Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sideline Management and Control

Bobref

Question

As we move through the playoffs, fans (and coaches) are likely to see an increased emphasis by officials on sideline control. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. The deeper we get into the playoffs, the better the officiating crews. And one of the hallmarks of the better crews is that they pay attention to details.
  2. Big Brother is watching, and by that, I mean the IHSAA. Sideline management and control is a HUGE point of emphasis with them. As an observer, I have strict instructions to downgrade crews who don’t keep their sidelines clean.

So, perhaps a review of the applicable rules is in order. Let’s start with some definitions.

The Team Box is an area that runs from 25 yd. line to 25 yd. line, and is a minimum of 2 yds. from the sideline. It extends as far back as there is room. All nonplayers, i.e., team members not in the game, trainers, statisticians, coaches, auxiliary game personnel, and any others affiliated with the team are supposed to stay in there.

The Coaches’ Area is a belt that runs from 25 yd. line to 25 yd. line, and begins at the sideline and extends at least 2 yds., to the front edge of the team box. A maximum of 3 coaches are allowed in the Coaches’ Area when the ball is dead. No one else is allowed in the Coaches Area (except for officials). No ball boys, chain crew members, stats keepers, etc. They all have to be at least 2 yds off the sideline at all times.

The Restricted Area is the same as the Coaches’ Area, except that the ball is alive. Absolutely no one except officials are allowed in the Restricted Area. No coaches, ball boys, chain crew members, anyone. Absolutely verboten. There is supposed to be a broken white line all the way around the field 2 yds. from the sideline (outside the team boxes), a continuation of the Restricted Area, which is off limits to everyone except the officials.

Now that we’ve got terms defined, here are the rules that are implicated:

1. A nonplayer shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or to return as a replaced player. So, if a player in uniform ventures outside the team box, or a coach, or anyone else affiliated with the team, the sideline warning procedure is invoked. On the first violation, there will be a flag, but there is no distance penalty. The second violation earns a 5 yd. penalty. Third and subsequent violations are a 15 yd. penalty.

2. No one can be in the restricted area when the ball is alive, except the officials. Violation starts the sideline warning procedure described above.

3. if anyone is in the restricted area while the ball is alive, and makes unintentional contact with an official, that is a 15 yd. illegal personal contact foul. If it happens a second time, it’s another 15 yds. and disqualification of the head coach.

4. Finally, no nonplayer, Coach, attendant, etc., is allowed on the field except during a charged or officials timeout, or the intermission between periods or after a score. Violation is a 15 yd. penalty.

What about the very common practice of a coach coming a few steps onto the field to give the next play to his QB? By rule, it’s a foul. Now, most crews will let this go if it’s very brief, only a couple of steps, and the coach promptly retreats to the Coaches’ Area. But it’s important to realize the coach does this at the sufferance of the officials. It’s not an entitlement. And it shouldn’t be abused. 1 coach, a few steps, in order to communicate with a player, and very brief.

Those are the sideline management and control rules. Unfortunately, they are too often honored only in the breach. This leads to a fair degree of inconsistency from crew to crew, which then leads to hard feelings from coaches when someone actually enforces the rules correctly. But that is likely to change as we advance further toward Thanksgiving weekend.

6 answers to this question

How do you handle people in the team box that are not affiliated with either team?  We got a sideline warning earlier this year when a cameraperson for one of our well known Indy media entities was in the stripe during a play.  Now, we may have very well deserved a warning at some point, but it wasn't on that play. 😇  

Anyone had this come up before?  If so how did you address it, and how would a HC best address it with the crew?

21 minutes ago, US31 said:

How do you handle people in the team box that are not affiliated with either team?  We got a sideline warning earlier this year when a cameraperson for one of our well known Indy media entities was in the stripe during a play.  Now, we may have very well deserved a warning at some point, but it wasn't on that play. 😇  

Anyone had this come up before?  If so how did you address it, and how would a HC best address it with the crew?

Go to game management and get them involved.

I once was working at Jimtown - a place every official loves to work - and there was a guy from a local newspaper who insisted on standing right up next to the sideline. I had my linesman move him back. So he just went over to the other sideline and did the same thing. The line judge moved him, but the next play he was right back. So, I went over there and explained that this was a safety thing, and he had to stay behind the restraining line. His response: “I’m just doing my job. Why don’t you go back and do yours?” You can probably guess what happened next. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Go to game management and get them involved.

I once was working at Jimtown - a place every official loves to work - and there was a guy from a local newspaper who insisted on standing right up next to the sideline. I had my linesman move him back. So he just went over to the other sideline and did the same thing. The line judge moved him, but the next play he was right back. So, I went over there and explained that this was a safety thing, and he had to stay behind the restraining line. His response: “I’m just doing my job. Why don’t you go back and do yours?” You can probably guess what happened next. 

He got to start working on his story early and hopefully finished well before the deadline?

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 2:47 PM, Bobref said:

As we move through the playoffs, fans (and coaches) are likely to see an increased emphasis by officials on sideline control. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. The deeper we get into the playoffs, the better the officiating crews. And one of the hallmarks of the better crews is that they pay attention to details.
  2. Big Brother is watching, and by that, I mean the IHSAA. Sideline management and control is a HUGE point of emphasis with them. As an observer, I have strict instructions to downgrade crews who don’t keep their sidelines clean.

So, perhaps a review of the applicable rules is in order. Let’s start with some definitions.

The Team Box is an area that runs from 25 yd. line to 25 yd. line, and is a minimum of 2 yds. from the sideline. It extends as far back as there is room. All nonplayers, i.e., team members not in the game, trainers, statisticians, coaches, auxiliary game personnel, and any others affiliated with the team are supposed to stay in there.

The Coaches’ Area is a belt that runs from 25 yd. line to 25 yd. line, and begins at the sideline and extends at least 2 yds., to the front edge of the team box. A maximum of 3 coaches are allowed in the Coaches’ Area when the ball is dead. No one else is allowed in the Coaches Area (except for officials). No ball boys, chain crew members, stats keepers, etc. They all have to be at least 2 yds off the sideline at all times.

The Restricted Area is the same as the Coaches’ Area, except that the ball is alive. Absolutely no one except officials are allowed in the Restricted Area. No coaches, ball boys, chain crew members, anyone. Absolutely verboten. There is supposed to be a broken white line all the way around the field 2 yds. from the sideline (outside the team boxes), a continuation of the Restricted Area, which is off limits to everyone except the officials.

Now that we’ve got terms defined, here are the rules that are implicated:

1. A nonplayer shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or to return as a replaced player. So, if a player in uniform ventures outside the team box, or a coach, or anyone else affiliated with the team, the sideline warning procedure is invoked. On the first violation, there will be a flag, but there is no distance penalty. The second violation earns a 5 yd. penalty. Third and subsequent violations are a 15 yd. penalty.

2. No one can be in the restricted area when the ball is alive, except the officials. Violation starts the sideline warning procedure described above.

3. if anyone is in the restricted area while the ball is alive, and makes unintentional contact with an official, that is a 15 yd. illegal personal contact foul. If it happens a second time, it’s another 15 yds. and disqualification of the head coach.

4. Finally, no nonplayer, Coach, attendant, etc., is allowed on the field except during a charged or officials timeout, or the intermission between periods or after a score. Violation is a 15 yd. penalty.

What about the very common practice of a coach coming a few steps onto the field to give the next play to his QB? By rule, it’s a foul. Now, most crews will let this go if it’s very brief, only a couple of steps, and the coach promptly retreats to the Coaches’ Area. But it’s important to realize the coach does this at the sufferance of the officials. It’s not an entitlement. And it shouldn’t be abused. 1 coach, a few steps, in order to communicate with a player, and very brief.

Those are the sideline management and control rules. Unfortunately, they are too often honored only in the breach. This leads to a fair degree of inconsistency from crew to crew, which then leads to hard feelings from coaches when someone actually enforces the rules correctly. But that is likely to change as we advance further toward Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks for the info Bob. 

I think what most coaches need to realize is just cause it was tolerated by one crew one week- doesn’t mean it’s that way the next Friday. Like with many things in life- different crews have different personalities and it’s just the way it is. 

What really has bothered me is when different side-judges on the SAME CREW have a different interpretation of the rules! A couple times this year I’ve had a side judge be pretty strict with his sideline- no problem- that is his right. But then I look over and see the opposing coach darn near to the numbers on multiple occasions- and when I point it out that I just want a fair shake of the rules it’s just a “I’ll tell him” response- but ya know how that goes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jets said:

What really has bothered me is when different side-judges on the SAME CREW have a different interpretation of the rules! A couple times this year I’ve had a side judge be pretty strict with his sideline- no problem- that is his right. But then I look over and see the opposing coach darn near to the numbers on multiple occasions- and when I point it out that I just want a fair shake of the rules it’s just a “I’ll tell him” response- but ya know how that goes. 

I can certainly understand how this type of inconsistency would be very frustrating to coaches. It should never happen. This is a sign of an ineffective (or inattentive) crew chief.