Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blocked FG

Bcaster

Question

I need a refresher on blocked FG’s. Can they ever be advanced by either team in HS football. Does it make any difference if the kick crosses the LOS or not? Whether it hits the ground before being touched or possessed? Crosses the goal line?

Just one of those very rare Football events where you think you know the rules until it happens & you realize you’re probably going more on assumptions than facts. 
Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Bcaster said:

I need a refresher on blocked FG’s. Can they ever be advanced by either team in HS football. Does it make any difference if the kick crosses the LOS or not? Whether it hits the ground before being touched or possessed? Crosses the goal line?

Just one of those very rare Football events where you think you know the rules until it happens & you realize you’re probably going more on assumptions than facts. 
Thanks in advance!

They same as a punt except you can score points.
If the kick crosses the goal line it’s dead. 
k can recover behind the line of scrimmage and advance it but they must reach the line to gain the touching by r behind the NZ during the kick is ignored (as in first touching)

if the ball crosses the NZ and is recovered by K it’s dead at that spot. 
if R muffs it beyond the NZ k can recover but not advance but it will be a first down for K

• Thanks 1

The only one I'll add is R touches it beyond the expanded neutral zone and the ball ends up behind the neutral zone again, K can advance and will have a 1st down after the play as long as they have team possession after the play. They have the option to kick it again (yes, 2 kicks during the same play is legal but I don't see them doing that on an attempted FG), run it, or pass it! If they throw an incomplete pass it will be 1st and 10 at the previous spot. That's a very popular quiz question and rules discussion, but I've never seen it actually happen. You would almost definitely have linemen downfield if it's a punt because they would have released to cover the punt. If that happened it would be a 5-yard previous spot penalty and replay 4th down