Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lafayette schools monitor Nov. 19 as list grows of districts closing for 'Red for Ed' rally

Muda69

https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2019/11/07/lafayette-schools-monitor-nov-19-list-grows-districts-closing-red-ed-rally/2523126001/

School on Nov. 19 for students in Lafayette School Corp. may be in question as around 70 teachers in the Lafayette Education Association are missing school to rally for public education in Indianapolis.

They will be joining teachers from across the state, a number of which are coming from a growing list of districts that will be closed because of the number of teachers rallying.

As the fight for education continues around the state, teachers representing at least two of the three school corporations in Tippecanoe County will be missing school on that Tuesday to attend a "Red for Ed" rally in Indianapolis. 

Around 70 teachers in the Lafayette Education Association from Lafayette School Corp. and six teachers from West Lafayette Community School Corp. will be at the Statehouse in Indianapolis to rally with other educators. Information about whether Tippecanoe School Corp. teachers would be there wasn't immediately available Thursday. 

LSC Superintendent Les Huddle said he was monitoring how many teachers from the school district would participate in the Red for Ed rally. Huddle said he plans to make a decision "about our plan for the day" early next week.

The IndyStar reported that as of Thursday at least 17 school districts — including Indianapolis Public Schools and several other of the state’s largest districts — are closing schools or holding “e-learning” days to accommodate scores of teachers set to rally on Organization Day, the ceremonial start of the 2020 legislative session. 

IPS, which announced the class cancellation Wednesday, is going so far as to call it a professional development day. A previously scheduled teacher professional development day in April will now be a regular school day with student attendance.

The district, with roughly 1,500 teachers, said it is doing so in support of its teachers and those who participate in Statehouse rally will not need to request a personal day. 

The Indiana State Teachers Association is hosting the "Red for Ed" action day and encouraged its members to take a personal day and join their colleagues pushing for higher salaries, a change in teacher evaluations and the repeal of new professional development requirements that many have seen as burdensome.

It’s a new level of activism for teachers in Indiana who, while teachers in other states have walked out, marched and gone on strike, have historically taken smaller steps.

Wow, I guess we now know where the priorities of a supposedly altruistic profession like government school teacher lie, with lining their pocketbooks instead of teaching their students.   And it's clear where the ISTA priorities lie, and it's not with the students.  It's a public sector labor union after all.  Must be nice to have a government administration that kowtows to this behavior,  in the private sector one would be reprimanded at the least,  possibly even fired.

What government educational professionals here on the GID are planning on attending this event?

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

17 minutes ago, Irishman said:

For the one who claims to ‘now SOOOOOOOO much about education, with sooooo few facts. 85783DBD-A32D-40BA-BAB6-B13039ED7747.jpeg

So says the educational professional using the word 'now' instead of 'know'.     And I have never claimed that I know SOOOOOOOO much about education.  I'm only an Indiana taxpayer who has had multiple children attend government schools and has dealt with dozens of government school administrators and teachers over 20+ years.  So my perspective comes from that experience.  

What is so 'dangerous' about my perspective Irishman?  That I see the ISTA/NEA for what they really are?  One could make the argument that if your precious public sector union really gave a rats ass about the education of children they would sponsor their "action day" on a weekend,  not on a school day, making it now in effect a semi-walkout type of action by government school employees.  But that would not have the political impact the union is looking for now, would it?    Therefore you have the age-old dilemma of government schools being drive by politics,  with legislators one one side, government school employees on the other,  and the children in the middle.   Nice to use them as a bargaining chip, I guess.

Edited by Muda69
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Strikes are illegal in Indiana, but at some point, the law is one that really is not enforceable, depending on numbers. 

A “strike” in CCSD would probably be a massive case of blue flu, and in a district that has 1 substitute for every 4 teachers, it’s a severe problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2019/11/07/lafayette-schools-monitor-nov-19-list-grows-districts-closing-red-ed-rally/2523126001/

Wow, I guess we now know where the priorities of a supposedly altruistic profession like government school teacher lie, with lining their pocketbooks instead of teaching their students.   And it's clear where the ISTA priorities lie, and it's not with the students.  It's a public sector labor union after all.  Must be nice to have a government administration that kowtows to this behavior,  in the private sector one would be reprimanded at the least,  possibly even fired.

What government educational professionals here on the GID are planning on attending this event?

Muda-

The district (Kankakee Valley School Corporation) in which I teach will be closed that day.  I received the e-mail yesterday.  I will not be attending.

28 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Muda-

The district (Kankakee Valley School Corporation) in which I teach will be closed that day.  I received the e-mail yesterday.  I will not be attending.

Why not, Dann?  Do you not support this "Red for Ed" "action day"?   But of course Nov. 19th is during the firearm deer hunting season in Indiana.  Perhaps you will use that day to try and bag a doe or buck?

• Disdain 1

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Why not, Dann?  Do you not support this "Red for Ed" "action day"?   But of course Nov. 19th is during the firearm deer hunting season in Indiana.  Perhaps you will use that day to try and bag a doe or buck?

I was hired to teach.  With school being out, I can not do my job that I was hired to do.

If the rally was after my contracted school hours or the weekend, sure.

I do not hunt.

Hope that helps my friend.  Have a great day.  Be well.

30 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I was hired to teach.  With school being out, I can not do my job that I was hired to do.

If the rally was after my contracted school hours or the weekend, sure.

Thank you for adhering to your principals.

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

There in charge of government schools being drive by politics.

?  This sentence appears to be a fine example of your government school upbringing.  Jackson Central or Walnut Grove?

• Disdain 1

15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

?  This sentence appears to be a fine example of your government school upbringing.  Jackson Central or Walnut Grove?

It’s a fitting response to the grammar errors made by the poster child for why government schools should be abolished.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And who would that be, gonzo?

That would be the guy who keeps starting threads decrying the evils of government schools.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Therefore you have the age-old dilemma of government schools being drive by politics

Can you define "drive by politics" for us please?

45 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you for adhering to your principals.

Is this like a group hug where Coach E calls all the principals together and sticks to them?

7 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

That would be the guy who keeps starting threads decrying the evils of government schools.

And would that be me, Gonzo?  Why don't you just come out and say it, instead of being so limp-wristed about it?

8 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Can you define "drive by politics" for us please?

Thank you for catching that, Adolph.  I meant to type "driven by politics".   Do you agree or disagree that our current government education system is primarily driven by the whims of those currently in political power?

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Is this like a group hug where Coach E calls all the principals together and sticks to them?

*yawn* https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/principle

Educate yourself.  Jackson Central or Walnut Central sure didn't seem to.

• Disdain 1

Just now, Muda69 said:

Thank you for catching that, Adolph.

So I'm Adolph Jr? I believe you were the grammar nazi in this thread before I ever said anything. Do you feel it's ok to call out others on grammar mistakes, but it's not fair when someone does it to you? Don't be such a snowflake about it.

Looks like at least two more government schools districts are ignoring their educational mandates and closing due to teachers calling a de-facto one day wildcat strike on Nov. 19th:

https://www.wthitv.com/content/news/Vigo-County-Schools-call-snow-day-on-Red-for-Ed-Action-Day-564657641.html

https://www.wthitv.com/content/news/North-Central-Parke-Community-Schools-announce-closure-on-Red-for-Ed-Action-Day-564660721.html

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Looks like at least two more government schools districts are ignoring their educational mandates and closing due to teachers calling a de-facto one day wildcat strike on Nov. 19th:

https://www.wthitv.com/content/news/Vigo-County-Schools-call-snow-day-on-Red-for-Ed-Action-Day-564657641.html

https://www.wthitv.com/content/news/North-Central-Parke-Community-Schools-announce-closure-on-Red-for-Ed-Action-Day-564660721.html

Such a stupid comment. The law STILL requires 180 days for students genius. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Such a stupid comment. The law STILL requires 180 days for students genius. 

So this Wildcat Strike date is on all government schools calendars, Irishman?  What happens if we get the horrible, horrible winter as predicated and the weather eats up all the allocated 'snow make up days' that usually allocated in the spring?  A child's summer vacation has to now be shortened because some teachers want to stage a one day Wildcat Strike.  Once again the children get the shaft......................

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So this Wildcat Strike date is on all government schools calendars, Irishman?  What happens if we get the horrible, horrible winter as predicated and the weather eats up all the allocated 'snow make up days' that usually allocated in the spring?  A child's summer vacation has to now be shortened because some teachers want to stage a one day Wildcat Strike.  Once again the children get the shaft......................

All those parents who are clamoring for more home schooling now have their long awaited for chance. A day not dominated by hegemonious government schools. How about the parents take responsibility for the day instead of expecting the government to babysit their kids for them?