Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Has Anyone Ever??

Getting deeper into the tournament - and as the weather starts to turn- curious as to if anyone has ever “given up” their home-field advantage to play on a better surface??  I seem to remember Monrovia-Ritter Semi-State was moved a couple times to Plainfield because of the playing surface?? I also remember watching Luers slop of a field last year and remember thinking to myself “such a same a high quality game like this is limited by the conditions of the field” ...Sorry if this is an obvious topic- I just don’t recall very many examples of it happening. 

27 minutes ago, jets said:

Getting deeper into the tournament - and as the weather starts to turn- curious as to if anyone has ever “given up” their home-field advantage to play on a better surface??  I seem to remember Monrovia-Ritter Semi-State was moved a couple times to Plainfield because of the playing surface?? I also remember watching Luers slop of a field last year and remember thinking to myself “such a same a high quality game like this is limited by the conditions of the field” ...Sorry if this is an obvious topic- I just don’t recall very many examples of it happening. 

I knew that Snider has done in years past, gotten off of Spuller Field and went to Wayne Field for better conditions. Not much of a change other than north side of city vs south side of city. 

45 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Pioneer just last year 

So then what are the mechanics of this move taking place?? Do both schools have to agree or is it just the “host” team saying- “our field is crappy- let’s move it to ______” ?? What if the visiting team doesn’t want the game moved?? 

15 minutes ago, jets said:

So then what are the mechanics of this move taking place?? Do both schools have to agree or is it just the “host” team saying- “our field is crappy- let’s move it to ______” ?? What if the visiting team doesn’t want the game moved?? 

It's my understanding that both teams would have to agree to moving the game.

42 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

It's my understanding that both teams would have to agree to moving the game.

Nope.  The IHSAA has dictated it in the past.  A Broad Ripple to Pike (which is usually available after the first week of November) move is at least one example.

Edited by Lysander
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lysander said:

Nope.  The IHSAA has dictated it in the past.  A Broad Ripple to Pike (which is usually available after the first week of November) move is at least one example.

Ah, in all its glory the "Field of Champions"! Still can't believe the IHSAA didn't want the game played here (wasn't it against Gibson Southern)?

br-rip-fld.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jets said:

Bishop Dwenger Vs Lowell in 2017 was moved to Homestead.   

12 hours ago, jets said:

Is this a quiet request to move Friday's game from the Jungle in Lincoln City to the turf of Raider field if there is inclement weather???  Or are my eyes deceiving me here???? 

14 hours ago, Lysander said:

The IHSAA, for some inexplicable reason, has not appreciated the excellence of the Field of Champions (Broad Ripple) and has moved playoff games away from there some years back.

I never had a problem with the 2005 game. Went with @dawgieinthepound from Bloomington. Now that I'm of age, and have many friends in the Broad Ripple area, I would definitely do the trip differently. HH (or any team against Chatard from a Central timezone in SW Indiana) typically ends up played on Saturdays. However, the 2001 and 2003 games were at Arlington (also a fine facility) and the 2004 game at Franklin Central (all Fridays, if memory serves me correctly).

But yes Sgt. Cox does seem to have final say.

• Like 1

Just now, hhpatriot04 said:

I never had a problem with the 2005 game. Went with @dawgieinthepound from Bloomington. Now that I'm of age, and have many friends in the Broad Ripple area, I would definitely do the trip differently. HH (or any team against Chatard from a Central timezone in SW Indiana) typically ends up played on Saturdays. However, the 2001 and 2003 games were at Arlington (also a fine facility) and the 2004 game at Franklin Central (all Fridays, if memory serves me correctly).

But yes Sgt. Cox does seem to have final say.

I had a bender and forgot my wallet. Pretty sure you spotted me $10.. yes the game in 04 was at Franklin Central.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Ah, in all its glory the "Field of Champions"! Still can't believe the IHSAA didn't want the game played here (wasn't it against Gibson Southern)?

br-rip-fld.jpg

Chatard was already playing  most of the season at LN the year they played GS in Indy at LN (I think).  Given the weather that day, it wouldn’t have mattered where they played since the conditions were horrific.  They could have just as easily played in a gravel pit.

The IHSAA started moving certain playoff games away from Broad Ripple prior to ‘07 or ‘08.  That said, I think the ‘08 Semistate and ‘09 Regional were there but I think those were the last.

Again, memory fades.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lysander said:

Dictated which part? It was always my understanding that Snider had the pick of any FWCS football field given that the school on campus didn't already have a game there. Snider always chose Wayne for the field conditions and the fact that it is a duplicate of Spuller Stadium (shared by Northrop & Snider)................so it certainly felt like home. For those who don't know, FWCS put field turf at Spuller (Northrop's campus), so it's a non-issue now. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Dictated which part? 

Not sure I follow.  IHSAA just said they couldn’t play at their traditional “home field” - which is Broad Ripple.  Often after Sectional games had already been played there. 

Not sure why.  

One of the foremost facilities in the State.  

It’s got grass (in spots), hashmarks, goalposts, working crappers, a concession stand and bleachers.  

“ Field of Champions”......

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

Chatard was already playing  most of the season at LN the year they played GS in Indy at LN (I think).  Given the weather that day, it wouldn’t have mattered where they played since the conditions were horrific.  They could have just as easily played in a gravel pit.

The IHSAA started moving certain playoff games away from Broad Ripple prior to ‘07 or ‘08.  That said, I think the ‘08 Semistate and ‘09 Regional were there but I think those were the last.

Again, memory fades.

Actually I think that game would of been better at Broad Ripple. More around it to block the wind and that turf at LN was like ice. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

Is this a quiet request to move Friday's game from the Jungle in Lincoln City to the turf of Raider field if there is inclement weather???  Or are my eyes deceiving me here???? 

I’m not saying that’s a bad idea- but no that wasn’t the purpose of this thread. I was genuinely curious as to how the process worked. And I’m still not entirely sure how it does from reading all these responses. 

I have let my feelings known -I think it’s a shame the deeper in the tournament to see a game played on adverse conditions (thinking Luers last year) when plenty of turf fields are available. Just my opinion 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lysander said:

Again, memory fades.

‘08 semi state was at the friendly confines of Enlow Field in Evansville. The last game on grass in that stadium as the EVSC installed turf the next spring.  I might have lost a toe due to frostbite that night. 

’09 was at Arsenal Tech. Not sure if that was the IHSAA’s doing or BCHS. Haven’t been back since, but I’ve heard it has been renovated and turfed since then. It was a classic stadium, IMO. 

• Like 1