Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Another coach penalized for running up the score

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/long-island-high-school-football-coach-suspended-for-running-up-the-score-against-previously-undefeated-foe

This situation's a little different than the previous one.  After reading the article, two things stand out to me:

1. The coach didn't pull his starters even with a 5-possession lead in 4th quarter.  Not cool says I.  Let your 2nd stringers get some valuable time vs. the other teams 1st string.  If opponent starts a comeback, your starters go back in.  Bad form by the winning coach, but not deserving of a sanctioning IMO.

2. The Nassau County Lopsided Score Committee?  REALLY?  Once again, at a total loss for words. 🏈 ❄️ 

Edited by Bonecrusher

20 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/long-island-high-school-football-coach-suspended-for-running-up-the-score-against-previously-undefeated-foe

This situation's a little different than the previous one.  After reading the article, two things stand out to me:

1. The coach didn't pull his starters even with a 5-possession lead in 4th quarter.  Not cool says I.  Let your 2nd stringers get some valuable time vs. the other teams 1st string.  If opponent starts a comeback, your starters go back in.  Bad form by the winning coach, but not deserving of a sanctioning IMO.

2. The Nassau County Lopsided Score Committee?  REALLY?  Once again, at a total loss for words. 🏈 ❄️ 

Yeah, they usually get the meeting room right after the Healthy Snacks In Concession Stands Committee meets. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

wow....I can only imagine how heated that got....any chance you could give a quick synopsis or do you get Vietnam like flashbacks thinking about it?

It was basically the camp of "Get Better Or Get Used To It" neanderthalism  vs.  the camp of  "But why would you choose to do this in a game played by Children?" enlightenment. 

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

It was basically the camp of "Get Better Or Get Used To It" neanderthalism  vs.  the camp of  "But why would you choose to do this in a game played by Children?" enlightenment. 

How long were starters in, and were they throwing the ball?

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Ahhhh yes. Sounds about right. Seems to me like someone was being a real Richard. But I could be misinformed. 

6 minutes ago, Gipper said:

We’re they going for two after each touchdown?  

Looks to me like two missed extra points in the first half according to the box score...

Anyone with a maxpreps account?  

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/games/10-17-2008/football-fall-08/clinton-prairie-vs-lafayette-central-catholic.htm?c=WJVt5zdGikWnXoTcufrs_g#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Just now, Coach Nowlin said:

I believe LCC was running QB sneaks for long yardage TDs'   

We can get back into the weeds of this again, but the underlying question behind this statement is "why are you running plays at all?", especially if are ahead by 5+ score in the 4th quarter already.   Take a knee 3 times, run down the clock, then punt.   Easy peasy.

• Haha 1

Just now, Muda69 said:

We can get back into the weeds of this again, but the underlying question behind this statement is "why are you running plays at all?", especially if are ahead by 5+ score in the 4th quarter already.   Take a knee 3 times, run down the clock, then punt.   Easy peasy.

Yea man, I know I look at this game from a different lens then you do, but from my lens, I would find that more disrespectful 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Coach vs Fan

Do I need to go further? 

High School Coach vs Pop Warner Coach

Just in case you were youth league volunteer coach back in your boys' day.  

I still don't understand.  Specifics please?  Why must a Coach have a "score/win at all cost mentality" all of the time. When is enough enough?

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I still don't understand.  Specifics please?  Why must a Coach have a "score/win at all cost mentality" all of the time. When is enough enough?

As a Coach, I will still want to achieve X's O's and work on competitive situations as I build my team, even in the most severe blowouts, I feel like you can still get something to build on in these scenarios, as a Coach, you find things to build on that are positive, when negative things occur, you look to find ways to fix that in real time situations. 

I cannot do this while watching an offense taking 3 knees and punting.   "Score/win at all cost mentality" is not what I am referring too, its each play an opportunity to build to success.   

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

As a Coach, I will still want to achieve X's O's and work on competitive situations as I build my team, even in the most severe blowouts, I feel like you can still get something to build on in these scenarios, as a Coach, you find things to build on that are positive, when negative things occur, you look to find ways to fix that in real time situations. 

I cannot do this while watching an offense taking 3 knees and punting.   "Score/win at all cost mentality" is not what I am referring too, its each play an opportunity to build to success.   

I fail to see the objective "competitive situations" in the 4th quarter of an already 60-0 blowout.  End the game as quickly as possibly,  shake hands, then move on.