On 2/5/2019 at 1:07 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Kicks off this weekend:  

Indiana Kids I saw on rosters:

Reese Horn

Chase Dutra 

Nick Temple

Andrew McDonald 

Gelen Robinson 

I also noticed that Akeem Hunt and Trent Richardson are on rosters.

I'm just happy to have football to watch whether it is AAF or XFL in 2020. Used to have AFL but that's a shell of its former self. College hockey is only Friday and Saturday nights for the most part. College wrestling Sunday afternoon if it's a matchup I'm interested in. Only so much regular season college basketball, NBA, and NHL I can tolerate. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GB4 said:

I thought this was an interesting thing the AAF was doing.

https://aaf.com/notable-rule-differences-for-the-alliances-inaugural

GB 

The defensive rule about rushing is interesting. I had not seen that one yet. A key will be in the definition. It says a defender can't rush from more than 2 yards outside the widest offensive lineman. By rule there should be at least 7 offensive linemen on most plays. A receiver wide on the line is a lineman just like the player (commonly referred to as a guard) lined up next to the snapper (commonly referred to as the center). Does that mean someone could rush from 2 yards outside of him? Or more likely inside of him but more than 2 yards wider than the nearest lineman (commonly referred to as the tackle)? Or maybe they just consider the 5 interior linemen (not including the ends)? What about an end lineman aligned directly next to the tackle (commonly referred to as a  tight end)? Does the 2 yards start with the tackle or tight end? If it's the TE, what if that player steps out 2-3 yards in either a 2-point or 3-point stance. Does that change anything?

I'm sure the rules get much more specific in defining those things than this article. It will definitely be interesting to see.

I used prefaced several of my comments with "commonly referred to" because those positions are not listed in the rule book. A player starts as either a lineman or a back. The linemen are are either ends (2) or interior linemen (usually 5). The ends are often WR or TEs, but that's irrelevant to the rule book. The snapper is the only interior lineman further designated and obviously refers to the person who snaps the ball. The QB also isn't mentioned. He's just the back who receives the snap. If the throws a legal forward pass he then becomes a passer. Until then he's just a runner. Officials obviously use the commonly known positions when communicating with coaches and players, but when it comes to rule knowledge, it's critical to know those definitions because they are referenced as such throughout the rule book and have very distinct meanings.

More former Indiana high school players and players with former Indiana connections.

Kitt O'Brien plays for the Birmingham Iron.

Austin Appleby and Akeem Hunt play for the Orlando Apollo. Former Notre Dame punter Ben Turk does as well.

Eddy Wilson and Greer Martini play for the Salt Lake Stallions.

The San Antonio Commanders have heavy Indiana ties. Andrew McDonald, Austin Larkin, Danny Ezechukwu, Chase Dutra, and Scott Daly have all played college ball in our great state.

Gelen Robinson plays for the San Diego Fleet.

Nyles Morgan plays for the Arizona Hotshots.

Tarean Folston plays for the Atlanta Legends.

3 minutes ago, cw13 said:

Anyone watching the San Diego vs. San Antonio game? Thoughts?

I watched a bit. Please disregard my op in this thread. I misread it for Sunday’s. 

Didn’t watch enough to give an opinion. 

This is just football overkill.

In the period of contraction, why are we seeing more leagues

All this league does is delay the onset of real life for these athletes, most or all who have already been thoroughly evaluated and passed over for their shot at the NFL

The season is long enough already  Its time for baseball  

The Alliance League will be wrapping it up before baseball gets started. I'm sure most of these athletes have been experiencing "real life" for awhile now as they obviously have not been playing pro ball. Maybe some of them are just happy playing. Sure the dream of the NFL is always there but again, this league allows them the chance to get better. The whole world isn't under contraction as you continually speak. Sounds from the t.v. stations nearly 3 million people watched the games and other streamlined.  Fun to continue to watch football for those who love the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

250,000 reasons to keep playing......

That's exactly why I love this new league. 250K over three years isn't going to make anyone rich. HOWEVER, it will put bread on the table and the season is only 10 weeks plus the playoffs, which allows the option for a second job, education, or ample family time.

What I also love about this league is that they are specifically a minor league of sorts. They're not trying to go head to head with the NFL.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

This.  This is huge.  If they had tried to go up against the NFL they wouldn't have even gotten off the ground...

Add to this that each AAF team has NFL affiliate teams, much like NBA G/D-League does. It's great for the sport and keeps veterans active for longer. I'm predicting that we will see more feel good comeback stories in the NFL due to the AAF's impact.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, DT said:

This is just football overkill.

In the period of contraction, why are we seeing more leagues

All this league does is delay the onset of real life for these athletes, most or all who have already been thoroughly evaluated and passed over for their shot at the NFL

The season is long enough already  Its time for baseball  

Kurt Warner should've just kept working as a bag boy, right?

30 minutes ago, AG said:

Add to this that each AAF team has NFL affiliate teams, much like NBA G/D-League does. It's great for the sport and keeps veterans active for longer. I'm predicting that we will see more feel good comeback stories in the NFL due to the AAF's impact.

I asked this on another thread, but I've read about some of the affiliates for other teams, but who is the Colts' affiliate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I asked this on another thread, but I've read about some of the affiliates for other teams, but who is the Colts' affiliate?

A quick Google search didn't yield any results. 

With eight AAF teams and eight NFL divisions, it makes sense to designate a team as an affiliate for each division.