Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Playoffs in Illinois

It definitely can’t be isolated to travel. 8A and 7A is mainly Chicagoland teams who will play a lot of playoff games on Saturday afternoons or nights. I just checked their brackets for 6A to 8A. All but 3 games will be played Saturday mid to late afternoon. I’ve long been a proponent of Indiana switching to Saturday for Regionals and Semi-State. Weather and attendance is typically awful in these rounds. Maybe a sunny late afternoon start on a Saturday can attract a larger gate.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

According to the hardest working paper, the Chicago Sun-Times, most big schools games such as Edwardsville (southern)-Minooka (Chicago suburb)  and Normal (Central)-Chicago Phillips are on Saturday.

Discuss.

That happens alot in Ohio as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I wonder if anyone ever takes weather and game time temperatures into account when they decide to play on Saturday? It's usually warmer at noon than it is at 7:00 pm.

For football?

I sure hope not.

32 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

For football?

I sure hope not.

You have to take everything into account though. When you have a camera perched 31 feet above the ground in an endzone, the lens starts to frost over after a certain point. Now, that's not a big deal if you have a Hi-Pod X31 because you can just use the premium rain gear that it comes with to keep the camera warm. But for those teams that operate an endzone camera without premium rain gear, the later the game goes on a Friday night, the better chance of poor film quality due to frost build-up.

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

Is this an accommodation for travel times? Or is there some other reason?

https://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/StateSeriesInformationResults.aspx?url=/data/fb/playoffs.htm

The game must be played on Saturday, unless both schools agree to play the game on Friday. Friday games must not be scheduled during school hours. Saturday games must start between 1 pm and 7 pm. The schools must agree on the starting time of the game. If they cannot come to an agreement, the IHSA Office will set the starting time.

In Illinois it's a reward to play Saturday football games, because that means you qualified for the playoffs.  In Indiana.... well, you know.