Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Another coach penalized for running up the score

Sorry that you cannot fathom that a Coach could actually still get something out of every second of a 48 minute game, regardless of the score. 

As a Fan, I could see why you want to get to the car as quickly as possible.   Hence different lens we see the game played by children from.   

For me, this is my career and profession, for others its a hobby.  

• Like 3

The more things change the more they stay the same:  https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/blogs/sam-king/2019/11/01/lafayette-area-high-school-football-predictions/4119127002/

Clinton Prairie (6-4) at Central Catholic (7-3)

Saturday night under the lights for this one. Clinton Prairie allowed a combined 176 points to Attica, Sheridan, Delphi and Eastern. CC has allowed 198 points all season and that includes two 3A teams that each put a 50-spot on the board (in addition to two touchdowns scored on the JV on the final play of games). Yes, the Gophers can put points on the board, too, but Central Catholic is a better team than any of those squads. The Knights are primed for their offensive performance of the season.

Prediction: Central Catholic 60, Clinton Prairie 21.

Could be another 96-0 never forget moment.

8 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Looks to me like two missed extra points in the first half according to the box score...

Anyone with a maxpreps account?  

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/games/10-17-2008/football-fall-08/clinton-prairie-vs-lafayette-central-catholic.htm?c=WJVt5zdGikWnXoTcufrs_g#tab=box-score&schoolid=

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

How long were starters in, and were they throwing the ball?

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

My gawd.  What’s the story there?

Correct ... two missed although MaxPreps shows only 11 PAT points there were 12 made by the kicker, Budny, on 14 attempts.  Other details of the game include ... you can find these on the same Maxpreps site with a little digging:

• Six TDs scored in 2nd half
    • Kickoff returned for TD.  Almond had a 77-yard kick return.  He's listed with 3 rushing TDs, which occurred in the 1st half, but 4 TDs total ... hence the kickoff return.  Almond returned a total of two kicks for the entire season.
    • Milakis, a junior and starting linebacker, who scored at the start of the 2nd half also was sometimes used as a fullback.  The two carries in that game was his third lowest set of carries for the season behind a pair of 1-carry games against Guerin and Sheridan.  He touched the ball twice that night for a net of 18 yards.  Once for a 2-yard gain and once for a 16-yard TD.
    • Burns, a junior and starting DB, carried the ball a total of three times the entire season.  He gained 40 yards total on those three carries with 26 yards being his long and 1 TD.  Needless to say that, not only was he not an offensive starter, he really wasn't even a backup.
    • Munn, the backup freshman QB, had a total of 1 carry in the game that went for 15 yards and a TD ... most likely a broken play given that Munn's "rushing stats" for the whole season showed 11 total carries for -2 yards.  He finished the season with 1 TD and only one game with positive yards.
    • Kendrick, a sophomore linebacker and backup fullback, touched the ball twice in that game for a net of 30 yards and a TD.  His longest run was 31 yards, so he lost a yard on his first carry.
    • Freshman Danny Anthrop, another backup FB and backup LB, touched the ball twice that night.  He netted 93 yards for the night with one TD.  His longest run for the night was a 59-yard run and his other run went for 34.  He amassed a total of 1 TD for the season. 

The other rushing backs that LCC used that night, outside of the starter, Almond, who had 10 carries for 115 yards and 3 TDs, had the following stats:

• Christopher, sophomore, with two runs for 16 yards net, with the longest being 13 yards.
  • Schrader, sophomore, 1 carry for 9 yards.
  • Brinson, a senior, 1 carry for 2 yards.

In the first half, 5 of LCC's TDs came from passes to starting receivers Brinson and Murphy.  3 rushing TDs came from starter Almond.  Junior QB Mills, who would go on to set records at UIndy, was 15 for 26 for the night with 256 yards, 5 TDs, and no picks.

Not taking a stand one way or the other, but looking at the stats gives an indication of how the game unfolded ... especially in light of season stats.  This will probably answer several of the questions about passing, starters, and how the scores occurred.  Full stats can be found here: https://www.maxpreps.com/games/10-17-2008/football-fall-08/clinton-prairie-vs-lafayette-central-catholic.htm?c=WJVt5zdGikWnXoTcufrs_g#tab=box-score&schoolid=. 

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

So I guess giving the ball to a number of players who normally don't run the ball so they score against an inferior and totally outmatched opponent is just those  "competitive situations"  coaches yearn for.    Got it.

You see, I was speaking from a Defensive mind during this scenario you want to talk about. 

Offensively, yes, not much you are going to get out of a lopsided score, so you run your basic dive, lead plays with backups, then there backups, then sometimes lineman, just like Wheeler did last Friday, last play of the game, a SR lineman took the handoff and had a great time carrying the ball to finish the game.  Score did not matter to him or his teammates at that time.  

And with that I bid you all farewell to rehash all this old nonsense 

Very slippery slope here.  With regard to the kids who don't score often who suddenly find them themselves thrust into that position: sure they want to take advantage and do well (human nature), it must be hard for them to go out and just fall over.

When I was a H.S. player, if an opponent was ahead that far started taking a knee every down/punting on 1st down/etc. I would have been offended.  I would have seen that as a slap in the face.  Ya'll think we suck that bad that you don't even want to play the game?  If we have to stay out here, even with a running clock, then let's play some ball.  I would have preferred to go down fighting.  Losing a game against an opponent in that manner would have felt more humiliating than running simple plays.  It's like they're dumbing down the game just for you.  Even if 2nd string is in and they're running basic plays, it still resembles normal game play.  Continuous kneeling, punting, etc. does not IMHO.

Ya'll feel free to disagree, but that's how I would have felt and ain't nothing changing my mind.  Maybe I'm just too old school.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foxbat said:

BTW, it's not the most points scored in Indiana ... 156 back in 1924. 

Well, we need to get the full scoop on that 1924 & criticize whomever is to blame! I bet those poor kids on the losing end never recovered. Maybe we can ask their Great-Great-Great Grandchildren for some stories of woe.

Just now, Bonecrusher said:

When I was a H.S. player, if an opponent was ahead that far started taking a knee every down/punting on 1st down/etc. I would have been offended.  I would have seen that as a slap in the face.  Ya'll think we suck that bad that you don't even want to play the game?  If we have to stay out here, even with a running clock, then let's play some ball.  I would have preferred to go down fighting.  Losing a game against an opponent in that manner would have felt more humiliating than running simple plays.  It's like they're dumbing down the game just for you.  Even if 2nd string is in and they're running basic plays, it still resembles normal game play.  Continuous kneeling, punting, etc. does not IMHO.

Ya'll feel free to disagree, but that's how I would have felt and ain't nothing changing my mind.  Maybe I'm just too old school.

Agree 100%. Back in my day, we were on the short end of a few 40-0 type games. Basic plays by 2nd or 3rd string was just fine. Kneeling down would be akin to taunting.

4 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/long-island-high-school-football-coach-suspended-for-running-up-the-score-against-previously-undefeated-foe

This situation's a little different than the previous one.  After reading the article, two things stand out to me:

1. The coach didn't pull his starters even with a 5-possession lead in 4th quarter.  Not cool says I.  Let your 2nd stringers get some valuable time vs. the other teams 1st string.  If opponent starts a comeback, your starters go back in.  Bad form by the winning coach, but not deserving of a sanctioning IMO.

2. The Nassau County Lopsided Score Committee?  REALLY?  Once again, at a total loss for words. 🏈 ❄️ 

Back to the topic.

One other thing stood out to me: “previously undefeated foe.”

Presumably not a “hapless” opponent. Although it does seem, even though both teams were undefeated Plainedge clearly operates at a higher level than South Shore.

Perhaps South Shore needs to upgrade it’s schedule to be better prepared for the likes of Plainedge.

Get better or go home! 😜

1 hour ago, ts32 said:

Back to the topic.

One other thing stood out to me: “previously undefeated foe.”

Presumably not a “hapless” opponent. Although it does seem, even though both teams were undefeated Plainedge clearly operates at a higher level than South Shore.

Perhaps South Shore needs to upgrade it’s schedule to be better prepared for the likes of Plainedge.

Get better or go home! 😜

I agree with your last point 100%!  But again, that’s a tough one.  Many people want competitive balance and similar Marxist outcomes.  Here’s my balance: one winner, one loser.