Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40 Championship

Also noticed Harrell has predicted a 28 - 24 Mater Dei win.  I am thinking that is a typo since it is the exact score he predicted Linton would win by last week over Mater Dei.  The Sags show Mater Dei is about 14 points higher than North Knox.  Take off the home field points for the Warriors and that would end up about a 12 point difference for a prediction.  I'd say that is a closer prediction than 4 points.  But hey, they still have to play the game, right?

Edited by itiswhatitis

Massey likes MD over NK 32-7.

Not sure how playing at the Reitz Bowl affected the Miners (it seems that it did somewhat given their slow start), but I feel home field advantage could be a bigger factor in this particular game. Warrior Field is a unique stadium...it’s an elevated field with nothing but open farm ground surrounding you. It’s gonna be cold as it is already...with nothing to block any potential wind.In mid September (when Lincoln has played them) it’s fine...I’d hate to play there in November. 

This is the biggest game in Bicknell in a long time...If the Warriors can keep the emotions in check and avoid mistakes early, I’ll give them a punchers chance.

Of course, I’ll be rooting for the Warriors!

Edited by SEAL_63

I've talked about the North Knox defense over the course of the season and how I believe it is the most improved area of their team.  However, I'm not so sure they can sustain the effort for four quarters against Mater Dei.  Being at home will be an advantage for the Warriors and they are going to need every advantage they can get (no turnovers and low penalties).  The LCC defense in 2015 was one of the best I have ever seen.  I would have to say that Mater Dei's might be a close second.  21 - 7 maybe for the final?  No offense to the Warriors, but if the score is that close, (IMO) they will have played a good game.

Edited by itiswhatitis

I definitely think playing at Warrior Field will be a key factor for NK.  I'm not going to blame the 'big city' atmosphere of Evansville or the Reitz Bowl in the slightest for the bad start or the loss.  No question though that had Linton been in the friendly confines of Roy WIlliams in their own locker room coming from their homes after school with no 2 hour bus ride...and hopefully what would have been a huge turnout of Miner fans...as well as folks from surrounding schools no longer player who may or may not back Linton LOL.   This scenario is precisely what the Warriors hope to have this week.  And I am absolutely sure that all the surrounding communities will be in full black n red support as NK hasn't been in a sectional finale but once in 25 years... so there will be  ton of excitement. 

Can NK take that energy early on and make it work in  their favor?  That is a key in this game for me. the very start.  I don't for one second think MDei will be phased by the environment.  They play in big environments all year. A big rowdy anti-Wildcat scene won't change how they perform.. it will have to be the Warriors.. I think they will be very up for the game...and if they can harness that energy to make some big plays happen for them, I feel they could get some momentum and try to sustain that for 4 quarters.  I do think MD's gonna have to help out by having a couple blunders.  They gave us one... on a snap skipping to the punter that gave us the short field for once...and we scored a couple plays later.  NK's front Dline  will be physically big as a whole.. and have to get penetration...but at the same time be disciplined to not run themselves out of the play.  MD brings a slot guy in motion long distance to either fake to and hand to McGrew..who will either head opposite, or start that way only to curl back behind the motion.  In our game the QB Happe would pull out the ball last minute and go opposite the flow and picked up big gains.   THey also ran several screens and swing passes taking advantage of the D's pursuit of Happe, and the LB's reading run and slow getting out to cover McGrew.  And Happe is a good scrambler and making plays on the run.  Then there is the 4 wide receivers you have to be sure you cover...including 6'5 Money and 5'10 Kassenbrock.   You better have LB's who can cover a pass situation.   

Now hopefully NK can move the ball against MD.  Because if it's a flurry of 3 and outs without much success... obviously things won't end well in Warrior land.  Then you gotta try things you aren't so comfortable with... but with Doades, and Noland, along with Boyles... they've shown they can mix in the pass to make some plays.  If MD can be allowed to put 9 in the box without concern of giving up a big pass play....again.. long nght.  But just maybe that OLine can out physical MD and get 3 or 4 yards a play..and keep moving the chains..thus moving the clock... but they got to end those drives with points....  

I'd love to be there... I'll be listening on Tom Lee....

2 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

MD brings a slot guy in motion long distance to either fake to and hand to McGrew..who will either head opposite, or start that way only to curl back behind the motion.  In our game the QB Happe would pull out the ball last minute and go opposite the flow and picked up big gains.  

Not trying to criticize, but is that really that uncommon for your opponents?  That three play sequence (Fly sweep - Fake sweep/RB Counter - Fake Sweep/Fake RB/ QB Keep) is the bread and butter of a spread offense team.  Just about every team in the SIAC runs some version of that, and usually with a track sprinter in the sweep action.  I think North, Mater Dei, and Central all have state track finalists playing football.

It's the modern version of the Dive, Qb, Pitch man of the triple option - although there isn't the triple read of the option.

I've noticed different offensive schemes seem to cluster in pockets, so I was just wondering if the spread-fly sweep isn't as common up 41.

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Not trying to criticize, but is that really that uncommon for your opponents?  That three play sequence (Fly sweep - Fake sweep/RB Counter - Fake Sweep/Fake RB/ QB Keep) is the bread and butter of a spread offense team.  Just about every team in the SIAC runs some version of that, and usually with a track sprinter in the sweep action.  I think North, Mater Dei, and Central all have state track finalists playing football.

It's the modern version of the Dive, Qb, Pitch man of the triple option - although there isn't the triple read of the option.

I've noticed different offensive schemes seem to cluster in pockets, so I was just wondering if the spread-fly sweep isn't as common up 41.

I'm sure you are right. Linton ran this offense for a couple three years at one point as I recall.   I suppose it is the basic element of spread offenses... I was just giving those not familiar to offensive schemes a more descriptive run down on what we saw.  Lannert was very quick for sure....  and they caught our backside DE and LB's busting in many times on those Happe keepers.. looked like that was well scouted and that Happe was looking for it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Care to venture a guess of your own then?  Easy to scoff at others predictions, a bit more difficult to come up with your own.  I'l put my money where my keyboard is, MD 35-14

I'm only venturing a guess here, but I think with the position he's in, asking a question like that would kinda be like turning him into a Pete Rose.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lp3coda said:

I'm only venturing a guess here, but I think with the position he's in, asking a question like that would kinda be like turning him into a Pete Rose.  

Only if I asked him to lay down a wager.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldgrayphart said:

I'm not worried about the game... Does the concession stand have any must have food?  Any surprises?

I'm always in the booth by the time any of the grilling is done... but I know they got a big ol' tent with some good smelling vittles that blow with that wind into my nose in pregame!