Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Most Intriguing Sectional Final

11 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I think he can and already has honestly. Last year the Tigers held the lead over Penn at halftime last year 7-3 and battled the entire game before losing 16-7. I just hope we don't see a let down like earlier in the season heading into the Plymouth game. IMO - heads were swelled and egos boosted after the win at Michigan City, only for the Tigers to come out flat in the 1st half against the Rockies and have to playing from behind the entire game. That's difficult to do with Bart Ball, and Warsaw just ran out of time playing catch up.

Penn's defense is very good. Warsaw may have to learn how to throw the ball. This game has a chance to be very low scoring, may be decided by whomever makes the fewest mistakes.

2 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

This will have nothing to do with Friday's outcome , but Bart Curtis is 0-8 the last 8 meetings with Penn . Knowing how to beat Penn and actually doing it Must be two different things . 

1 hour ago, gbjemler said:

2-11 career wise I believe against Penn if you scroll back through the archives from Mishawaka to now.  Absolutely knowing and doing are two different things.   I guess my point should have been that he has beaten Penn and been very competitive with them at times when Penn was rolling everybody else on their schedule.   Penn is always going to be Penn. A record like this year is reflective of the Valpo squad and the two out of state powers Homewood  F and St X. and a rolling New Prairie team.  Beating Penn is a season maker for most schools in Northern Indiana.  Your point is noted and well-taken.   Good luck to both teams.  

Just curious, how many of those 13 times has Coach Curtis had the better team on the field?  

26 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

Just curious, how many of those 13 times has Coach Curtis had the better team on the field?  

Great question    I would have to defer to the NIC folks for that answer.  Mishawaka had a few teams that were probably better based on them winning??? But sometimes that makes no sense either. 

2 hours ago, gbjemler said:

2-11 career wise I believe against Penn if you scroll back through the archives from Mishawaka to now.  Absolutely knowing and doing are two different things.   I guess my point should have been that he has beaten Penn and been very competitive with them at times when Penn was rolling everybody else on their schedule.   Penn is always going to be Penn. A record like this year is reflective of the Valpo squad and the two out of state powers Homewood  F and St X. and a rolling New Prairie team.  Beating Penn is a season maker for most schools in Northern Indiana.  Your point is noted and well-taken.   Good luck to both teams.  

Bart Curtis is 4-10 vs Penn , 4-9 at Mishawaka and 0-1 at Warsaw . 

57 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

4 times

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:16 PM, Indiansreloaded said:

Mississinewa and Marion is one to watch.  Mississinewa beat a heavily favored Delta in week 1 of the sectionals.  Mississinewa also beat a very good Pendleton Heights team in week 1 of the season and then in week 2 beat New Haven.  Mississinewa lone loss is to Eastbrook in which Mississinewa played without their top player who was out with a high ankle sprain.  Marion has a tougher schedule than Mississinewa.  Marion has speed where Mississinewa has size and speed.  These two teams have met at some point in the sectional and have not played each other in the regular season despite the schools being 8 miles apart.  

Another sectional final to watch is Eastern (Greentown) and Eastbrook.  Eastern is undefeated and scrimmages Mississinewa every year.  Eastbrook lost to Delta and Marion.  This game is going to have a State Championship atmosphere.  This game is going to be tough for both teams.

Was the player missing from the Miss/EB game a running back or some other skilled position?

Edited by Punttheball

9 hours ago, Punttheball said:

Was the player missing from the Miss/EB game a running back or some other skilled position?

Yes he was a pre-season All State running back and Defensive back.  His younger brother played in the game.  Also there were a couple of other players that it was their first game of the season due to various reasons.

10 hours ago, Indiansreloaded said:

Yes he was a pre-season All State running back and Defensive back.  His younger brother played in the game.  Also there were a couple of other players that it was their first game of the season due to various reasons.

Who are some players to watch in the Miss vs. Marion game?  Maxpreps seems to indicate that the Indians do a great job of spreading the ball around.  As for Marion, according to maxpreps the QB #1 seems to be the guy

11 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Who are some players to watch in the Miss vs. Marion game?  Maxpreps seems to indicate that the Indians do a great job of spreading the ball around.  As for Marion, according to maxpreps the QB #1 seems to be the guy

Take your pick.  They spread the ball around.  QB by situation and ball location.  Receiver's haven't seen a lot of action this year because of the running game and several continuous running clocks including 1 game after the first quarter.  Very high power offense.  Defensively linebacker's are solid and quick.  One linebacker has went to State in Wrestling a couple of times and has a nose for the ball.  Offensive and Defensive line have size, strength, and power.  The line ranges from 250-300+ and the backups aren't much smaller.  The weight room at Mississinewa is very, very nice and modeled after Ohio State just not as much equipment.  

Marion has a very fast team speed.  Yes, everything runs thru the QB.  The line has some size but may be quicker than but as big as Mississinewa.  Defense is very good and they are solid at linebacker.  They also have a high power offense but can be very one dimensional.  

Defensively Mississinewa has allowed at most 21 points and this only happened twice (Eastbrook which was a loss and Pendleton Heights which was for win).  Other than these two only New Haven and Blackford score more than 8 and they both scored 13.  Offensively Delta and Eastbrook were the only schools to hold Mississinewa under 17.  Delta allowed 17 and Eastbrook 14.  

Defensively Marion has allowed 12 or more points with a max of 49 in all but 5 games.  Offensively they fewest they scored was 8.  All games but this one they scored 27 or more.  In the 2 losses they allowed 49 and 35.  In the 5 games that they allowed less than 12 the opponents had a combined 9 wins.  

Overall Marion has the tougher schedule as they played a 1 game that wasn't against a 4A or larger school.  That game was against Eastbrook who was ranked 1or 2 in week 1 in 2A.  Mississinewa only played 2 4A schools during the regular season.  The rest were 3A except for Oak Hill (3A) and Madison Grant (1A).  Each schools Conference has to do with the schedule as Marion plays in the NCC and Mississinewa in the CIC.  The CIC has 3 teams playing for Sectional Championships (Mississinewa, Madison Grant, and Eastbrook).  The NCC has 2 (McCutcheon and Marion).  Marion and McCutcheon did not play each other.  

Keep in mind these schools are only about 8 miles apart.  Many of the parents from both teams work together.  Mississinewa does summer scrimmages against 5A and 6A schools.  The first time they played in 2017 it was a standing room only crowd at Mississinewa and Mississinewa won.  Last year standing room only at Mississinewa and Marion won.  This year it is at Marion and will probably be a standing room only crowd again.  Next season Marion and Mississinewa could play twice as they are supposed to play in week 2 as Mississinewa's contract is up with New Haven and Marion's AD wants Mississinewa on the schedule.  He tried to make it happen this year by trying to find New Haven a week 2 opponent but couldn't make it happen.

2 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

Make that 3 for the NCC as McCutcheon plays Harrison tomorrow.

I expect that Harrison will likely emerge from that meeting on to regionals.

• Like 1

Just a few I will be checking on because I find them "intriguing":

Bloomington South @ Castle

East Central @ Mooresville

Scecina @ Heritage Christian

North Decatur @ Milan

Rensselaer Central @ Andrean

Knox @ Calumet

No dog in any of these fights, but think these will be intriguing games.  I do have some personal ties to a few of these teams but it's mostly friends who are either fans and/or coaches.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:01 AM, Lysander said:

EC v. Mooresville will be a contrast in styles.  Personally, I think EC’s grind it out style gives them an advantage this time of year when weather can be all over the board.

Going with Memorial.  Discipline is everything this time of year and I think they have the big edge there.

I watched this game and it lived up to what I thought it would. Both teams wanted to run the ball and both defenses were playing solid. I expected a low scoring affair I was thinking a 14-7 or 21-14 type of game it ended up 17-14. I gave the nod to Mooresville because they were at home. I thought both teams fought hard. Mooresville made just enough plays in the passing game, hit a big FG, and had a great INT at the end to win the game. Both coaches should be proud of their teams they fought hard!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I watched this game and it lived up to what I thought it would. Both teams wanted to run the ball and both defenses were playing solid. I expected a low scoring affair I was thinking a 14-7 or 21-14 type of game it ended up 17-14. I gave the nod to Mooresville because they were at home. I thought both teams fought hard. Mooresville made just enough plays in the passing game, hit a big FG, and had a great INT at the end to win the game. Both coaches should be proud of their teams they fought hard!

I watched the first half after I returned home before I nodded off.  I had more than just a passing interest in this game so will likely catch the rest of it today.. EC was a team I played many games against in my youth so, I am always interested in EIAC games.  Add that one of my best friends is close to Gillin and Denton of Mooresville and I have spent some fun times with Bob.

Although the polls had EC as the favorite, I noticed last night that the Sags had this as a draw given Mooresville was at home.

I think the Mooresville/EM game is a toss-up next week.

Hard to believe there is a good chance of a Roncalli v. Mooresville or EM Semistate in a couple of weeks having seen Roncalli up close just 9 weeks ago.  

It’s not beyond possibility that Roncalli ends up playing in LOS.....which is amazing (a potential 2005 NorthWood rewrite in the making?).

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I watched the first half after I returned home before I nodded off.  I had more than just a passing interest in this game so will likely catch the rest of it today.. EC was a team I played many games against in my youth so, I am always interested in EIAC games.  Add that one of my best friends is close to Gillin and Denton of Mooresville and I have spent some fun times with Bob.

Although the polls had EC as the favorite, I noticed last night that the Sags had this as a draw given Mooresville was at home.

I think the Mooresville/EM game is a toss-up next week.

Hard to believe there is a good chance of a Roncalli v. Mooresville or EM Semistate in a couple of weeks having seen Roncalli up close just 9 weeks ago.  

It’s not beyond possibility that Roncalli ends up playing in LOS.....which is amazing (a potential 2005 NorthWood rewrite in the making?).

It's worth watching. Good game.

• Like 1