Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wide Open 6A

5 hours ago, Staxawax said:

This is a bunch of  crap mis-information.  Zionsville is 6A because of enrollment.  And, they will only get bigger.  They are in 6A to stay.

Due to Elkhart consolidating into one HS, Zionsville will be bumped down into 5A North, and Elkhart HS gets moved up to 6A for 2020. 

Zionsville will be in Sectional 12 with Harrison (WL), Kokomo, and McCutcheon. 

But for the next enrollment cycle in 2021, I definitely foresee Zionsville staying in 6A for good. 

32 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Zionsville is the town right next to Carmel. More and more families have moved to the burbs, ZVille is one of the nicest places to live in America.  They have plenty of space to grow, so there ya have it!

I was born and lived 4 years near 116th and Keystone. Would've gone to Carmel, so I've seen that growth and on the Southside around Center Grove, but I have never understood the growth moreso on the Westside than the East. In general, I guess the west is more affluent? 

33 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Due to Elkhart consolidating into one HS, Zionsville will be bumped down into 5A North, and Elkhart HS gets moved up to 6A for 2020. 

Zionsville will be in Sectional 12 with Harrison (WL), Kokomo, and McCutcheon. 

But for the next enrollment cycle in 2021, I definitely foresee Zionsville staying in 6A for good. 

Validation.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I was born and lived 4 years near 116th and Keystone. Would've gone to Carmel, so I've seen that growth and on the Southside around Center Grove, but I have never understood the growth moreso on the Westside than the East. In general, I guess the west is more affluent? 

Not so much. Carmel is so big that there are a lot of developments on Carmel's west side that are no more affluent than what you can find in Westfield, Fishers, or Noblesville. Zionsville is unique to Indiana. It's the quintessential "village" suburb that has become very popular as more affordable housing is going up out towards 65 and north/northwest of the village. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Not so much. Carmel is so big that there are a lot of developments on Carmel's west side that are no more affluent than what you can find in Westfield, Fishers, or Noblesville. Zionsville is unique to Indiana. It's the quintessential "village" suburb that has become very popular as more affordable housing is going up out towards 65 and north/northwest of the village. 

I have also always wondered if the airport's location plays a factor in the west side developing faster than the east suburbs.

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I'm just amazed by the growth. 3A in 2000 essentially 6A now. 

12 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I think its more than just being next to Carmel.  Different county.  Whitestown has been one of the fastest growing areas in Indiana for years.  Convenient off I-65....and at this point attend Zionsville schools, which are excellent.  I can see that changing in the future with additional high school(s).

https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/40525606/whitestown-tops-indianas-fastest-growing-communities

That's true. And I didn't realize there are still neighborhoods west of 65 in the area near Trader Point Christian that are Zionsville schoold district. I figured they would be Lebanon or Western Boone.

5 hours ago, Temptation said:

Validation.

"when they bump back down to 5A, they will be among the favorites annually before eventually moving back up to 6A due to increasing enrollment"

Ha! You know you didn't do research with the post.  Perhaps the IHSAA had already decided to move Z'ville down for one year, but their enrollment will immediately move them back up to 6A at the next cycle.  They will not be "among the favorites annually" in 5A.

1 minute ago, Staxawax said:

"when they bump back down to 5A, they will be among the favorites annually before eventually moving back up to 6A due to increasing enrollment"

Ha! You know you didn't do research with the post.  Perhaps the IHSAA had already decided to move Z'ville down for one year, but their enrollment will immediately move them back up to 6A at the next cycle.  They will not be "among the favorites annually" in 5A.

Tomatoes, tomatos. Can't we all just get along? 

23 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

That is an easy way out.  BD has a massive football program.  A significant number of players continue playing after high school.  So I have to guess you are thinking of other programs outside of Wayne Township.

1) Does BD lose a number of really good players to jobs?  If not BD, do you feel that is pretty common to the point programs are significantly impacted?  I'm not disagreeing...would be good to share specific examples.

2) Clinics and camps....this one I can see...although I have personally seen a number of BD players visible at camps over the years.  Especially those on the recruiting trail.  I don't disagree with Grover that camps are questionable about how much skill is developed when compared to their own program development.  (what value do they really bring other than to be seen by folks at the next level)

3) BD has had outstanding coaches over the years...I mean outstanding...and most of the head coaches remained around for awhile.  I can see where other smaller programs/budgets might have difficulty in retaining coaches.  I can also see this in rural areas or any program that is not considered elite.

4) Won't disagree about impact of stable families and food to eat.  (including quality food)  How much does quality nutrition play vs. God given talent, hard work, etc.??  That's an interesting question.  Obviously all are desired.

5) BD has incredible facilities....so again, I have to assume you are referencing schools outside of Wayne Township.

If you wish to pile on and add little value in this case, that's your call.  But to say Grover is out of touch is flat out wrong.  His involvement with football has taken him all over this state and beyond.  And not just to certain areas.  Your comment felt like a stereotype.

1) I don't have the stats, but I do know that this community has a large number of students who must work to support the family. Some students are being raised by grandparent/s or a disabled single parent. It's a bigger factor than you know. Another problem is reliable transportation. It's about a half mile walk or so to the nearest bus line, and those buses run at weird times. They are done running late at night on the Westside. Our students are, in general, relying on others to transport them to and from school.

2) They cost money. Many of our families don't have that money to go around. Fundraising is important.

3) True. You go from Bob Wilbur to Dick Dullaghan to Tom Allen to Mike Kirschner to Jason Simmons, that's a pretty good run. I would say that it's getting harder to retain assistant coaches for obvious reasons...don't want to get political, but there's a teacher shortage for a reason. 

4) See #1. I remember one of our coaches a few years back describing that they had a player living out of his car. 

5) We do have a great stadium, and the district does a great job with the facilities, but it's hard for some of our families to come up with the necessary funds for practice packs and transportation fees, etc. Fundraising is necessary here adding another layer to the coach job description.

I apologize to @Grover for my flippant comment. It was not reflective of how I try to conduct myself on this board. I apologize.