Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

20 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I'm gonna chime in on this one.  Not my place to give his age or birthday.  But he would be eligible to play any HS sport he wants in accordance with IHSAA rules.  This rumor needs to go away.

was not saying he was 19 or he was 15. Just wanted to figure it out so I could know the truth

1 hour ago, INHSFootball said:

talking about spegal... is it true he is 19 and almost 20?.... just the word on the street, not saying it is true or not just wondering lol.

i heard he was not going to be able to run track due to his age qualification.

He’s 31. Thanks for asking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, INHSFootball said:

i really would not say Center Grove is an athletic football team... and if they are to you then okay... 1 game out of many they have played. Cathedral has things new pal has not seen while cathedral has seen everything New Pal has plus more. 

Do not try and argue that.

good way to solve this question would be to count how many D1 players are on each team. I think Cathedral has 6 and CG only 4 but you guys feel free to correct me (and I know you will - lol)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Oh Cathedral fans...

I don't believe that is a Cathedral fan. At any rate number of D1 players means jack squat. What does matter is how a team plays together, how disciplined they play, and if they play hard in games. I would say both New Palestine and Cathedral this year check all of those boxes. They play together, they play disciplined (both teams will make mistakes because they are H.S. teens), and they play and work hard. That is why they are successful. I would say Center Grove fits that bill too and that is why they compete so well in the MIC most years with teams that may have more athletic talent than them. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Ah, it all comes full circle here on the GID.  City speed vs suburban speed has returned!

Mods, feel free to delete if I am over the line here but I feel it necessary to clarify a common misconception here.  It seems that squads with a high percentage of African-American players (or just more than their upcoming opponent) are labeled as being more "athletic" by folks.  And its not just here.  The media does the same thing, specifically with quarterbacks.  Those who are more mobile (usually more so African-American quarterbacks) are praised by commentators and analysts as being more "athletic" perhaps because they have more of a broad skill set than their counterparts.  Caucasian/white players are labeled as being cerebral/game managers often or as "pocket passers".

It's so nauseating as the stereotype simply has no backing or science.  I assume that the poster above who stated that Cathedral was more "athletic" was basing it off of similar factors.  New Pal, a suburban school, plays many schools outside of the donut counties which are sometimes stereotyped as non-athletic because of their lack of diversity.

New Pal DID play AND beat Center Grove over the last two regular seasons and though CG is not as diverse as many of their MIC counterparts, they seem to hold their own on a regular basis and did crush BD, play with Warren and narrowly lose to NC this past fall (all examples used as they are much more "diverse" than CG). 

As a matter of fact, I KNOW for a fact that when Center Grove and New Pal played that the Trojans boasted the fastest player on the field (athleticism?), and that would hold true were Cathedral the opponent.  Does Cathedral have more team speed?  Perhaps.  But let's not pretend that New Pal is going to be shell shocked on Friday night when the Irish take the field.

Yes, Center Grove IS athletic but it is rarely the reason they are successful.  As I have mentioned before, they have a system that kids are buying into the moment they are potty trained and they have it instilled and run it to perfection on most nights.

13 hours ago, Grover said:

New Pal is pretty close to Wanamaker -- the home of the New Bethel Ordinary.  Best pizza around.

Thanks! The only place I found online near the high school is Round The Corner Grill, which I assumed will be flooded around 5 pm

30 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Ah, it all comes full circle here on the GID.  City speed vs suburban speed has returned!

Mods, feel free to delete if I am over the line here but I feel it necessary to clarify a common misconception here.  It seems that squads with a high percentage of African-American players (or just more than their upcoming opponent) are labeled as being more "athletic" by folks.  And its not just here.  The media does the same thing, specifically with quarterbacks.  Those who are more mobile (usually more so African-American quarterbacks) are praised by commentators and analysts as being more "athletic" perhaps because they have more of a broad skill set than their counterparts.  Caucasian/white players are labeled as being cerebral/game managers often or as "pocket passers".

It's so nauseating as the stereotype simply has no backing or science.  I assume that the poster above who stated that Cathedral was more "athletic" was basing it off of similar factors.  New Pal, a suburban school, plays many schools outside of the donut counties which are sometimes stereotyped as non-athletic because of their lack of diversity.

New Pal DID play AND beat Center Grove over the last two regular seasons and though CG is not as diverse as many of their MIC counterparts, they seem to hold their own on a regular basis and did crush BD, play with Warren and narrowly lose to NC this past fall (all examples used as they are much more "diverse" than CG). 

As a matter of fact, I KNOW for a fact that when Center Grove and New Pal played that the Trojans boasted the fastest player on the field (athleticism?), and that would hold true were Cathedral the opponent.  Does Cathedral have more team speed?  Perhaps.  But let's not pretend that New Pal is going to be shell shocked on Friday night when the Irish take the field.

Yes, Center Grove IS athletic but it is rarely the reason they are successful.  As I have mentioned before, they have a system that kids are buying into the moment they are potty trained and they have it instilled and run it to perfection on most nights.

I guess somebody forgot to tell Jeremy Wariner before he retired about this. That and even Matthew Boling. My contention wasn't that New Pal, Cathedral, or Center Grove don't have speed (each one of them do). My contention about Center Grove is that they have had extremely fast players present and past (can name several fast RB's for CG over the years that also did well in track). My contention is that while speed kills, you can over come that with discipline. Something that all 3 above mentioned programs have, and they have speed as well.

That being said having watched quite a few games. I would say the fastest player that I have watched Cathedral have to defend didn't come from Indiana. They have seen Elder QB Matthew Luebbe the last 2 years and he was lightening fast. Which is a big reason he leads the GCL in rushing yards and he is definitely not African American. I am sure @IndplsCathedral_Dad can elaborate how fast Luebbe was in person, I only saw game film. He definitely has jets.

7 minutes ago, bigfish said:

Thanks! The only place I found online near the high school is Round The Corner Grill, which I assumed will be flooded around 5 pm

New Bethel Ordinary is a must! The best pizza I have ever had in my life. You will enjoy it for sure!

23 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

That being said having watched quite a few games. I would say the fastest player that I have watched Cathedral have to defend didn't come from Indiana. They have seen Elder QB Matthew Luebbe the last 2 years and he was lightening fast. Which is a big reason he leads the GCL in rushing yards and he is definitely not African American. I am sure @IndplsCathedral_Dad can elaborate how fast Luebbe was in person, I only saw game film. He definitely has jets.

Would say Luebbe is more shifty than fast, but he's definitely quick. Elder has a massive offensive line that has two D1 commits, one going to Ohio State and the other to Louisville as well as a 230 lb TE going to Ohio State though he is more of a receiver. 

1 hour ago, bigfish said:

Highly recommend Sugar Creek Brickhouse on U.S 40 just east of Mt. Comfort Rd., but there is also Bonnie and Clyde's Hideout on 52 on the west side of town, El Jaripeo and Round the Corner are both in town. 

13 minutes ago, Coach Harvey said:

Highly recommend Sugar Creek Brickhouse on U.S 40 just east of Mt. Comfort Rd., but there is also Bonnie and Clyde's Hideout on 52 on the west side of town, El Jaripeo and Round the Corner are both in town. 

Perfect, thanks a ton!

On 11/10/2019 at 10:51 AM, Olympian06 said:

I wasn’t missing any point. Avon isn’t “trashing” Cathedral or New Pal. 

I wasn't saying I thought Avon 2ould thrash them I think they would be very good games but some people took it as though he was saying and 6A school would thrash them 

NP and Cathedral would both compete with the top 6A teams

On 11/8/2019 at 9:41 PM, Temptation said:

Good, there will be plenty of seats available on both sides there.  Won’t be the case at New Pal.  (Hell, they may be lining up already.)

That's the case every week at New Pal. Home or away, there aren't any empty seats. The community support for football here is off the charts. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 11:00 AM, Temptation said:

Hate having to hijack a thread about the 5A game of the year with FACTS regarding another topic but this is why the internet can be such a great tool/resource or one that becomes problematic for some.

On one side, ANYONE under an anonymous username can make a claim with little facts to back it up.

On the other, someone like me who is annoyed by the above type of person and who enjoys keeping receipts (as many are doing to me right now regarding the MIC/HCC debate) can call them out and provide evidence regarding many of those claims.

If THAT'S "at least 75 percent full" then I assume you also believe in Big Foot, that the moon landing was a hoax and that the MAC is the deepest conference in college football.

Check please...

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 10.53.32 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 10.54.13 AM.png

I admit I was wrong I thought there were more fas on the CG side. My memory not nearly good as it used to be

Irish fan here, let's get back to topic!

I have 5 predictions that will hold 100% true and I am sure both sides can agree on the following:

1. These are two best teams in state regardless of class

2.  It will be SRO only so GET THERE EARLY.

3.  One of these two teams will be playing in 6A next year

4. The game will live up to the hype

5.  The Irish Tailgate / convoy of RV's and motor homes will start showing up at 4PM.  

At any rate, for less than 100% prediction....

I think Cathedral will be more prepared for this game than New Pal, given the fact our schedule strength and New Pal has nothing (in certain spots) that we haven't seen so far this year.  We have seen the greatest speed and size especially with the Ohio powerhouse teams each with multiple Division 1A players on each team.  On the other end, New Pal played a very non-competitive schedule which is no fault of their own...their conference is weak, and if they didn't rest starters after halftime and no running clock I am sure they would have put triple digits on most of those teams!  Our common opponent was Center Grove - where we had 146 penalty yards against us otherwise we would have rolled them up big time.  Our OL and DL lines are the biggest New Pal will have seen all year (and last year for that matter) so the comment someone made about their starters staying in the entire game and being something 'new' since week two is a valid point that they will not be used too...something their schedule quality may have hurt them more than help them (like us).  Spegal is an absolute stud...but with our running back duo of Langdon and Hall (i.e. Thunder and Lightening) in addition to Orin's passing game gives us lots of options to tinker with during the game.

At any rate, New Pal is damn good team and well coached but given the circumstances mentioned above I am going with prediction:

Irish          35

Dragons   24

Finally weather shows high 37/low 25 degrees 7mph wind.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

That's the case every week at New Pal. Home or away, there aren't any empty seats. The community support for football here is off the charts. 

Question - what is the capacity at New Pal?  It looks like a very nice stadium comparable to most 6A schools.  I figure 10-15,000 will be there Friday just not sure how overflow is that?

Edited by Dave007

53 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Irish fan here, let's get back to topic!

I have 5 predictions that will hold 100% true and I am sure both sides can agree on the following:

1. These are two best teams in state regardless of class

2.  It will be SRO only so GET THERE EARLY.

3.  One of these two teams will be playing in 6A next year

4. The game will live up to the hype

5.  The Irish Tailgate / convoy of RV's and motor homes will start showing up at 4PM.  

At any rate, for less than 100% prediction....

I think Cathedral will be more prepared for this game than New Pal, given the fact our schedule strength and New Pal has nothing (in certain spots) that we haven't seen so far this year.  We have seen the greatest speed and size especially with the Ohio powerhouse teams each with multiple Division 1A players on each team.  On the other end, New Pal played a very non-competitive schedule which is no fault of their own...their conference is weak, and if they didn't rest starters after halftime and no running clock I am sure they would have put triple digits on most of those teams!  Our common opponent was Center Grove - where we had 146 penalty yards against us otherwise we would have rolled them up big time.  Our OL and DL lines are the biggest New Pal will have seen all year (and last year for that matter) so the comment someone made about their starters staying in the entire game and being something 'new' since week two is a valid point that they will not be used too...something their schedule quality may have hurt them more than help them (like us).  Spegal is an absolute stud...but with our running back duo of Langdon and Hall (i.e. Thunder and Lightening) in addition to Orin's passing game gives us lots of options to tinker with during the game.

At any rate, New Pal is damn good team and well coached but given the circumstances mentioned above I am going with prediction:

Irish          35

Dragons   24

Finally weather shows high 37/low 25 degrees 7mph wind.  

I like your prediction!

I think both teams will trade blows in the first half. I believe Cathedral slows Spegal in the second half and gets a few key stops and with their big play ability converts those opportunities to put some separation between the two teams on the scoreboard. New Pal is forced to speed it up and throw the ball. New Pal scores late to make it a one possession game, but the Irish recover the onside kick to seal the deal 38-30.  

Edited by Footballking16

45 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Question - what is the capacity at New Pal?  It looks like a very nice stadium comparable to most 6A schools.  I figure 10-15,000 will be there Friday just not sure how overflow is that?

10-15k is a bit ambitious...lol.

47 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I’ll say 5-7K MAX go to this one

Edited by cg_holmeaid

22 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

I’ll say 5-7K MAX go to this one

We had 2,500+ fans at the Brownsburg away game last year and that was regular season.  We don't have a home field, so we tend to 'travel well' (i.e. tailgating is CRAZY).

I figure 5,000 Irish Fans and 10,000 Dragon fans.  Everyone I know is talking about this game, even those without rooting interest will be going to game.  If the game ends up televised and/or weather takes a turn then I am with your prediction!

10 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

We had 2,500+ fans at the Brownsburg away game last year and that was regular season.  We don't have a home field, so we tend to 'travel well' (i.e. tailgating is CRAZY).

I figure 5,000 Irish Fans and 10,000 Dragon fans.  Everyone I know is talking about this game, even those without rooting interest will be going to game.  If the game ends up televised and/or weather takes a turn then I am with your prediction!

TEN THOUSAND Dragon fans huh?  You must go to the @SEXYMOFO school of numbers...