ... Doubt it!  This is proof that they charter planes in Texas!

image.jpeg.e0c462a1a3650af414e2643b624f3023.jpeg

On another note ... I had a roommate in college that moved from Thermopolis, WY to Crown Point.  She played basketball and their first road trip was to Merriville.  When she showed up to get on the bus with a pillow, she became a target for ridicule.  By that time, she laughed at the situation, but she said that the shortest trip they ever took in Wyoming was an hour and a half plus.

Sometimes I think that we are just looking for things to complain about.  Some people are not satisfied unless they are unhappy.

Thermopolis...a long way from anywhere, just like Kemmerererererer.

Edited by Gipper

16 hours ago, Warren05 said:

One of my coolest travel stories ever didnt even start with a high school game in mind. A buddy and I went to Bloomington for the Bucket game. It was about half time and Purdue was killing IU and I turned to my buddy and said hey Roncolli is playing Jasper for a semi-state title tonight in Jasper wanna leave here and head to the game? Him being as crazy as I am said sure. Neither of us had ever been to Jasper so I had to look it up on my phone. We hopped in the truck and started down south to go watch the game. I put in Jasper High School in my phone thinking the stadium was at the school. Well we get there and the school looks deserted. A guys just happened to be walking his dog and told us the field was actually near the center of town. We got there the visiting stands and home stands were packed so we ended up standing I  the end zone. I looked over and low and behold Jimmy "Mad Dog" was standing right next to me chewing on a cigar. Didnt get back into indy till almost 1 in the morning. Best road trip for football I've ever been on. 

I love traveling 

Similar to a buddy and I's tradition. Thanksgiving Thursday, downtown Indy Thursday night, state games Friday,  Bucket game Saturday, and if the Colts are at home......

On 10/30/2019 at 9:51 AM, Punttheball said:

Honestly, I think most of the complaints come when you drive by 2-3 schools of the same size on your way to a sectional match up.  

Yeah that's how it seemed when my brother played. We drove towards Muncie/Anderson areas for games when we had other schools/traditional foes our size that were in other sectionals. We ended up traveling for regional to the one traditional sectional foe that year and were defeated in terrible weather semi state game at home. I drove my parents while my now wife stayed home with my now step kids. That was a fun year as my brother's little league teammates from Ohio did well and we traveled to watch them for their last win in the playoffs that year. We had Friday and Saturday travel while trying to keep track of college football. Once all the kids are older it would be fun to do that again since the step kids and one of my cousin's kids go to school in Ohio and my kids and another cousin's kids go/will go to school in Indiana. 

22 hours ago, Gipper said:

My Rebels are having a little trouble with that right now, but just give it time.  As Howard Jones once said, things can only get better...

I must confess that my youth teams were responsible for a couple of these this past semester.