Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Illinois high school football participation hits 26-year low as other sports grow in popularity. Competitive video gaming could soon join them.

7 minutes ago, XStar said:

Wow that was really surprising.  A gamer trying to justify his behavior to himself.  Called that one from a mile away.  

Sorry you hate those who enjoy activities that you don't.   You are the one with the preconceived notion that everyone who enjoys playing video games has "spent years in their mother's basement".   I guess you also enjoy being blind to the truth.

Also tell me, is a professional arm wrestler an athlete?

3 hours ago, XStar said:

I don't consider driving a car an athletic activity.  Would driving a 400 mile race at speeds reaching 200+ mph be physically taxing?  Sure.  Giving birth is physically taxing too.  I don't consider it an athletic activity.  

Basketball, Football, Soccer, Tennis, Gymnastics, Weightlifting, Running, Swimming, Skating/Hockey.

I always remember the TV  based “Superstars” competition they used to have on ABC in the 70s where various athletes from different sports would compete in varying events.  It had some of the most well-known sports stars of the day but was usually won by someone you never heard of (Kyle Rote, Jr., etc.).  

The first year it was won by Bob Seagram (a pole vaulter) and the  late Peter Revson (a racer) finished either 2nd or 3rd.  

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

I always remember the TV  based “Superstars” competition they used to have on ABC where various athletes from different sports would compete in varying events.  It had some of the most well-known sports stars of the day but was usually won by someone you never heard of (Kyle Rote, Jr., etc.).  

The first year it was won by Bob Seagram (a pole vaulter) and the  late Peter Revson (a racer) finished either 2nd or 3rd.  

I can remember a skier winning one or two of those competitions.  How can an activity where gravity does most of the work, like the engine in a racing car, be considered a sport?

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I can remember a skier winning one or two of those competitions.  How can an activity where gravity does most of the work, like the engine in a racing car, be considered a sport?

Beats me....just drinking early today and I thought I’d post something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Wow that was really surprising.  A gamer trying to justify his behavior to himself.  Called that one from a mile away.  

I don't understand the prejudice towards gamers? This isn't the 80's any more. I would say 90% of high school kids nowadays have played or play video games regularly. You may not agree that it is a sport, but there is no reason to bash people that play and say that this is a way for them to "justify" their behavior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Sorry you hate those who enjoy activities that you don't.   You are the one with the preconceived notion that everyone who enjoys playing video games has "spent years in their mother's basement".   I guess you also enjoy being blind to the truth.

Also tell me, is a professional arm wrestler an athlete?

You're good at trying to put words in someone's mouth.  Please show me where I said I hate anyone.  

5 minutes ago, Graphic Context said:

I don't understand the prejudice towards gamers? This isn't the 80's any more. I would say 90% of high school kids nowadays have played or play video games regularly. You may not agree that it is a sport, but there is no reason to bash people that play and say that this is a way for them to "justify" their behavior.

I was just ruffling his feathers because he is so defensive about it that it was comical.  It's a leisure activity that is relatively harmless unless you allow it to control your life.  Unfortunately I've seen that happen.  I used to work with a guy (and 30-something-year-old adult) that would stay up all night playing a game then show up for work everyday looking dead tired.  He insisted that he just didn't need as much sleep as most people but he was let go for performance and you'll never convince me that sacrificing sleep for his gaming time didn't play a huge part in that.