Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Has Anyone Ever??

8 hours ago, Lysander said:

Chatard was already playing  most of the season at LN the year they played GS in Indy at LN (I think).  Given the weather that day, it wouldn’t have mattered where they played since the conditions were horrific.  They could have just as easily played in a gravel pit.

The IHSAA started moving certain playoff games away from Broad Ripple prior to ‘07 or ‘08.  That said, I think the ‘08 Semistate and ‘09 Regional were there but I think those were the last.

Again, memory fades.

2008 3A South Semi-State was at Enlow.  Frigid. Cold.  2009 3A South Semi-State was in Indy at the place in near downtown... Tech?  Surrounded by brick wall (like Enlow).

Edited by tango
  • Like 2

2008 Enlow was the coldest I have ever been......EVER......anytime....anywhere.  I, quite seriously, just have not been able to tolerate cold weather as much ever since.

I did enjoy making buddies and hanging out with a couple of guys from Reitz and Mater Dei who where attending.  They gave me some extra hand and foot warmers as well.

2009 was, in fact, at Tech on a Saturday.  Nice weather but same result as Enlow.  I know lots of folks love Tech but I just have never felt the love for it personally.  2009 didn’t help me like it any better, either.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lysander said:

2008 Enlow was the coldest I have ever been......EVER......anytime....anywhere.  I, quite seriously, just have not been able to tolerate cold weather as much ever since.

I was in jeans and sweatshirt, but was also heating footballs with a construction heater on the sideline., but it was damn cold just 5 feet away though..

• Like 1

Pike is probably the best option as a fan. Actually, Franklin Central if you are coming from the south, but is no way a "home field" for Chatard, which I think they should have at the semistate level...whether it's Arlington or Broad Ripple. SW Indiana is driving three hours, we really don't care. To that point, Chatard by statistical chance, has hosted far more semistates than it has traveled for. Call it luck. 

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Wet...ice and cold.  Temperature changes at the exact worse times.  God likes p&ps more.

They pray harder. I've heard, but it's only an unconfirmed rumor, that the prayers are in Latin. By God, such speech could never be allowed on public school grounds, let alone a team pregame communion. And they say it was grape juice, not wine on public school grounds!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Wet...ice and cold.  Temperature changes at the exact worse times.  God likes p&ps more.

Honest to God, I was there pregame for about 30 minutes.  I was walking up to the ticket booth with the money in hand, toes still not thawed out from 2008 Enlow, no kids playing anymore......and I kept thinking “Why in the Hell are you doing this when the game is live in your own toasty warm home just 10 minutes away?”

At that point, I did an about face, walked to my car, called Papa John’s and picked up a pizza that I ate in my kitchen while watching the game.

Felt a little guilty but when I bail out on anything involving cold weather (which I often do these days) I blame it on the injuries acquired on the Enlow Polar Expedition of ‘08.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Honest to God, I was there pregame for about 30 minutes.  I was walking up to the ticket booth with the money in hand, toes still not thawed out from 2008 Enlow, no kids playing anymore......and I kept thinking “Why in the Hell are you doing this when the game is live in your own toasty warm home just 10 minutes away?”

At that point, I did an about face, walked to my car, called Papa John’s and picked up a pizza that I ate in my kitchen while watching the game.

Felt a little guilty but when I bail out on anything involving cold weather (which I often do these days) I blame it on the injuries acquired on the Enlow Polar Expedition of ‘08.

I make use of technology as much as the next guy. But there is no substitute for the atmosphere at a big high school game.

Been raining cats/dogs here in SW Indiana for the past 24 hours - too bad sectional championship match-ups have the possibility of being hampered by adverse field conditions- especially when adequate fields are readily available 😕 

50 minutes ago, jets said:

Been raining cats/dogs here in SW Indiana for the past 24 hours - too bad sectional championship match-ups have the possibility of being hampered by adverse field conditions- especially when adequate fields are readily available 😕 

I would think that with all the post season success of the Raiders that they would be used to playing in adverse conditions. 🤷‍♂️

Yep, 1982 semi-state at Hagerstown, go ahead touchdown run was simply a dive play meant to avoid the huge puddle that hadn't frozen yet. Then we lost 14-7 to Oak Hill in the state championship game. Game played in a muddy downpour, fumbled 7 times.

2002 Sectional championship and Regional both at our very own mud pit. Just couldn't escape the rain that year. Field was almost completely beige from all the diamond dry. At least the Dome was dry and warm that year.

2006 Semi-state at North Putnam was "Enlow" cold and muddy. Dome was nice and dry.

2007 Semi-state at our place was a beautiful afternoon, sun was in coaches eyes all day. We have switched sidelines. Didn't make it to Dome.

2017 OMG! Arsenal Tech field was under a foot of water. Some drain was not working. we had that and the stupid lightening delay.  Lucas Oil was REALLY NICE!

2018 Semi-state at Western Boone. First of all you can't get there from here. Secondly nice day but again slippery surface provided little traction and down we went.

Just my opinion, but Semi-states should be played at neutral field. WITH TURF!

1 hour ago, jets said:

Come on man!  I've seen you reference "adverse field conditions" and moving to a different site a couple of times this week.  I know you guys have that nice, clean turf and everything but is a little mud no longer allowed for hs football?  

8 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Come on man!  I've seen you reference "adverse field conditions" and moving to a different site a couple of times this week.  I know you guys have that nice, clean turf and everything but is a little mud no longer allowed for hs football?  

Just of my opinion that a CHAMPIONSHIP game shouldn't be played where footing/turf are questionable when adequate resources are available elsewhere...and no that doesn't just include at SR.  It's just too bad. Yes we play an outdoor game so elements are part of it. I just personally don't like what I watched at Luers last year...it doesn't seem right to me. Most around the State have went the field turf route or at least sought out suitable replacements for playing and don't have to worry about it - some still do. To each their own. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

Hampered????  Is  that to mean that the Raiders washing machines don't work and therefore jerseys won't get cleaned, or maybe wet grass is some sort of a trigger for an allergic reaction.  Let's be real, of all natural fields in the area, the jungle is top form, hell there has only been four games played on it this year (varsity) So I am quite certain, although as uncomfortable as your Raiders may be, THE FIELD WILL BE FINE!!

If only North Spencer could afford the luxory of field turf... So silly. 

Regardless of where this game is played, I believe the Raiders' air attack will be in full force. If they are able to get a two score lead, then they'll fall back on the Wing T. 

Special teams are likely to be the difference if field conditions force conservative play calling. 

On 11/5/2019 at 6:57 AM, FastpacedO said:

Ah, in all its glory the "Field of Champions"! Still can't believe the IHSAA didn't want the game played here (wasn't it against Gibson Southern)?

br-rip-fld.jpg

Dietrich Memorial Field...grew up around that place. My pops was a VP at Ripple from '79-'97.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

Ok so first foremost, the better team win last night at the SR vs HH game.  But that field was bad.  Jets was right about something here......

Very astute point!!! Thank you!!! Our poor quarterback slipped three or four times when he would have scored TDs!!  It also slowed our LBs from making more tackles for a loss!!! Dang field almost cost the Patriots. Next time we’ll definitely consider the move to your turf. 

Guys I’m not getting into this/that. HH won and proved they were the better team by beating us twice. The purpose of this thread was to ask genuinely about field playing conditions and people’s opinions about playing Championship type games in less than ideal field conditions. And yes- the field last night was less than ideal- was disappointed in the condition of Patriot field but it is what it is. I just personally don’t feel like like a Championship game should be played on a field that has less than ideal footing. That is all. Best of luck to the Patriots moving forward. Got a good team there in Spencer County. 

On 11/5/2019 at 10:48 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

I never had a problem with the 2005 game. Went with @dawgieinthepound from Bloomington. Now that I'm of age, and have many friends in the Broad Ripple area, I would definitely do the trip differently. HH (or any team against Chatard from a Central timezone in SW Indiana) typically ends up played on Saturdays. However, the 2001 and 2003 games were at Arlington (also a fine facility) and the 2004 game at Franklin Central (all Fridays, if memory serves me correctly).

But yes Sgt. Cox does seem to have final say.

I'm pretty sure all of our Semi State games were on Saturday as was the 97 regional vs Chatard and all the regionals vs Batesville.