Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Football playoff ranking top ten

itiswhatitis

Here is the first football ranking for the college championship playoffs. I only listed the top 10.  Pretty much everyone else outside of it, won't make it. 

1.  Ohio State

2.  LSU

3.  Alabama

4.  Penn State

5.  Clemson

6.  Georgia

7.  Oregon

8.  Utah

9.  Oklahoma

10.  Florida

I find it interesting that the top 4 are from only two conferences and those teams will play each other this weekend and next.   So over the next 2 weeks, 2 of those teams will drop out of the top 4 (or should).  A bit surprised to see the Buckeyes at #1 and not an SEC team.   Are ESPN's children being slighted?  LOL

Edited by itiswhatitis

Only disagreements I have are with Penn State and Georgia.  Penn State hasn't really beaten anyone of substance (everyone claims Michigan is average) and UGA loses AT HOME to a 3-5 team and has beaten what many are calling an overrated ND team at home and Florida (with their backup QB) at a neutral site.  Oklahoma, playing in a soft Big 12, loses one game on the road at a KSU team that is now ranked and drops all the way to 9?  Clemson being punished for a "close win" is also kind of funny.  They too, have not really beaten anyone but they are the defending champs which deserves mention until they actually lose.

The Pac 12 has no prayer despite what the pundits may try to tell you.  Oregon losing to Auburn (who is a fringe top 4/5 team in the SEC) in week 1 sealed their fate.

This weekend's LSU/Bama game will decide nothing unless it is lopsided.  The loser will run the table and get a free pass whereas the winner will take on UGA in the SEC title game (which is actually a punishment for the SEC West winner).  OSU will expose PSU and eliminate them.  Clemson will roll.

I know crazy things tend to happen in November, but I'd be shocked if it were not Ohio State, Bama, LSU and Clemson.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Only disagreements I have are with Penn State and Georgia.  Penn State hasn't really beaten anyone of substance (everyone claims Michigan is average) and UGA loses AT HOME to a 3-5 team and has beaten what many are calling an overrated ND team at home and Florida (with their backup QB) at a neutral site.  Oklahoma, playing in a soft Big 12, loses one game on the road at a KSU team that is now ranked and drops all the way to 9?  Clemson being punished for a "close win" is also kind of funny.  They too, have not really beaten anyone but they are the defending champs which deserves mention until they actually lose.

The Pac 12 has no prayer despite what the pundits may try to tell you.  Oregon losing to Auburn (who is a fringe top 4/5 team in the SEC) in week 1 sealed their fate.

This weekend's LSU/Bama game will decide nothing unless it is lopsided.  The loser will run the table and get a free pass whereas the winner will take on UGA in the SEC title game (which is actually a punishment for the SEC West winner).  OSU will expose PSU and eliminate them.  Clemson will roll.

I know crazy things tend to happen in November, but I'd be shocked if it were not Ohio State, Bama, LSU and Clemson.

Very true.  There are several scenarios that could play out.  The article I read that accompanied the playoff rankings said that Bama has to win out to stay in the top four.  It cited Bama's weak SOS as to why.  If they lose to LSU this weekend, they won't be in the national playoff.  LSU still might if they lose, but not Bama.  Clemson is ranked 5th due to it's weak schedule as well.  LSU has beaten 3 teams ranked in the top 12 and Ohio State has beaten 3 in the top 20.  So apparently the committee is looking harder at SOS this year than in years past.  Both Bama and Clemson have SOS's in the 60's while Ohio State and LSU's are in the 30's.  The thing with Penn State is this:  they play Minnesota this weekend and then Ohio State next weekend.  Lose either one of those and they are out.  I'm curious to see how well Minnesota does against the Lions.  Are they just pretenders or will they make it a game?  If Ohio State and Penn State are both undefeated next week, that will be the game of the week.  Some "experts"  wanted to call LSU/Bama, the "Game of the Century", but they were counting on LSU and Bama being #1 and #2 in not only the polls but also in the playoff rankings.  Oops.  LOL

I too think there are a couple of head scratchers. Penn State is the most vulnerable of the top 4 in my opinion. I see Clemson moving into that spot soon. Penn State needs to beat Ohio State to have any chance of hanging around. I am interested to see how it plays out. I don’t feel like Penn State has blown anyone out, including some below average teams. Clemson’s schedule could bite them as well. If I heard this right, they are guaranteed to play a team in the ACC Championship that has 3 losses. I agree too that it is likely that both Bama and LSU end up in the playoff, unless it is a blowout. The only thing that bothers me though is that it is likely, one team will have to beat the other twice to win a title, while the other team only has to win one time. As far as Oklahoma goes, I said it in another topic. They are in the exact same spot that Ohio State was last year. While the loss was on the road, and while it was a one score game, KState STILL put up 48 points. You are out of the conversation when that happens. 

I will add that there are some possible great matchups to keep me interested on New Year’s Day....depending on the size of the headache of course. 😇

20 hours ago, Irishman said:

I too think there are a couple of head scratchers. Penn State is the most vulnerable of the top 4 in my opinion. I see Clemson moving into that spot soon. Penn State needs to beat Ohio State to have any chance of hanging around. I am interested to see how it plays out. I don’t feel like Penn State has blown anyone out, including some below average teams. Clemson’s schedule could bite them as well. If I heard this right, they are guaranteed to play a team in the ACC Championship that has 3 losses. I agree too that it is likely that both Bama and LSU end up in the playoff, unless it is a blowout. The only thing that bothers me though is that it is likely, one team will have to beat the other twice to win a title, while the other team only has to win one time. As far as Oklahoma goes, I said it in another topic. They are in the exact same spot that Ohio State was last year. While the loss was on the road, and while it was a one score game, KState STILL put up 48 points. You are out of the conversation when that happens. 

I will add that there are some possible great matchups to keep me interested on New Year’s Day....depending on the size of the headache of course. 😇

I can agree that Penn State is the weakest team in the top four.  Clemson doesn't have to worry.  They will still slip in the top four after the next 2 weeks.  There are some good matchups even before New Year's Day.  LSU/Bama and Penn State/Minnesota are on tap this weekend.  Heck I'll even toss in Baylor/TCU.  Would like to see if Baylor is for real.  Your comments are pretty much spot on about Oklahoma.  I didn't really think Penn State was a "head scratcher" as much as it was the committee hedging their bets.  If Penn State loses to Minnesota this weekend, they will drop out and Clemson will slip in.  So no big deal about Penn State being in the top four.  If Penn State beats Minnesota, then the Penn State/Ohio State game next weekend will be all that more meaningful.  That would mean the second weekend in a row would have a game with 2 of the top four teams playing.  IF Penn State beats Ohio State, I would imagine the Buckeyes will drop to 5th and Clemson would still get the fourth spot.  Then you have to add in the SEC and B1G title games.  That might be a final deciding factor who is in the top four.  It's going to be an exciting finish to the end of the season, that's for sure!  And I can't recall the last time I had a New Year's Day hangover.  LOL

• Like 1

I wonder what the top ten will look like this week?  LSU knocked off Bama and Ohio State was a whopping 43 point favorite over Maryland but covered the point spread by 16!  I suppose they will move LSU to #1 since they won on the road.  Oh and a by the way moment, Penn State lost to Minnesota.  They will probably be replaced by Clemson or Alabama.  As was stated in an earlier post, Penn State was the weakest of last week's top 4 and it showed yesterday.  Will Minnesota make a a big jump?  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It’s all set up for Bama to drop to 5 and then cruise in when UGA loses to LSU in Atlanta and then we get a month long build up to the “rematch”...

So predictable.  UGA lost to a putrid team but has two good wins and will be ranked #4 Tuesday.

Oregon, Utah and Oklahoma are screwed.

59 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I wonder what the top ten will look like this week?  LSU knocked off Bama and Ohio State was a whopping 43 point favorite over Maryland but covered the point spread by 16!  I suppose they will move LSU to #1 since they won on the road.  Oh and a by the way moment, Penn State lost to Minnesota.  They will probably be replaced by Clemson or Alabama.  As was stated in an earlier post, Penn State was the weakest of last week's top 4 and it showed yesterday.  Will Minnesota make a a big jump?  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

1.  LSU

2.  Ohio State

3.  Clemson

4.  Georgia

5.  Alabama

6.  Oregon

7.  Utah

8.  Oklahoma

9.  Minnesota 

10. Penn State

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Honestly if Oregon wins out...they should make it in over any hope georgia makes it in.  

last I checked they had 3 projected all American OL and obviously Herbert. Lotta talent 

Won’t happen as their loss to Auburn (who will finish 5th in the SEC) will be magnified whereas Georgia gets a free pass despite losing to SOUTH CAROLINA at HOME.

Minnesota just became a dark horse in all of this.  They are soon to become the next media "darlings".  It's very possible they could be undefeated and arrive in the B1G championship game that way.  It would be good for the B1G to have both Minnesota and Ohio State undefeated.  Might have to attend that game.  Fleck is becoming a hot commodity in the coaching ranks.

Edited by itiswhatitis

40 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Minnesota just became a dark horse in all of this.  They are soon to become the next media "darlings".  It's very possible they could be undefeated and arrive in the B1G championship game that way.  It would be good for the B1G to have both Minnesota and Ohio State undefeated.  Might have to attend that game.  Fleck is becoming a hot commodity in the coaching ranks.

There is a reason they are +2 at Iowa this weekend.  Paper tigers.  Have not faced anyone of substance away from home.  Hawkeyes are tough in Iowa City and will beat them.

So its now obvious the SEC is getting two teams in unless Auburn beats Alabama.

Scenario 1:  Bama beats Auburn in the Iron Bowl, LSU beats Georgia in the SEC title game.  Bama slides back in at #4.

Scenario 2:  Georgia beats LSU in the SEC title game and jumps to #3 and LSU falls to #4.

46 minutes ago, Temptation said:

So its now obvious the SEC is getting two teams in unless Auburn beats Alabama.

Scenario 1:  Bama beats Auburn in the Iron Bowl, LSU beats Georgia in the SEC title game.  Bama slides back in at #4.

Scenario 2:  Georgia beats LSU in the SEC title game and jumps to #3 and LSU falls to #4.

It's the SEC.  What can you do?  The media slobbers all over them.  They are the greatest because ESPN says so. 

7 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

It's the SEC.  What can you do?  The media slobbers all over them.  They are the greatest because ESPN says so. 

Sorta like a high school conference I know here in the Hoosier state...

Don't you dare question THEM.

39 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Sorta like a high school conference I know here in the Hoosier state...

Don't you dare question THEM.

It's a sick joke.  Every year now it seems like the SEC gets 1/2 to 3/4 of the conference ranked in the early season polls.  "Look at us everybody.  We have to play ranked teams every week in our conference!.   See how superior we are to the rest of you?"  And ESPN sells that crap to anyone who listens.  Bama lost to the Buckeyes in 2014.  Bama lost to Clemson last year.  They aren't invincible and Saban didn't invent football.  I keep hoping some NFL team will come along and sweep him out of college football.  Okay rant is over.  LOL

On 11/13/2019 at 10:11 AM, itiswhatitis said:

It's a sick joke.  Every year now it seems like the SEC gets 1/2 to 3/4 of the conference ranked in the early season polls.  "Look at us everybody.  We have to play ranked teams every week in our conference!.   See how superior we are to the rest of you?"  And ESPN sells that crap to anyone who listens.  Bama lost to the Buckeyes in 2014.  Bama lost to Clemson last year.  They aren't invincible and Saban didn't invent football.  I keep hoping some NFL team will come along and sweep him out of college football.  Okay rant is over.  LOL

Sporting News must like the SEC as well. Saban is dubbed as the best coach of all time and Knute Rockne doesn't even crack the Top 10. Am I wrong to think that there are at least 10 current coaches who could have the same success at Alabama? Alabama has the history, making it easy to recruit. They don't have a high academic standard. And they are in a hotbed of high school football talent. 

15 hours ago, BTF said:

Sporting News must like the SEC as well. Saban is dubbed as the best coach of all time and Knute Rockne doesn't even crack the Top 10. Am I wrong to think that there are at least 10 current coaches who could have the same success at Alabama? Alabama has the history, making it easy to recruit. They don't have a high academic standard. And they are in a hotbed of high school football talent. 

How good was Bama before Saban got there? 

I’d say there are 2-3 other coaches who could dominate there in college football today, but don’t forget how bad of shape that program was in when Saban took over. Only 47 wins from 2000-2006. 

28 minutes ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

How good was Bama before Saban got there? 

I’d say there are 2-3 other coaches who could dominate there in college football today, but don’t forget how bad of shape that program was in when Saban took over. Only 47 wins from 2000-2006. 

That's a fair answer regarding Saban. Knute Rockne not being on the list was the biggest head scratcher to me. 

9 hours ago, Gipper said:

Stick a fork in Bama, they’re done.  Unless Oklahoma has a major comeback, Baylor could find their way in.  Florida State will hire their coach, Urban will be at....Fox Sports 1 or USC.

You have got to feel for Tua. A hip dislocation is not just a season-ender. It’s potentially a career-ender. Even if the imaging does not show a fracture, the concern is that the dislocation compromises the blood supply to the head of the femur. If that happens, the articular cartilage dies and you have a condition called “avascular necrosis.” That’s what ended Bo Jackson’s career. This will absolutely affect his draft status.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gipper said:

Stick a fork in Bama, they’re done.  Unless Oklahoma has a major comeback, Baylor could find their way in.  Florida State will hire their coach, Urban will be at....Fox Sports 1 or USC.

Newsflash Gipper:  Oklahoma DID have that big comeback and beat Baylor and Minnesota loses to Iowa.  I'd have to say (unfortunately) Bama is still in, but barely.

• Like 1