Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Enough already

Looking over these forums, there is a lot of whining.  No need.  We live in the best country in the world and are privileged enough to be fans if a great game (and games should be fun, but that’s another story 😉).  I don’t think we should beat each other up over schematics.  There’s no such thing as a perfect system, just enjoy the sport for what it is.  It’s impossible to keep all of the of the people happy all of the time/nobody gets all the cards (take your pick).

That being said, San Dimas High School football rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I try not to whine about it, but I just feel bad for high school football programs that don't have a quality Endzone camera to use. As an example, Evansville Day school has never won a single football game in the history of their program. They also don't have an Endzone camera. Coincidence? Me thinks not.

Edited by Tanka Jahari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I try not to whine about it, but I just feel bad for high school football programs that don't have a quality Endzone camera to use. As an example, Evansville Day school has never won a single football game in the history of their program. They also don't have an Endzone camera. Coincidence? Me thinks not.

Using that logic it would seem that schools which don't have an Endzone camera have effectively been winless since their invention/availability in the market.  Is this really true?

6 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

The lack of end zone cameras, is depressing, sad, and flat out wrong.  But I don’t think legendary athletes like Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, and Bart Starr had them...

Nor did O. J...

BTW, I had a typo in my original post, so I feel compelled to apologize.  Then again, in my “grab a flask, we’re playing fast and loose” approach to posting there’s no need and typing on an iPhone can be problematic as those keys are little!!!

Edited by Gipper

9 hours ago, Gipper said:

The lack of end zone cameras, is depressing, sad, and flat out wrong.  But I don’t think legendary athletes like Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, and Bart Starr had them...

Pretty sure Bart Starr did though. Lombardi was the OC at West Point under Red Blaik. Blaik was the first coach to record practices and games. Lombardi loved watching film. It is really the main thing that drove his smoking habit. While at West Point, Lombardi was the one who had to drive in to NYC once a week to the Waldorf Astoria. He had to show then “retired” General Douglas MacCarthur the film from the previous game, as well as the game plan for the upcoming opponent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Pretty sure Bart Starr did though. Lombardi was the OC at West Point under Red Blaik. Blaik was the first coach to record practices and games. Lombardi loved watching film. It is really the main thing that drove his smoking habit. While at West Point, Lombardi was the one who had to drive in to NYC once a week to the Waldorf Astoria. He had to show then “retired” General Douglas MacCarthur the film from the previous game, as well as the game plan for the upcoming opponent. 

I stand corrected, thanks for the info.  I don’t know if you caught it, but the Lombardi Trophy is named as such due to Lamar Hunt, the late owner of the Chiefs. Incidentally, GB and KC played in the first AFL-NFL as it was then known. 

That concludes your Cliff Clavin Information Nugget of the Day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I stand corrected, thanks for the info.  I don’t know if you caught it, but the Lombardi Trophy is named as such due to Lamar Hunt, the late owner of the Chiefs. Incidentally, GB and KC played in the first AFL-NFL as it was then known. 

That concludes your Cliff Clavin Information Nugget of the Day.  

I did see that. That was cool. You NEED to read "When Pride Still Mattered" by Dave Maraniss. It is the most detailed biography of Lombardi. It is loaded with similar nuggets like that. All the connections to the greats of the game is impressive. Lombardi was even friends with a lounge singer from Hoboken, NJ LONG before either became famous. 

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

I did see that. That was cool. You NEED to read "When Pride Still Mattered" by Dave Maraniss. It is the most detailed biography of Lombardi. It is loaded with similar nuggets like that. All the connections to the greats of the game is impressive. Lombardi was even friends with a lounge singer from Hoboken, NJ LONG before either became famous. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

Very in depth biography.  I don’t think anyone will ever accuse Maraniss of falling too much in love with his subject, though. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Irishman said:

Sir, it brings a tear to my eye to imagine the boundless joy that Coach Lombardi would have experienced watching endzone cut-ups filmed from a Hi-Pod X31. 

• Like 1