Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

19 hours ago, Grover said:

New Pal kids obviously condition well all year round as they were in great shape early in the season.  Very impressive team/program.  

Difficult to judge Cathedral from the CG game as I think both teams played a very conservative game but I'm predicting New Pal 35-21.

Boo!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Irish fan here, let's get back to topic!

I have 5 predictions that will hold 100% true and I am sure both sides can agree on the following:

1. These are two best teams in state regardless of class

2.  It will be SRO only so GET THERE EARLY.

3.  One of these two teams will be playing in 6A next year

4. The game will live up to the hype

5.  The Irish Tailgate / convoy of RV's and motor homes will start showing up at 4PM.  

At any rate, for less than 100% prediction....

I think Cathedral will be more prepared for this game than New Pal, given the fact our schedule strength and New Pal has nothing (in certain spots) that we haven't seen so far this year.  We have seen the greatest speed and size especially with the Ohio powerhouse teams each with multiple Division 1A players on each team.  On the other end, New Pal played a very non-competitive schedule which is no fault of their own...their conference is weak, and if they didn't rest starters after halftime and no running clock I am sure they would have put triple digits on most of those teams!  Our common opponent was Center Grove - where we had 146 penalty yards against us otherwise we would have rolled them up big time.  Our OL and DL lines are the biggest New Pal will have seen all year (and last year for that matter) so the comment someone made about their starters staying in the entire game and being something 'new' since week two is a valid point that they will not be used too...something their schedule quality may have hurt them more than help them (like us).  Spegal is an absolute stud...but with our running back duo of Langdon and Hall (i.e. Thunder and Lightening) in addition to Orin's passing game gives us lots of options to tinker with during the game.

At any rate, New Pal is damn good team and well coached but given the circumstances mentioned above I am going with prediction:

Irish          35

Dragons   24

Finally weather shows high 37/low 25 degrees 7mph wind.  

Class realignment happens every two years.  Both of these teams will be 5A next year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I don't believe that is a Cathedral fan. At any rate number of D1 players means jack squat. What does matter is how a team plays together, how disciplined they play, and if they play hard in games. I would say both New Palestine and Cathedral this year check all of those boxes. They play together, they play disciplined (both teams will make mistakes because they are H.S. teens), and they play and work hard. That is why they are successful. I would say Center Grove fits that bill too and that is why they compete so well in the MIC most years with teams that may have more athletic talent than them. Just my 2 cents.

The question was about who had more "athletes"?   I think the opinion of hundreds of recruiters and position coaches who make it their living to evaluate talent does mean "squat"....... A LOT OF SQUAT!  Is it a perfect measure? No.  The number of All District, All State players might be another 

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

We had 2,500+ fans at the Brownsburg away game last year and that was regular season.  We don't have a home field, so we tend to 'travel well' (i.e. tailgating is CRAZY).

I figure 5,000 Irish Fans and 10,000 Dragon fans.  Everyone I know is talking about this game, even those without rooting interest will be going to game.  If the game ends up televised and/or weather takes a turn then I am with your prediction!

I don’t even think there’s more than 10,000 people that live in New Pal. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NorthIndysports said:

The question was about who had more "athletes"?   I think the opinion of hundreds of recruiters and position coaches who make it their living to evaluate talent does mean "squat"....... A LOT OF SQUAT!  Is it a perfect measure? No.  The number of All District, All State players might be another 

Of course "athletes" mean squat to recruiters and position coaches. Let me rephrase my statement "who has more athletes will mean jack squat on who wins this game". Better?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave007 said:

I have 5 predictions that will hold 100% true and I am sure both sides can agree on the following:

5.  The Irish Tailgate / convoy of RV's and motor homes will start showing up at 4PM.  

At any rate, for less than 100% prediction....

I think Cathedral will be more prepared for this game than New Pal, given the fact our schedule strength and New Pal has nothing (in certain spots) that we haven't seen so far this year.  We have seen the greatest speed and size especially with the Ohio powerhouse teams each with multiple Division 1A players on each team.  On the other end, New Pal played a very non-competitive schedule which is no fault of their own...their conference is weak, and if they didn't rest starters after halftime and no running clock I am sure they would have put triple digits on most of those teams!  Our common opponent was Center Grove - where we had 146 penalty yards against us otherwise we would have rolled them up big time.  Our OL and DL lines are the biggest New Pal will have seen all year (and last year for that matter) so the comment someone made about their starters staying in the entire game and being something 'new' since week two is a valid point that they will not be used too...something their schedule quality may have hurt them more than help them (like us).  Spegal is an absolute stud...but with our running back duo of Langdon and Hall (i.e. Thunder and Lightening) in addition to Orin's passing game gives us lots of options to tinker with during the game.

At any rate, New Pal is damn good team and well coached but given the circumstances mentioned above I am going with prediction:

Irish          35

Dragons   24

Finally weather shows high 37/low 25 degrees 7mph wind.  

In summary......... New Pal is better than any 6A team, but Cathedral will dominate New Pal (based on your 1 paragraph analysis) so Cathedral would trash any 6A team (except maybe Avon, oh and Center Grove). I think that's about right?  Yeah.  

Hoping this one is streamed 'cause I think this may be a classic!

28 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

I don’t even think there’s more than 10,000 people that live in New Pal. 

We had 5000+ at each of our 3 recent forays to LOS from a town of 2800.  I think everyone who ever spoke the name of the town was there in support 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

So it's not really a small town atmosphere, more like a Noblesville?

Not nearly as big as Noblesville, but would say it still has that small town atmosphere (for now). Between New Pal, Greenfield, and sections of McCordsville/Fortville, Hancock County is steadily growing.

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not nearly as big as Noblesville, but would say it still has that small town atmosphere (for now). Between New Pal, Greenfield, and sections of McCordsville/Fortville, Hancock County is steadily growing.

Gotcha. Thanks

7 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

That being said having watched quite a few games. I would say the fastest player that I have watched Cathedral have to defend didn't come from Indiana. They have seen Elder QB Matthew Luebbe the last 2 years and he was lightening fast. Which is a big reason he leads the GCL in rushing yards and he is definitely not African American. I am sure @IndplsCathedral_Dad can elaborate how fast Luebbe was in person, I only saw game film. He definitely has jets.

8 hours ago, bigfish said:

The fastest freshmen player we faced this year was Center Grove’s RB. Don’t know his name, but he was a quick white boy. And CG was the best frosh team we played.  

8 hours ago, bigfish said:

Thanks! The only place I found online near the high school is Round The Corner Grill, which I assumed will be flooded around 5 pm

Round the Corner is the spot! Rumor is that is where Coach Ralph and his coordinators “debrief” after practice nightly. I was told by the bartender last time I was in there they sit right at the end of the bar and strategize. I’ll be rolling in there before 3p to get the party started. 

4 hours ago, Dave007 said:

5.  The Irish Tailgate / convoy of RV's and motor homes will start showing up at 4pm.

I think you’d be late at 4pm. Let’s go Irish! 

2 hours ago, Staxawax said:

In summary......... New Pal is better than any 6A team, but Cathedral will dominate New Pal (based on your 1 paragraph analysis) so Cathedral would trash any 6A team (except maybe Avon, oh and Center Grove). I think that's about right?  Yeah.  

Hoping this one is streamed 'cause I think this may be a classic!

This game will be streamed on IHSAATV.com

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Temptation said:

As a matter of fact, I KNOW for a fact that when Center Grove and New Pal played that the Trojans boasted the fastest player on the field (athleticism?), and that would hold true were Cathedral the opponent. 

We did?  Who?

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I've supped at the Ordinary.   I know where it's at.

Good luck to the Trojans Friday night!

Same to your Irish.

• Like 1

Cathedral definitely has the better team.  NP’s schedule is awful, but they are not changing conferences because they had a run of good football teams over the past 7 or so years.  We probably are seeing an end to their run.  Unless they have some transfers coming the pipeline is not looking good for the Dragons.  Probably need to consider a change to a different nickname too.  

• Disdain 1

4 minutes ago, JHgwood said:

Cathedral definitely has the better team.  NP’s schedule is awful, but they are not changing conferences because they had a run of good football teams over the past 7 or so years.  We probably are seeing an end to their run.  Unless they have some transfers coming the pipeline is not looking good for the Dragons.  Probably need to consider a change to a different nickname too.  

Care to elaborate

1 hour ago, dmizers3 said:

Care to elaborate

@dmizers3 I wouldn't pay much attention to it. First post by that screen name, and same with the "cathedral poster" with a prediction on the previous page. Probably accounts created yesterday. These big game threads always tend to mysteriously get new screen names with first time posters that like to stir things up. It gets some going sometimes, but when you step back it can look comical. Any rate most of us know who the regular posters for each team are. Then throw in the GID bookie @Olympian06 and always gets a good wager on a big game for a donation to the GID and I love it! lol 

FYI I actually really like New Pal's nickname of the Dragons. It is unique nickname that not many schools have!

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1