Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana's poorest county might lose its only football team — and its hope

Surprising that CC is a 2A program (34th biggest enrollment in 2A, so not even near the bottom) but unable to get more kids to play.

But as they say, success breeds success. Only 16 wins in 13 seasons certainly doesn't attract kids to join the program.

2 hours ago, ajames4 said:

How do you propose the golf or cross country teams profit from the meets?  Since football and basketball programs are generally the only ones to generate a profit should they be the only ECAs allowed to exist?  The hell with band, robotics, chess, dance, math, knowledge bowl, etc?

Why shouldn't extra-curricular activities be expected to support themselves on their own merits?  There are more ways raise funds than "profit from the meets".

1 hour ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing that information. So judging by the information you shared, you are a troll and this post is an attempt at trolling. Well done forum troll!

You are welcome, my young Padawan.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 2

35 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Surprising that CC is a 2A program (34th biggest enrollment in 2A, so not even near the bottom) but unable to get more kids to play.

But as they say, success breeds success. Only 16 wins in 13 seasons certainly doesn't attract kids to join the program.

I understand your point, however I am not sure it has so much to do with success as it does survival.  Remember we are talking about the poorest county in the state, where undoubtedly many students have to work to help pay the bills or to buy the goods they want (i.e. a car, clothes, cell phone, etc.).  

I knew a student at my former school who never played a sport because he had to help pay the bills.  It is unfortunate, but these families do exist and it affects more than just the sport teams.  Student grades and college/trade school opportunities are hurt because a student doesn't have the "basic" skills.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, slice60 said:

That's part of the issue but not by any means THE ISSUE. The story really doesn't get into other sports but the boys could barely field a cross country team, the band can barely field a Band or whatever. The boys basketball went to the state finals in 2017 and the next year had only 16 kids come out. And so on and so on.

• Thanks 1

Very good points by Coach K & JQWL. 

When you learn about football programs with numbers so low they cannot field a team, I tend to think of the smallest of the small schools. This isn't the case for Crawford Co & you both pointed out several reasons why it's happening at CC & elsewhere too.

7 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Some students in county schools don't have the transportation to get back and forth from practice. The bus ride is the only way to get from point a to point b.  This could contribute to students opting out of participating.

Pay for an activity bus.

I'm not going to watch a sappy video that is designed to convince bleeding hearts that the lives of these kids will be destroyed if their football is taken away from them

Contraction is a key and vital tool that is needed to help maintain competitive balance

Crawford County football meets all the contraction criteria.   The program should be eliminated

8 hours ago, DT said:

I'm not going to watch a sappy video that is designed to convince bleeding hearts that the lives of these kids will be destroyed if their football is taken away from them

Contraction is a key and vital tool that is needed to help maintain competitive balance

Crawford County football meets all the contraction criteria.   The program should be eliminated

I would expect no less from you than this heartless comment. I'm blessed to have never been in the situation that these kids or their parents have been in, and I'm sure you have been too. That doesn't mean everyone has been that fortunate. It does not matter if contraction is a key and vital tool needed to maintain competitive balance. Competitive balance has nothing to do with this situation. No the kids lives will not be destroyed, but playing sports is a good distraction from their daily life. It keeps them off the streets and busy doing something. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, DT said:

The IHSAA does not list maintaining competitive balance as one of their purposes. Who besides yourself is concerned with this issue?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sr1 said:

The IHSAA does not list maintaining competitive balance as one of their purposes. Who besides yourself is concerned with this issue?

Agreed! I don't see competitive balance mentioned anywhere in their purpose either. Actually I see this "The purpose of the IHSAA is to encourage and direct wholesome amateur athletics in the high schools of Indiana". Contraction is not encouragement.

• Like 1

No matter what level of football a player competes at, you play to win the game. But most importantly you prepare and practice to be a winner. For most kids football is a very small window of their lives. The impact it can have on the ability to endure and overcome obstacles is immense. I enjoy other sports, but I will never be convinced there is a better sport than football to encompass all things that life can throw at you. #GoWolfpack

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sr1 said:

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Agreed! I don't see competitive balance mentioned anywhere in their purpose either. Actually I see this "The purpose of the IHSAA is to encourage and direct wholesome amateur athletics in the high schools of Indiana". Contraction is not encouragement.

ALL OF THIS TIMES INFINITY 

26 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So 96-0 (never forget!) is "wholesome" amateur athletics?  A 20+ game losing streak with no end in sight is "wholesome" amateur athletics?

South Park Beat A Dead Horse GIF

22 hours ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

You’ve been out of the loop for a loooong time haven’t you?

Small schools with multiple sports programs are fundraising from the same small community year round from the same sources ALL. YEAR.

Most people can only afford so much.

I'll post this again since you want to talk about evading questions.

Edited by Hoosier Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Disdain 1

38 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So 96-0 (never forget!) is "wholesome" amateur athletics?  A 20+ game losing streak with no end in sight is "wholesome" amateur athletics?

Except Crawford County did get a win. Regardless of the outcome of their games. Being at practice through the week, at a game on a Friday night, etc is a lot better than running the streets, or worse case scenario a player developing an addiction to any number of drugs.

image.png.02bb3da833d80d0737193d1285888deb.png

Crawford County like Pike Central has a whole host of socioeconomic problems. Additionally, Crawford has zero football tradition and other fall sports like CC are regularly state final participants. Many schools in SW Indiana have strong athletic programs like Bare-Reeve and Loogootee and NE Dubois. Cooping makes a lot of sense in that part of the state.

• Like 1