Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

home and away

This is so regular season now, but...

I noticed outstanding schools West Lafayette and Lewis Cass met twice, two weeks apart.  As with the Nationals and Astros, there was no home-field advantage in these games.  Now, one has a team that could go deep in the 3A playoffs, the other the same in 2A, so a good match-up/tune-up on the schedules.

Is this common?  And how did it develop that they played each other in football twice?

Just curious.   Thanks, CB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I assumed that was a mistake by Harrell.

No, this actually happened.  Although I'm not an expert (as far as you can get away from it actually), I think it has something to do with the Hoosier Conference Crossover.  Coach Nowlin is the dude to ask, he's smart...

4 minutes ago, Converse Borderman said:

This is so regular season now, but...

I noticed outstanding schools West Lafayette and Lewis Cass met twice, two weeks apart.  As with the Nationals and Astros, there was no home-field advantage in these games.  Now, one has a team that could go deep in the 3A playoffs, the other the same in 2A, so a good match-up/tune-up on the schedules.

Is this common?  And how did it develop that they played each other in football twice?

Just curious.   Thanks, CB

1 minute ago, Staxawax said:

I assumed that was a mistake by Harrell.

Hoosier Conference is set up in 2 division East and West

Week 9 is Hoosier Conference Championship Crossover Week

#1 East Cass vs #1 West West Lafayette and on the way down the list based on how you finished in your division.   

When Delphi left conference 4 years ago, Conference decided to play out all the non conference contracts and new schedules would be done and each school from each side of the conference would pick 2 teams to play as Non conference games.  

RCHS:  We play Western and Northwwestern

WL:  played Hamilton Heights and Cass

LCC:  Played Tipton and Northwestern

BC:  played Cass and Western

Twin Lakes: Played Hamilton Heights Tipton 

So Cass and WL played week 7 and then again week 9 :  This year WEST division of the Hoosier hosted the EAST.   Next year East will host the West in week 9 games. 

This year the West went 4-1 vs East during Championship week

1st Cass 

2nd WL

3rd:  LCC 

4th  Western

5th  RCHS

6th  TIpton 

7th  Twin Lakes

8th:  Hamilton Heights

9th:  Benton Central

10th:  Northwestern  

HOOSIER
ALL TIMES EASTERN
East Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Cass 4-0 173 33 9-  1 431 169 Won 3
Western 3-1 181 74 6-  3 362 192 Lost 1
Tipton 2-2 105 109 6-  4 284 197 Won 1
Hamilton Heights 1-3 77 130 2-  8 176 358 Lost 4
Northwestern 0-4 13 203 0-10 68 408 Lost 11
West Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
West Lafayette 4-0 215 20 8-  2 535 194 Won 1
Central Catholic 3-1 85 74 7-  3 251 198 Won 6
Rensselaer 2-2 97 70 8-  2 301 121 Won 4
Twin Lakes 1-3 68 103 4-  6 224 243 Won 2
Benton Central 0-4 27 225 1-  9 108 529 Lost 1

My understanding is that the Hoosier Conference is split East/West.  The last week of the year the #1 East plays the #1 West team.  It just so happens that the teams scheduled a "non-conference" game against a team from the other. I'm sure @Coach Nowlin can explain better. 

^^^ Like I said he would!  LOL  ^^^^

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Hoosier Conference is set up in 2 division East and West

Week 9 is Hoosier Conference Championship Crossover Week

#1 East Cass vs #1 West West Lafayette and on the way down the list based on how you finished in your division.   

When Delphi left conference 4 years ago, Conference decided to play out all the non conference contracts and new schedules would be done and each school from each side of the conference would pick 2 teams to play as Non conference games.  

RCHS:  We play Western and Northwwestern

WL:  played Hamilton Heights and Cass

LCC:  Played Tipton and Northwestern

BC:  played Cass and Western

Twin Lakes: Played Hamilton Heights Tipton 

So Cass and WL played week 7 and then again week 9 :  This year WEST division of the Hoosier hosted the EAST.   Next year East will host the West in week 9 games. 

This year the West went 4-1 vs East during Championship week

1st Cass 

2nd WL

3rd:  LCC 

4th  Western

5th  RCHS

6th  TIpton 

7th  Twin Lakes

8th:  Hamilton Heights

9th:  Benton Central

10th:  Northwestern  

HOOSIER
ALL TIMES EASTERN
East Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
Cass 4-0 173 33 9-  1 431 169 Won 3
Western 3-1 181 74 6-  3 362 192 Lost 1
Tipton 2-2 105 109 6-  4 284 197 Won 1
Hamilton Heights 1-3 77 130 2-  8 176 358 Lost 4
Northwestern 0-4 13 203 0-10 68 408 Lost 11
West Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
West Lafayette 4-0 215 20 8-  2 535 194 Won 1
Central Catholic 3-1 85 74 7-  3 251 198 Won 6
Rensselaer 2-2 97 70 8-  2 301 121 Won 4
Twin Lakes 1-3 68 103 4-  6 224 243 Won 2
Benton Central 0-4 27 225 1-  9 108 529 Lost 1

I told you he was smart!

1 minute ago, Staxawax said:

Strange that they don't count games against the other division as conference games.

to get a fair representation of ranking the 2 divisions then you cannot count those games as true conference games.

Look at it this way:  The conference ADs got together, I am sure Principals were involved too, and said hey, its a pain to find non conference games, so instead of trying to find 4 non conference games, lets each help each other out and 2 teams will play these games and saves 2 other dates for other non conference games.

It would NOT be fun if the Hoosier went to a SAC Model of all 9 games being CONFERENCE Games.   For instance, if that was the case, RCHS would then lose out on playing our county Rival, Kankakee Valley week 1, lose the "Cracker Barrel" game that week as well and the travelling trophy would have been retired.  Nobody in our community nor KV community would want that.    Same with playing North Newton.  Our two schools played since the 60s and even before when it was just Morroco High School.   Only 20 minute trip and game the locals on both sides love to play.  

WL would not been able to start a series with Lafayette Jeff 

LCC would not been able to play Guerin for the Bishop's Cannon 

Benton Central and Seeger long time series would of come to a halt. 

Just some examples.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

to get a fair representation of ranking the 2 divisions then you cannot count those games as true conference games.

Look at it this way:  The conference ADs got together, I am sure Principals were involved too, and said hey, its a pain to find non conference games, so instead of trying to find 4 non conference games, lets each help each other out and 2 teams will play these games and saves 2 other dates for other non conference games.

It would NOT be fun if the Hoosier went to a SAC Model of all 9 games being CONFERENCE Games.   For instance, if that was the case, RCHS would then lose out on playing our county Rival, Kankakee Valley week 1, lose the "Cracker Barrel" game that week as well and the travelling trophy would have been retired.  Nobody in our community nor KV community would want that.    Same with playing North Newton.  Our two schools played since the 60s and even before when it was just Morroco High School.   Only 20 minute trip and game the locals on both sides love to play.  

WL would not been able to start a series with Lafayette Jeff 

LCC would not been able to play Guerin for the Bishop's Cannon 

Benton Central and Seeger long time series would of come to a halt. 

Just some examples.  

I wish you would have explained this to the SIAC ADs!  Instead we went the lazy route and now have a nine game conference schedule.  We have effectively built a wall around our league and said, "We are better than all of you, see you in the playoffs."  If that is not the message than it is simply, ADs unwilling to recognize that playing out of league games is beneficial for everyone in the league.  Sorry for not feeling bad that it might be difficult once in a while to get games scheduled, but that is part of the job that they signed up for.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Makes perfect sense.  And it looks like in the two cases of schools happening to meet up a second time, you got two more great games, even match-ups.  And different results - just as Cass and West Lafayette "split," Hamilton Heights beat Twin Lakes 27 - 20 and then lost 28 - 21.  The schools went down the line, 4 - 0, 3 - 1, 2 - 2, etc., which may not happen often.  If all 2 - 2?  I'm sure there are then "tie-breaking" measurements, such as PF, PA.  Does the #1s game then count as THE conference championship?

yes there is a criteria for breaking ties, I know 3 years ago I think it was used for the East division, but what that currently is right now, i do not know.   

Last year, RCHS drew Cass in the crossover week, lost 20-14 at their place, then had Cass again 2 weeks later and lost 14-7 at their place in sectionals.   

That is why when Hoosier went to this schedule, our stance at 2a Rensselaer was we did not want to play any 2a programs from the East, Tipton/Cass because of a chance of having to play a team 3 times in a year is just not good for anyone.   So we have 4a Western and 3a Northwestern.   

On 11/1/2019 at 10:35 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

yes there is a criteria for breaking ties, I know 3 years ago I think it was used for the East division, but what that currently is right now, i do not know.   

Last year, RCHS drew Cass in the crossover week, lost 20-14 at their place, then had Cass again 2 weeks later and lost 14-7 at their place in sectionals.   

That is why when Hoosier went to this schedule, our stance at 2a Rensselaer was we did not want to play any 2a programs from the East, Tipton/Cass because of a chance of having to play a team 3 times in a year is just not good for anyone.   So we have 4a Western and 3a Northwestern.   

I just discovered the thread on here, "Hoosier Conference 2019," which has even more good information on all this.  Had I just seen that first, oh well, thanks to all who responded to my question.  I am a product of one of the schools which was -- this is from a teenager's perspective, even though I'm old now -- kicked out of the Mid Indiana Conference because of how football playoff points were awarded.  2A schools received fewer points for a win over a 1A, and no points when we beat them.  All we really knew is suddenly we were on longer bus rides, asking "Where is Whitko?"  Those Three Rivers Conference schools were tough to beat.  Especially any game at Death Valley.  At the time the TRC was 1A schools but now it looks like it, too, is comprised of 1As, 2As, 3As.  Western is 4A now?  Wow.  Their basketball gym wasn't very big!  But, their teams were always good.  Best wishes to all in the playoffs.

• Like 1

tournament protocol i don't like.  Castle High School and Bloomington South will have met 4 times in the ihsaa tournament after this friday and every matchup will have been played at castle. The previous match ups were in the regional round which i believe the protocol is that the bottom bracket is the home team or the team that has not had a home game yet. Which is not a good protocol imo. Default for the regional  i think equates to  the sectional that is north in the regional bracket is always going to have to travel south if the south team had to play on the road or whichever team had less home games or something like that. This year they are meeting in the sectional final  and again are driving all the way to castle . If south wins and jeffersonville beats floyd then south is on the road to jeffersonville again another long drive. I think the protocol needs to be rethought at this point.