Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Round 2 upsets

Based on my ugly contest bracket, 6A was a minefield for the favorites...

#4 Merrillville 27 #2T Laf Jeff 20

Carroll 42 #11 Snider 31 at Snider

Westfield 42 #6 Fishers 14

#8 Brownsburg 27 #1 Avon 24 (revenge for when Avon knocked out unbeaten BB last year 38-0)

LN 14 LC 7

Franklin Central 14 Col North 11

(near-huge upset: #2T unbeaten Homestead scored late to take 1-8 Noblesville to OT & then Homestead won 24-21)

5A 

Slicers knocked off Michigan City 14-10 @ City (Hmmmmm....where's that preseason article in which MC Coach Mason proclaimed that it would be either Valpo or City representing the north at LOS?)

Castle 28 @ #8 Bl North 21 OT

4A

Lebanon 32 Western 31

3A

2-8 Princeton 35 8-2 Edgewood 6 (35-6?!!!)

2A 

Andrean 27 #6 Boone Grove 0

1A

Northfield 14 #3 Southwood 6

2 hours ago, Staxawax said:

We must have different definitions of “upset”.

Most people would say the #1 undefeated 6A team in the state losing to anyone would be an upset. Ohio state losing to Michogan this year would be an upset. LSU beating Alabama next week would be an upset. 

When 1 team is favored and they lose to the underdog I would call that an upset. When LC Beat WC back in 2012 I think, it was in the first round they called that an upset. 

Merrivile beating Jeff last night was an upset. 

It happens to everyone. Sucks when it happens to your team I know. 

2 hours ago, Staxawax said:

We must have different definitions of “upset”.

I agree. A team that beats an opponent that they lost 3-7 to the first time, isn't much of an upset. #2 losing at #4 isn't much of an upset either. 

Edited by vicvinegar

I'm not sure that Andrean knocking off Boone Grove would be specifically be considered an upset, but I think the way they did it does qualify as surprising ... especially as a shutout.

8 hours ago, slice60 said:

Based on my ugly contest bracket, 6A was a minefield for the favorites...

#4 Merrillville 27 #2T Laf Jeff 20

Carroll 42 #11 Snider 31 at Snider

Westfield 42 #6 Fishers 14

#8 Brownsburg 27 #1 Avon 24 (revenge for when Avon knocked out unbeaten BB last year 38-0)

LN 14 LC 7

Franklin Central 14 Col North 11

(near-huge upset: #2T unbeaten Homestead scored late to take 1-8 Noblesville to OT & then Homestead won 24-21)

5A 

Slicers knocked off Michigan City 14-10 @ City (Hmmmmm....where's that preseason article in which MC Coach Mason proclaimed that it would be either Valpo or City representing the north at LOS?)

Castle 28 @ #8 Bl North 21 OT

4A

Lebanon 32 Western 31

3A

2-8 Princeton 35 8-2 Edgewood 6 (35-6?!!!)

2A 

Andrean 27 #6 Boone Grove 0

1A

Northfield 14 #3 Southwood 6

I still contend Andrean over Boone Grove was not an upset.  Andrean plays in a much tougher conference and were much more physical.  I still like BG, don’t get me wrong, but this was not an upset.  The Rensselaer game will be epic.

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gipper said:

I still contend Andrean over Boone Grove was not an upset.  Andrean plays in a much tougher conference and were much more physical.  I still like BG, don’t get me wrong, but this was not an upset.  The Rensselaer game will be epic.

Yeah I picked Andrean over Boone Grove in the bracket challenge. Some games I struggled with trying to decide a winner but this wasn't one of them. Therefore, not an upset in my mind.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Warren05 said:

Most people would say the #1 undefeated 6A team in the state losing to anyone would be an upset. Ohio state losing to Michogan this year would be an upset. LSU beating Alabama next week would be an upset. 

When 1 team is favored and they lose to the underdog I would call that an upset. When LC Beat WC back in 2012 I think, it was in the first round they called that an upset. 

Merrivile beating Jeff last night was an upset. 

It happens to everyone. Sucks when it happens to your team I know. 

I have to agree with @Staxawax #1 the first meeting between Avon and Brownsburg was 7-3.#2 the game was at Brownsburg #3 it’s a huge rivalry game and in rivalry games anything can happen #4 these 2 teams are so familiar with each other. It didn’t surprise me that Brownsburg beat Avon I thought it would be a toss up game.

i also wasn’t surprised that Merrillville beat Lafayette Jeff. I thought that would be a toss up game too.

i was extremely surprised that Homestead struggled with Niblesville. It was more surprising that Westfield beat Fishers as bad as they did. I was surprised with Carroll over Snider.

i also was not shocked by Franklin central beating Columbus North.

14 hours ago, Gipper said:

I saw both of these teams this year. Andrean was clearly better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the class 1A tournament, Northfield's upset over Southwood was a huge shocker to me. Northfield started their season 0-4 against good competition, including a 20-6 loss to Southwood in week 4. However, since then they had rattled off 6 straight victories in impressive fashion and beat the 10-0 Knights by a score of 14-6 on Friday night. Big time upset there. I was looking forward to seeing the outcome of the sectional championship between Adams Central vs. Southwood.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

In the class 1A tournament, Northfield's upset over Southwood was a huge shocker to me. Northfield started their season 0-4 against good competition, including a 20-6 loss to Southwood in week 4. However, since then they had rattled off 6 straight victories in impressive fashion and beat the 10-0 Knights by a score of 14-6 on Friday night. Big time upset there. I was looking forward to seeing the outcome of the sectional championship between Adams Central vs. Southwood.

I agree!  That score was an eye-brow-raiser!  I didn't think Northfield looked that great against Triton last week.  The 2-8 Trojans had the ball inside the Norse red zone four times.  But Northfield's D stiffened and they ended up winning 21-8.  So good job by the Norse to come back with a great game against Southwood!

11 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

I agree!  That score was an eye-brow-raiser!  I didn't think Northfield looked that great against Triton last week.  The 2-8 Trojans had the ball inside the Norse red zone four times.  But Northfield's D stiffened and they ended up winning 21-8.  So good job by the Norse to come back with a great game against Southwood!

They have me concerned for this Friday. I just hope it's not a 2015 regional game deja vu. The Jets didn't look as sharp as I personally had hoped Friday against North Miami. They will have to play much better to win this Friday. Last years Norse team gave a talented Jet team all they could handle in round one. If that happens again, the Norse may come away with the upset.