Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wrong Ball

Esso Ayche

Question

First and ten on the A 40 yard line.  A-28 fumbles at the A 45 yard line and B-56 scoops and scores.  On the ensuing two-point try, A's game ball is still in play and the pass from B-9 is thrown well high and wide of the intended receiver by several yards.  The QB immediately points out to the official that the ball was not B's.  The officials quickly retrieve the B ball and each team lines back down to replay the try.  In the confusion the A sideline assumes there was a pre-snap whistle or some other issue that stopped the initial try and they are waiting on a signal and/or explanation from the officials.  Things move quickly and before anyone from the A sideline gets the attention of the officials for clarification the try is replayed successfully with B's ball.

My gut says the try should be left as no good and move along to kickoff; it's B's responsibility to get in their preferred game ball... too bad, so sad.  Is there anything about protesting the use of the wrong ball after the fact and getting to replay the down? 

13 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

First and ten on the A 40 yard line.  A-28 fumbles at the A 45 yard line and B-56 scoops and scores.  On the ensuing two-point try, A's game ball is still in play and the pass from B-9 is thrown well high and wide of the intended receiver by several yards.  The QB immediately points out to the official that the ball was not B's.  The officials quickly retrieve the B ball and each team lines back down to replay the try.  In the confusion the A sideline assumes there was a pre-snap whistle or some other issue that stopped the initial try and they are waiting on a signal and/or explanation from the officials.  Things move quickly and before anyone from the A sideline gets the attention of the officials for clarification the try is replayed successfully with B's ball.

My gut says the try should be left as no good and move along to kickoff; it's B's responsibility to get in their preferred game ball... too bad, so sad.  Is there anything about protesting the use of the wrong ball after the fact and getting to replay the down? 

No

1 hour ago, Esso Ayche said:

38 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

No

Not just “no,” but “Hell No!”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not unusual to have a play or two each game with the wrong team's ball. This is one example. The other is getting the wrong ball from the ball boy and not catching it. There is nothing that says a team has to use their own ball for any play. It says they may use any approved ball of their choice. If they don't notice before the play the ball isn't theirs they play with it.

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Last week we had the first team I’ve seen all year that didn’t use a GST 1003, they used a Wilson GST Prime. The only difference I see in balls is how aged they are. For whatever reason kids today prefer worn balls. 

I don't pay attention at all to the brand of ball. I couldn't tell you what was used during or after any game. We see a lot more newer balls than aged ball so it probably depends on the school.

Are there any schools not using Wilson footballs? I ask because for the sectional, schools are “encouraged” to use the Wilson 1003 GST, 1001 or 1005. At the Regional level and above, it’s mandatory. And for the finals, only the 1003 GST will be used.

2 hours ago, JustRules said:

I just don't pay attention to the brand. I'm looking for the mark I put on the ball to make sure I have the right team's ball.

It's the giant W that jumps out at me. And I seldom touch a ball. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Are there any schools not using Wilson footballs? I ask because for the sectional, schools are “encouraged” to use the Wilson 1003 GST, 1001 or 1005. At the Regional level and above, it’s mandatory. And for the finals, only the 1003 GST will be used.

Since the IHSAA made the Wilson deal, I have maybe seen two non-Wilson balls. And it's been a while since I've seen either of them. 

On 10/30/2019 at 8:04 PM, Esso Ayche said:

I cannot believe that this happened........was it this past Friday's game?  A second round sectional game?

12 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

No, lower level game earlier this year. Fortunately it was of no consequence on the final outcome... not a close game.

Ok......not that it's right, but a little more forgivable than a varsity game would be.