Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

6 hours ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

I do have a question for the New Pal base.  How many players do you have that play both ways?  Since you team has really only played one game that was still competitive at the start of the 4th quarter and that was in week 2, do you believe this will have any impact playing against a physical team?  I know your boys are tough, but hitting and getting hit every play for four solid quarters has to eventually wear you down.  This is the one thing I have though all season.  

Quite a few that play both ways.  We have a very physical group.  I don't see it being a big issue.   And I'm not saying we will out physical Cathedral by any stretch.  But don't look for New Pal to wear down, as I don't expect the Irish will either.  I was honestly very surprised that we wore down Center Grove in the 4th quarter.  But then again I'd hate to be a DL or LB and have to tackle Spegal for 4 quarters.  I know its cliche but I very much believe whoever controls the line of scrimmage better wins.  I expect an instant classic. 

4 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Quite a few that play both ways.  We have a very physical group.  I don't see it being a big issue.   And I'm not saying we will out physical Cathedral by any stretch.  But don't look for New Pal to wear down, as I don't expect the Irish will either.  I was honestly very surprised that we wore down Center Grove in the 4th quarter.  But then again I'd hate to be a DL or LB and have to tackle Spegal for 4 quarters.  I know its cliche but I very much believe whoever controls the line of scrimmage better wins.  I expect an instant classic. 

Has that been the ingredient to New Pal's success over the years? Playing the best athletes on both sides of the ball and hoping they are in better physical condition than their opponents? 

17 minutes ago, BTF said:

Has that been the ingredient to New Pal's success over the years? Playing the best athletes on both sides of the ball and hoping they are in better physical condition than their opponents? 

well they blow out every team so they do not play much. Easy schedule

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

A big part of it yes.  My kid was a senior on the 2014 4A title team so he saw pre Coach Ralph as well as the changes Coach Ralph implemented and the biggest difference is the off season participation in conditioning and weight room.  When at best you have 50-60 kids(including a lot of freshmen) on the sidelines on Friday night you've got to be strong  in incredible shape. It's not really an option to not have quite a few 2 way guys.  I still remember that 1st parents meeting with Coach Ralph and him saying if you buy in we will compete for state championships consistently.  I kinda thought "sounds great but we shall see, we were just 3-7". Well here we are 7 years in and Coach Ralph is 85-4 with 3 finals appearances and 2 titles and a legit shot again.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

i agree. Whoever controls the line wins. 

30 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Thanks for your insight and I agree with you, I expect this game to live up to the hype 100%.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, INHSFootball said:

well they blow out every team so they do not play much. Easy schedule

Lol, good point. But they did go four quarters against Snider, a team that has no players playing both ways, in the 2015 championship game. Surprisingly, they were more competitive in the second half than the first. Should have been the other way around. 

9 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

A big part of it yes.  My kid was a senior on the 2014 4A title team so he saw pre Coach Ralph as well as the changes Coach Ralph implemented and the biggest difference is the off season participation in conditioning and weight room.  When at best you have 50-60 kids(including a lot of freshmen) on the sidelines on Friday night you've got to be strong  in incredible shape. It's not really an option to not have quite a few 2 way guys.  I still remember that 1st parents meeting with Coach Ralph and him saying if you buy in we will compete for state championships consistently.  I kinda thought "sounds great but we shall see, we were just 3-7". Well here we are 7 years in and Coach Ralph is 85-4 with 3 finals appearances and 2 titles and a legit shot again.  

I've always been curious how a school with an enrollment of 1400 competes year in and year out with much larger schools. Makes sense now. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

Lol, good point. But they did go four quarters against Snider, a team that has no players playing both ways, in the 2015 championship game. Surprisingly, they were more competitive in the second half than the first. Should have been the other way around. 

I've always been curious how a school with an enrollment of 1400 competes year in and year out with much larger schools. Makes sense 

That 2015 title game was fun but weird, we were terrible in the 1st quarter,  Snider was terrible in the 3rd and in the end a blocked XP was the difference.  And yeah played in 5A since 2015 and haven't really missed a beat.  Consistently close to 100% attendance in off season participation.  Typically only stuff missed is cause kids are in other sports which Coach Ralph encourages. 

8 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

That 2015 title game was fun but weird, we were terrible in the 1st quarter,  Snider was terrible in the 3rd and in the end a blocked XP was the difference.  And yeah played in 5A since 2015 and haven't really missed a beat.  Consistently close to 100% attendance in off season participation.  Typically only stuff missed is cause kids are in other sports which Coach Ralph encourages. 

That's great, much respect for the New Pal program. Nothing against Cathedral, but I hope New Pal pulls this one off. Looks like a 50/50 game to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, BTF said:

That's great, much respect for the New Pal program. Nothing against Cathedral, but I hope New Pal pulls this one off. Looks like a 50/50 game to me. 

Agree, it's a coin flip game.  Only shock would be if it's a blow out either way.

8 hours ago, bigfish said:

Think I will be making the trip for this one. Any NP fans have recommendations on local restaurants/watering holes before the game?

New Pal is pretty close to Wanamaker -- the home of the New Bethel Ordinary.  Best pizza around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

New Pal kids obviously condition well all year round as they were in great shape early in the season.  Very impressive team/program.  

Difficult to judge Cathedral from the CG game as I think both teams played a very conservative game but I'm predicting New Pal 35-21.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Which has produced 2 state championships and a runner up in the last 6 years. 

you're right! Congrats to New Pal on their tremendous success! 

At the end of the day it is a new year. 

Everyone in the state wants Cathedral to get beat because who does not hate cathedral? Honestly? People hate greatness. BEST OF LUCK to both teams this friday, as this will go down as the most hyped up game this year. This game kind of reminded me in 2017 when Roncalli had all the hype behind them and went up against cathedral.

That being said New Pal is a better team then roncalli. 

I still have a lot of confidence in the Irish this week , New Pal has not seen a team with this many athletes. No doubt about that. 

prediction 

Irish 35

Dragons 21

18 minutes ago, INHSFootball said:

you're right! Congrats to New Pal on their tremendous success! 

At the end of the day it is a new year. 

Everyone in the state wants Cathedral to get beat because who does not hate cathedral? Honestly? People hate greatness. BEST OF LUCK to both teams this friday, as this will go down as the most hyped up game this year. This game kind of reminded me in 2017 when Roncalli had all the hype behind them and went up against cathedral.

That being said New Pal is a better team then roncalli. 

I still have a lot of confidence in the Irish this week , New Pal has not seen a team with this many athletes. No doubt about that. 

prediction 

Irish 35

Dragons 21

“Hasn’t seen a team with this many athletes” *New Pal played Center Grove week 2*

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Which has produced 2 state championships and a runner up in the last 6 years. 

I’m a little confused by this statement. Are you inferring that Cathedral’s scheduling is less successful? 5 out of the last 10 years have produced State Championships . In all honesty the number of players playing both ways won’t matter in this game. Football can be all about match-ups. I think this game becomes more interesting with the match-uos. Cathedral’s run defense vs New Pal’s run offense, cathedral’s pass defense vs Ne Pal’s pass offense, New Pal’s run defense vs Cathedral’s run offense, and Bew Pal’s pass defense vs Cathedral’s pass offense. 

I mean while it has been referenced Cathedral won games they probably should have lost (according to stats) yet got turnovers in defense or big plays on offense. Don’t they still create those turnovers or execute to get those big plays? Same goes for New Pal don’t they execute to methodically move down the field? Don’t they execute to make big stops?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

“Hasn’t seen a team with this many athletes” *New Pal played Center Grove week 2*

i really would not say Center Grove is an athletic football team... and if they are to you then okay... 1 game out of many they have played. Cathedral has things new pal has not seen while cathedral has seen everything New Pal has plus more. 

Do not try and argue that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I’m a little confused by this statement. Are you inferring that Cathedral’s scheduling is less successful? 5 out of the last 10 years have produced State Championships . In all honesty the number of players playing both ways won’t matter in this game. Football can be all about match-ups. I think this game becomes more interesting with the match-uos. Cathedral’s run defense vs New Pal’s run offense, cathedral’s pass defense vs Ne Pal’s pass offense, New Pal’s run defense vs Cathedral’s run offense, and Bew Pal’s pass defense vs Cathedral’s pass offense. 

I mean while it has been referenced Cathedral won games they probably should have lost (according to stats) yet got turnovers in defense or big plays on offense. Don’t they still create those turnovers or execute to get those big plays? Same goes for New Pal don’t they execute to methodically move down the field? Don’t they execute to make big stops?

My statement is that weak schedule has produced state titles. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, INHSFootball said:

i really would not say Center Grove is an athletic football team... and if they are to you then okay... 1 game out of many they have played. Cathedral has things new pal has not seen while cathedral has seen everything New Pal has plus more. 

Do not try and argue that.

I wouldn’t get silly. New Pal has athletes too. They will be well prepared. One thing cathedral has not seen this year is a string physical RB like Spegal. They have seen some very good and fast RB’s but Spegal is not like the TB’s they have seen. They will have to play their best for sure!

4 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

My statement is that weak schedule has produced state titles. 

Got it...don’t get me wrong I wasn’t saying it makes them any less. Just wanted to point out a weak schedule has produced State Titles (see Columbus East and New Pal) playing a tough schedule has also produced State Titles (see cathedral and Chatard).

i definitely get what you are referring to now. My apologies.

1 minute ago, FastpacedO said:

I wouldn’t get silly. New Pal has athletes too. They will be well prepared. One thing cathedral has not seen this year is a string physical RB like Spegal. They have seen some very good and fast RB’s but Spegal is not like the TB’s they have seen. They will have to play their best for sure!

talking about spegal... is it true he is 19 and almost 20?.... just the word on the street, not saying it is true or not just wondering lol.

i heard he was not going to be able to run track due to his age qualification.

• Disdain 2

14 minutes ago, INHSFootball said:

talking about spegal... is it true he is 19 and almost 20?.... just the word on the street, not saying it is true or not just wondering lol.

i heard he was not going to be able to run track due to his age qualification.

I'm gonna chime in on this one.  Not my place to give his age or birthday.  But he would be eligible to play any HS sport he wants in accordance with IHSAA rules.  This rumor needs to go away.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I'm gonna chime in on this one.  Not my place to give his age or birthday.  But he would be eligible to play any HS sport he wants in accordance with IHSAA rules.  This rumor needs to go away.

About darn time you chimed in!! Lol just joking, agreed people run with goofy stuff!

• Haha 1