Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana's poorest county might lose its only football team — and its hope

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/11/07/indiana-high-school-football-crawford-county-wolfpack-team-fights-survival/4096141002/

MARENGO — The Crawford County football team gathers on the sideline. Fifteen kids are dressed in uniform. 

On the other sideline is Evansville Mater Dei. They brought half the team for the Oct. 25 matchup: 70 kids.

Seventy.

Compared with Crawford County's 15. 

Have to say it, a prime candidate for contraction.  For the good of the community, and the safety and well being of the children.  When you have an AD saying you have to field a football team primarily for financial reasons then something is out of whack, and needs to change.

Mod edit: Please do not post entire articles from newspapers. You may post links, but you are violating copyright laws by posting entire articles. 

• Disdain 3

22 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/11/07/indiana-high-school-football-crawford-county-wolfpack-team-fights-survival/4096141002/

Have to say it, a prime candidate for contraction.  For the good of the community, and the safety and well being of the children.  When you have an AD saying you have to field a football team primarily for financial reasons then something is out of whack, and needs to change.

I've always understood your position on contraction and ECAs at public schools but don't you think there are larger ramifications for all the students than just the 15 football players?  You wouldn't just be shuttering the football team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ajames4 said:

I've always understood your position on contraction and ECAs at public schools but don't you think there are larger ramifications for all the students than just the 15 football players?  You wouldn't just be shuttering the football team.

Exactly.

• Disdain 1

I encourage folks to read the entire article

I tried to embed the 17 minute video from the article on here unsuccessfully.    

I hope the powers to be are able to find a way to keep the Wolfpack program alive.   

Its easy to say just shut it down, but you may have a different view if you take the time and watch that video on top of the page of the article 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

On a scale ranging from spaghetti noodle to granite counter top, how hard were you when you posted this article? Please be honest Sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16
  • Disdain 3

30 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I encourage folks to read the entire article

I tried to embed the 17 minute video from the article on here unsuccessfully.    

I hope the powers to be are able to find a way to keep the Wolfpack program alive.   

Its easy to say just shut it down, but you may have a different view if you take the time and watch that video on top of the page of the article 

That video is something that all players, coaches, fans, communities, etc. should watch regardless of program origin.  There's much more going on than what the game tape or the scoreboard shows.  Sometimes need these kinds of things to remind us to stop and take a breath and to be grateful for whatever program we have.  I kept listening to the kids in that video and, despite everything going on that they deal with ... whether its classes, jobs, mistakes, family situations, etc. I just kept hearing hope, positivity, and character.  If you haven't watched the video, like @Coach Nowlin said, I'd highly encourage you to spend the 17 minutes to watch it.  I won't lie, it is emotional in many directions ... but well worth the watch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

What does that mean? What are trollish comments?

Case in point:

On a scale ranging from spaghetti noodle to granite counter top, how hard were you when you posted this article? Please be honest Sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 3

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Of course you didn't.

Re-reading the question it seems like our forum troll is asking if I had some kind of sexual reaction to creating this thread?  If that is indeed the question then the answer is no, and only goes to cement my position that Mr. Jahari is nothing but a troll by posting such banal question.

• Like 2
  • Disdain 3

I don't know how a person could stand in front of those players and tell them they are no longer allowed to play football because they aren't good enough. That them not playing will make high school football in Indiana more competitive. Then tell the other sports programs that their funding will be cut because the football program is being shutdown. Then tell the cheerleaders, band members and fans (which I was actually surprised that there were so many) to find something else to do on Friday nights. Just a few more schools to tell this to and then maybe we can get down to that magic number to make Indiana high school football competitive!

Edited by vicvinegar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Re-reading the question it seems like our forum troll is asking if I had some kind of sexual reaction to creating this thread?  If that is indeed the question then the answer is no, and only goes to cement my position that Mr. Jahari is nothing but a troll by posting such banal question.

Why are you calling me a troll? What does that even mean? I don't live under a bridge.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

8 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

I don't know how a person could stand in front of those players and tell them they are no longer allowed to play football because they aren't good enough. That them not playing will make high school football in Indiana more competitive. Then tell the other sports programs that their funding will be cut because the football program is being shutdown. Then tell the cheerleaders, band members and fans (which I was actually surprised that there were so many) to find something else to do on Friday nights. Just a few more schools to tell this to and then maybe we can get down to that magic number to make Indiana high school football competitive!

Why can't these other extra-curricular sports programs increase their fund-raising efforts?  Why do they have to continually leech off of the profits of the football and basketball programs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 2

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Why can't these other extra-curricular sports programs increase their fund-raising efforts?  Why do they have to continually leech off of the profits of the football and basketball programs?

How do you propose the golf or cross country teams profit from the meets?  Since football and basketball programs are generally the only ones to generate a profit should they be the only ECAs allowed to exist?  The hell with band, robotics, chess, dance, math, knowledge bowl, etc?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Because IMHO you are one, at least on this forum.

Here, educate yourself:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing that information. So judging by the information you shared, you are a troll and this post is an attempt at trolling. Well done forum troll!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 2

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

You’ve been out of the loop for a loooong time haven’t you?

Small schools with multiple sports programs are fundraising from the same small community year round from the same sources ALL. YEAR.

Most people can only afford so much.

• Like 4