Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Struggled to move the ball? Against who?

They hung 600 yards on St. Xavier and moved the ball up and down the field at Elder. Center Grove wasn’t their greatest game, but most of their drives stalled due to penalties. If there’s on Achilles heel with this Cathedral team it’s penalties. They aren’t the most discipline team.

I agree with most of what you say but the biggest weakness is our kicking game.  Punting has been a chore as has getting the ball deep on kick-offs.  PAT's and FG's have not been a problem.  This is not a typical plodding Irish team.  These young men can run!

It's been many years since we played at New Pal, but I'll be out there next week, the good Lord willin'!

One further thing.  This is not only the "game of the year" it's the annual "game of the century."

Edited by PHJIrish
mispelled name

Does New Palestine have the longest win streak in the state at 26? Some other great  5a matchups Valpo-Mishawaka and Dwenger-Harrison but this is the game of the year. Can you even say there’s a favorite in this game? If Vegas had a line I literally think it would be even. I’ll go with cathedral just because of the schedule they have played, and particularly St Xavier/Elder I think will prepare them well for this. 28-24 Cathedral 

Also on top of what I said, I want a serious answer. Are these the two best teams in the state regardless of class?. Let’s hear the opinions. In my opinion I really think they are. Obviously, being in Fort Wayne, I really haven’t seen either of them play but I do think these are the top two teams in the state. I’d like to think Dwenger could play with them if they make it down there but even being biased, I don’t think they can. The 2007-2010 Dwenger teams could have I think but not this one. 

Edited by FWfootball10

8 minutes ago, FWfootball10 said:

Also on top of what I said, I want a serious answer. Are these the two best teams in the state regardless of class?. Let’s hear the opinions. In my opinion I really think they are. Obviously, being in Fort Wayne, I really haven’t seen either of them play but I do think these are the top two teams in the state. I’d like to think Dwenger could play with them if they make it down there but even being biased, I don’t think they can. The 2007-2010 Dwenger teams could have I think but not this one. 

So you think the past Dwenger teams, none of which won a state title and were twice defeated by Cathedral for the state title, are as good as this years New Pal/Cathedral teams?  

I think you are delusional.

7 hours ago, Warren05 said:

And I'll be one of them cheering my ass off. New Pal fans seem to think that just bc they had some success lately that they are the measuring stick for high school football. We may not have huge crowds at our games as of late but dont you dare look down on us. 

Here we go.  Fake outrage about “disrespect” coming in 3-2-1...

2 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

I think they are. And I agree 100% on this being a pick em game.

26 minutes ago, irishfootball1906 said:

Who did they struggle to move the ball against?  Never mind....There isnt an legit answer

Several times actually including last night.  Heck they didn't convert a 3rd down in the 1st half last night.  That doesn't preclude them from being arguably the best team in the state but to imply they've moved the ball with ease all year against everyone is inaccurate.   They do a great job of making big plays and doing what they need to do.  But by no means are they unstoppable. 

48 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Several times actually including last night.  Heck they didn't convert a 3rd down in the 1st half last night.  That doesn't preclude them from being arguably the best team in the state but to imply they've moved the ball with ease all year against everyone is inaccurate.   They do a great job of making big plays and doing what they need to do.  But by no means are they unstoppable. 

They were 0 for 3 on 3rd down conversions and 0 for 1 on 4th down conversions in the first half. The Irish had open receivers on a couple of their 3rd downs and the QB threw the ball high, but I don't think they struggled against the defense they were playing. I think it was more of the QB just being a little off on his throws. They did  have 291 yards of offense and 28 points in the first half compared to DC's 112 and 0 pts.  I don't think anyone would say that they are unstoppable either. 

This Cathedral at New Pal game will very interesting. Both Offenses can put up points and make big plays. The defenses for both teams while not talked about much are spectacular. There are skilled players for both New Pal and Cathedral. I think this game will definitely be a game that will be won in the trenches and they both are strong in that aspect. I agree it is a toss up game. If you were to ask me who the favorite would be I would say New Palestine because #1 it is at New Pal and #2 New Pal is the defending State Champions. Both teams have terrific coaching staffs, terrific defenses, and terrific offenses. Definitely should be a good one.

15 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

They were 0 for 3 on 3rd down conversions and 0 for 1 on 4th down conversions in the first half. The Irish had open receivers on a couple of their 3rd downs and the QB threw the ball high, but I don't think they struggled against the defense they were playing. I think it was more of the QB just being a little off on his throws. They did  have 291 yards of offense and 28 points in the first half compared to DC's 112 and 0 pts.  I don't think anyone would say that they are unstoppable either. 

This Cathedral at New Pal game will very interesting. Both Offenses can put up points and make big plays. The defenses for both teams while not talked about much are spectacular. There are skilled players for both New Pal and Cathedral. I think this game will definitely be a game that will be won in the trenches and they both are strong in that aspect. I agree it is a toss up game. If you were to ask me who the favorite would be I would say New Palestine because #1 it is at New Pal and #2 New Pal is the defending State Champions. Both teams have terrific coaching staffs, terrific defenses, and terrific offenses. Definitely should be a good one.

Its gonna be fun for sure.  I would give the slight edge to Cathedral because I think they have been the more consistent team all year.  While New Pal has played great when they've had to, I've seen them not look like a title team several games.

30 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Its gonna be fun for sure.  I would give the slight edge to Cathedral because I think they have been the more consistent team all year.  While New Pal has played great when they've had to, I've seen them not look like a title team several games.

Yes it will be fun. Here is my opinion of both teams offenses:

New Pal  has been very methodical offensively, they definitely have the capability of big plays for scores. New Pal is perfectly fine with methodically moving the ball down the field and wearing a team out, then when they do wear a team down they will step on the pedal and start hitting big plays. They have a RB like Spegal who is fine with being a work horse and pounding at teams or ripping off big plays. That being said Roth has been a very steady QB who can run and when they need to throw he has 2 terrific WR's in Hook and Large that not only block well down field, but they can make big plays in the passing game. The New Pal O-line is very sound, disciplined, and strong. Any New Pal fan feel free to correct anything I have wrong, it won't hurt my feelings. I am unbiased and just go by what I little I do see.

Cathedral can be methodical and have a few times, but it seems when you think they are going to do that they hit big plays catching the right moments. Offensively they can be deceptively fast because their runners will be patient but when they see open field they can turn on the jets. Their RB Hall can chew up yards in chunks with his speed, and the other RB Langdon while being comfortable pounding the ball has shown in open field he has some great speed too. At QB Edwards has had moments where he throws a little high, but he can put great touch on the ball. He can run the ball very well when he needs too and is pretty quick himself. He is very comfortable sitting in the pocket to throw or throwing on the run and has can elude pressure. At WR they have some  quick guys who can get behind the defense for some big plays. They also have a big strong O-line that plays very solid. Just like with New Pal if any Cathedral fan wants to correct me feel free it definitely will not bother me. 

Edited by FastpacedO

19 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

New Pal  has been very methodical offensively, they definitely have the capability of big plays for scores. New Pal is perfectly fine with methodically moving the ball down the field and wearing a team out, then when they do wear a team down they will step on the pedal and start hitting big plays. They have a RB like Spegal who is fine with being a work horse and pounding at teams or ripping off big plays. That being said Roth has been a very steady QB who can run and when they need to throw he has 2 terrific WR's in Hook and Large that not only block well down field, but they can make big plays in the passing game. The New Pal O-line is very sound, disciplined, and strong. Any New Pal fan feel free to correct anything I have wrong, it won't hurt my feelings. I am unbiased and just go by what I little I do see.

Cathedral can be methodical and have a few times, but it seems when you think they are going to do that they hit big plays catching the right moments. Offensively they can be deceptively fast because their runners will be patient but when they see open field they can turn on the jets. Their RB Hall can chew up yards in chunks with his speed, and the other RB Langdon while being comfortable pounding the ball has shown in open field he has some great speed too. At QB Edwards has had moments where he throws a little high, but he can put great touch on the ball. He can run the ball very well when he needs too and is pretty quick himself. He is very comfortable sitting in the pocket to throw or throwing on the run and has can elude pressure. At WR they have some  quick guys who can get behind the defense for some big plays. They also have a big strong O-line that plays very solid. Just like with New Pal if any Cathedral fan wants to correct me feel free it definitely will not bother me. 

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said.  If I'm trying to beat New Pal I'd probably play 100% man coverage on the outside,  load the box and blitz alot.  If I'm trying to beat Cathedral I'm gonna try and make them be methodical and have long drives.

52 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

You don’t mention Cathedral’s defense in your remarks, but I think you have to mention that with the offensive stars you pointed out. In my mind, run defense is our biggest strength. 300lb+ Sean Oldham at nose and David Guhl at DT are both excellent linemen. And D1 bound Shiloh Means is a Bob Sanders-esque hammer at free safety. It will definitely be won or lost in the trenches when Nee Pal has the ball. Cathedral has given up most of the points this year through the air. We’ve rarely had a RB run it down our throats. So, it will be great to see if Spegal gets it done. 

The Irish tailgate will be starting early for this one!! Let’s gooooo.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

Probably showing my age here, but the 1990 and 1991 Dwenger teams were your best teams. You were 27-1. Had 12 guys play major college football. 2 in the NFL. Chris Dittoe (IU QB),  Euell Wilson, Jason Fabini (NFL), Kevin Carretta (ND LB), Steve Martin, Chad Cagnet, etc. 

And, to stay in topic, Dwenger beat New Pal in 1990 and Cathedral in 1991 in the State Championship. The 1991 CHS team they beat was absolutely stacked. One of the better State Finals games..

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

You don’t mention Cathedral’s defense in your remarks, but I think you have to mention that with the offensive stars you pointed out. In my mind, run defense is our biggest strength. 300lb+ Sean Oldham at nose and David Guhl at DT are both excellent linemen. And D1 bound Shiloh Means is a Bob Sanders-esque hammer at free safety. It will definitely be won or lost in the trenches when Nee Pal has the ball. Cathedral has given up most of the points this year through the air. We’ve rarely had a RB run it down our throats. So, it will be great to see if Spegal gets it done. 

The Irish tailgate will be starting early for this one!! Let’s gooooo.

Yes I have not talked fully about defense. I was only speaking on both teams Offense. 

14 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

I like that it's at New Pal.   I've seen a couple Irish games and listening to tonight's it's very similar.  Lots of big plays but against good defenses they struggle a bit to move the ball.  It will be interesting to see how New Pal defends them.  And can Cathedral make the Dragons throw it and limit Spegal. Should be an instant classic. 

who struggles to move the ball? What defense has Cathedral struggled to move the ball on ?

2 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Center Grove week 9. Cathedral had two 50+ yard touchdowns, but otherwise was pretty much shut down the rest of the game

A few others as well including last night.  1st half 291 yards on 20 plays. 3 plays totaled 236 of those so 17 plays for 55 yards.  They're a big play offense.   And a very good one.