Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Watchmen on HBO

Muda69

This new series is really staring to gel after it's third episode, highly recommend.    While it helps to have read the seminal graphic novel  by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons, & John Higgins  it is not required, although you will miss out on a number of callbacks and easter eggs, as well as the motivations/backstories of characters from the noel that are starting to make appearances in the TV show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I for some reason cannot get into things from Marvel, DC comics, etc. 

Not judging the popularity of said shows such as Avengers series, Joker, etc etc

So trying to get a read on Watchman background.   

Gotcha.  It isn't based on any of the popular comic book characters from DC or Marvel like Batman, Superman,  Spiderman, Iron Man, etc..   But it is based on a comic maxiseries (later put into a graphic novel format) published by DC back in 1986-87.   Here is a snippet from the Wikipedia entry:  

Watchmen depicts an alternate history where superheroes emerged in the 1940s and 1960s and their presence changed history so that the United States won the Vietnam War and the Watergate break-in was never exposed. In 1985, the country is edging toward World War III with the Soviet Union, freelance costumed vigilantes have been outlawed and most former superheroes are in retirement or working for the government. The story focuses on the personal development and moral struggles of the protagonists as an investigation into the murder of a government-sponsored superhero pulls them out of retirement.

Now the HBO series is set in the present day, some 30 years after the events depicted in the graphic novel.   While the HBO series follows a different story line and the major protagonists are new characters protagonists from the graphic novel do make appearances in the HBO series.  So far that has been the characters of Adrian Veidt and Laurie Juspeczyk/Blake.  There is also a group of antagonists who wear a mask based on the one worn by Rorschach, another major character from the graphic novel.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

maybe add it to the rotation after Succession and Chernobyl 

A decent plan.  Both of those are excellent watches as well.  Also I would recommend The Righteous Gemstones if you haven't watched it already.

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

A decent plan.  Both of those are excellent watches as well.  Also I would recommend The Righteous Gemstones if you haven't watched it already.

Tried watching it a few weeks back, YES, loved the 1st part of episode 1, but football got in the way again, but it is for sure on my watch list 

• 4 weeks later...

Tried to watch this but dropped out after 2 episodes.  Thought it was just me until a I saw the Rotten Tomatoes audience rating was under 50% (at that time) versus a 90%+ critic rating.  

BTW, it seemed to fall on that same critic/audience dichotomy as “Ad Astra”.....which I detested (along with most all audiences) but the critics loved.  Not to change the subject, but “Ad Astra” was one of those films I had looked forward to forever, wanted to love but ABSOLUTELY couldn’t stand.....it was “Prometheus” bad.