Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chase Young Suspended!

itiswhatitis

Buckeyes defensive star Chase Young has been suspended.  There is an ongoing investigation.  Depending on the findings, the Buckeyes could have to forfeit games that he played in.  He borrowed some money last year from someone but has paid it back.  It was a "loan".  The University and the NCAA is investigating the matter.  It won[t hurt against Maryland, but they still have Penn State and Michigan.  Stay tuned.

18 hours ago, Bobref said:

This gives him a reason to shut it down and not risk injury, in anticipation of the draft. I believe Mel Kiper has him at #1 on the Big Board.

If the investigation shows no wrong doing, why would he "shut it down"?  This isn't the same situation as Bosa was in (injury).  From what I've heard, he borrowed money from someone and paid it back.  It's not like it was a gift.  That would be a big difference, wouldn't it?  You can probably bet that Young will be one of the first 2 picks in the draft.  Someone may want Tua instead at #1.  The Bosa brothers were great, but Young is better than either one of them.  He is relentless on a football field. 

17 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

If the investigation shows no wrong doing, why would he "shut it down"?  This isn't the same situation as Bosa was in (injury).  From what I've heard, he borrowed money from someone and paid it back.  It's not like it was a gift.  That would be a big difference, wouldn't it?  You can probably bet that Young will be one of the first 2 picks in the draft.  Someone may want Tua instead at #1.  The Bosa brothers were great, but Young is better than either one of them.  He is relentless on a football field. 

That is a pretty naive viewpoint. If he got a loan that came to him from someone who is considered a “representative of the university,” i.e., a booster, it doesn’t matter if he paid it back. Being able to get a loan when you’re in college without a job is a benefit. Just saw on the ESPN ticker that OSU believes he will get a 4 game suspension. Assuming it’s retroactive to today’s game - and they’ve already announced he won’t play today - he’ll miss both Penn St. and Michigan. They get beat by Penn State and they’re out of the B1G championship game. If that knocks them out of the playoff, IMO it’s no better than 50-50 that he comes back for the bowl game. There is, regrettably, plenty of precedent.

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That is a pretty naive viewpoint. If he got a loan that came to him from someone who is considered a “representative of the university,” i.e., a booster, it doesn’t matter if he paid it back. Being able to get a loan when you’re in college without a job is a benefit. Just saw on the ESPN ticker that OSU believes he will get a 4 game suspension. Assuming it’s retroactive to today’s game - and they’ve already announced he won’t play today - he’ll miss both Penn St. and Michigan. They get beat by Penn State and they’re out of the B1G championship game. If that knocks them out of the playoff, IMO it’s no better than 50-50 that he comes back for the bowl game. There is, regrettably, plenty of precedent.

The report says it was NOT an alumni or a booster who gave the loan, so how does that make me naive?  Had it been an alumni or booster?  Duh!  You should have kept watching.  I just saw on ESPN the university is appealing the suspension and they reported it may be reduced to 2 games.  That would probably ruin your day if it gets reduced.  Are you so naive to think that Ohio State's defense is only about Young?  With or without Young they are STILL one of the best defenses in the country.  Young is the icing on the cake.

5 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

The report says it was NOT an alumni or a booster who gave the loan, so how does that make me naive?  Had it been an alumni or booster?  Duh!  You should have kept watching.  I just saw on ESPN the university is appealing the suspension and they reported it may be reduced to 2 games.  That would probably ruin your day if it gets reduced.  Are you so naive to think that Ohio State's defense is only about Young?  With or without Young they are STILL one of the best defenses in the country.  Young is the icing on the cake.

I’m fully on board with how good they are. I’ve got my Ohio State hoodie on right now. I’m a Buckeye fan and a native Ohioan. Just being realistic. I don’t know any of the circumstances, and haven’t addressed whether he should be suspended, only potential ramifications if he is, in fact, suspended. But in a game against Penn State, or at the Big House, he could be the difference. He’s that good.

You'll get no argument from me about Young's talent/abilities.  He is the best in the country.  I've seen every game he has played at OSU.  I liked Meyer's assessment about the Ohio State defense and why they would be fine without Young.  According to Meyer, every player on the starting defense will get drafted.  In his opinion they are all early to middle round picks.  That's quite an assessment. for an entire starting unit  Maybe Meyer is a bit of a homer with his comment, but when you look at it top to bottom he may not be too far off.   I feel this team is even better than the 2014 team that won the title.  There are NO weaknesses on this team anywhere unless you count the backup to Fields as a weakness.  Penn State = another year of the toothless lion.  I guess we now know that Minnesota is for real.  Well at least this weekend they are.  Undefeated Minnesota vs undefeated Ohio State in the B1G title game?  Would make for some great hype.