Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

3 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

@dmizers3 I wouldn't pay much attention to it. First post by that screen name, and same with the "cathedral poster" with a prediction on the previous page. Probably accounts created yesterday. These big game threads always tend to mysteriously get new screen names with first time posters that like to stir things up. It gets some going sometimes, but when you step back it can look comical. Any rate most of us know who the regular posters for each team are. Then throw in the GID bookie @Olympian06 and always gets a good wager on a big game for a donation to the GID and I love it! lol 

Couldn’t have said it better. “At least 75%” of the Cathedral fans are using that method I’d say.

Edited by cg_holmeaid

I don’t care who they’ve played, betting against 84-4 with any level of “confidence” is asinine.

Cathedral may win as I went back and forth with this one in the contest but I’m not confident at all.

I can only imagine the new accounts created and posts next week were the Irish to pull it off.  It may make me long for the days of “Irish Parent.”

43 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I don’t care who they’ve played, betting against 84-4 with any level of “confidence” is asinine.

Cathedral may win as I went back and forth with this one in the contest but I’m not confident at all.

I can only imagine the new accounts created and posts next week were the Irish to pull it off.  It may make me long for the days of “Irish Parent.”

Agreed, I have 0 confidence on what may happen Friday night other than it will be 2 very good, well coached teams playing and I'll be very cold in the stands.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

@dmizers3 I wouldn't pay much attention to it. First post by that screen name, and same with the "cathedral poster" with a prediction on the previous page. Probably accounts created yesterday. These big game threads always tend to mysteriously get new screen names with first time posters that like to stir things up. It gets some going sometimes, but when you step back it can look comical. Any rate most of us know who the regular posters for each team are. Then throw in the GID bookie @Olympian06 and always gets a good wager on a big game for a donation to the GID and I love it! lol 

FYI I actually really like New Pal's nickname of the Dragons. It is unique nickname that not many schools have!

I just look for these outlandish comments and make people out there money where there mouth is. 
Like the Roncalli guy that said Cathedral was going to beat Columbus East by 21 and East won by 30 in 2017 😂😂

Edited by Olympian06

2 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

How does this year's Cathedral team compare to their 4A/5A juggernauts from 2010-2015? 

You know, that's a great question. I think those Cathedral teams from 10-15 had much better individual talent, but this team as a whole just seems to be bigger, faster, stronger, deeper, and a very good cohesive group. This years group has D1 talent, but you won't find a Ted Karras or Terry McLaurin who start now in the NFL or any P5 caliber talent, but they play extremely well as a group. Cathedral's best playmaker has been out since the Brebeuf game and isn't coming back, but they've still moved the ball extremely well even with his absence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

You know, that's a great question. I think those Cathedral teams from 10-15 had much better individual talent, but this team as a whole just seems to be bigger, faster, stronger, deeper, and a very good cohesive group. This years group has D1 talent, but you won't find a Ted Karras or Terry McLaurin who start now in the NFL or any P5 caliber talent, but they play extremely well as a group. Cathedral's best playmaker has been out since the Brebeuf game and isn't coming back, but they've still moved the ball extremely well even with his absence.

Great points.

I just remember some 4A and 5A schools, during those '10-'15 teams, thought that their teams would beat Cathedral in the tournament and it usually turned into being a huge blowout. Not saying that that will happen against NP AT ALL because NP is one of the best teams in the state regardless of class (as opposed to some of those 4A-5A schools during that time) but it just seems like an awfully familiar situation for Cathedral. 

Edited by MICFan34

24 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

The sophomore lineman that is 6'5" 307 lbs. and pulls to open up huge holes, you might be counting him out pretty early.  We also have another couple of sophomore lineman that are 6'5" and 6'4" that have played their fair share this postseason.  We will have what I would guess will be the biggest line in the state the next two seasons. 

4 hours ago, bigfish said:

Are you sure? I'm not seeing it on the schedule:

https://www.ihsaatv.org/schedule-and-replays?sort=upcoming

I was going off of the broadcast page on John Harrell's page.  I don't know why it would not be broadcast, this is a very big game.

http://www.broadcastsport.net/Broadcasts Basketball.aspx

9 hours ago, JHgwood said:

Cathedral definitely has the better team.  NP’s schedule is awful, but they are not changing conferences because they had a run of good football teams over the past 7 or so years.  We probably are seeing an end to their run.  Unless they have some transfers coming the pipeline is not looking good for the Dragons.  Probably need to consider a change to a different nickname too.  

1. NP's schedule isn't awful. 2017 5A runner-up, Center Grove in the non-conference. A Mt. Vernon team that won its sectional (over Pendleton Heights) in the regular season. Yorktown was a Top 10 3A team. Delta was a very good 4A team. It's only perceived as "awful" because NP improved, but there are a lot of good, well-coached teams in the HHC. NP is playing Decatur Central and Brebeuf in the non-conference next year. 

2. This team is special and next year will be a bit of a rebuild, but the JV went 8-1 (only loss to Center Grove), the frosh 7-2 and were literally three points away from being undefeated. The seventh grade had a solid season and New Palestine has one of the largest and most well-run youth football leagues in the state feeding it talent. That, and with 300-400 homes under construction *right now* and another 800 or so planned, NP is going to keep growing. Many thought NP's run was going to end after the Neligh/Blackwell/Yazel/Brickens/Estes class graduated with a 2014 state title and a 2015 runner-up, but NP reloaded and the core of last year's title team and this year's squad went 19-2 over the next two years and that set the table for 14-0 last year and 11-0 this year. 

3. There is no problem with the nickname. It's unique (Argos & Silver Creek also use it) and a mythological creature. It has *nothing* to do with what some people want to insinuate. 

16 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

2017 census said 2,400. And I only said that because this one guy said that 10,000 New Pal fans would be at the game.

The town of New Palestine is very tiny and largely consists of the older neighborhoods on a narrow strip of land between the railroad tracks and U.S. 52 for a mile stretch... most of the population of the New Palestine school district lives outside town limits. It would be like using the population of Bargersville as a proxy for Center Grove's population. 

Sugar Creek Township's population as of 2010 was 14,900 ... and there have been *several* new subdivisions built since then, so it's probably closer to 18,000-20,000 now. Brandywine Township (south of Greenfield)'s population was about 2,500 in 2010. There isn't much growth in Brandywine, but Sugar Creek Township is one of the fastest-growing areas in Central Indiana. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see 5,000+ New Palestine fans there Friday night. The crowds for NP games have been huge all season (and every game for several years). This is a football-crazed community. 

8 minutes ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

I was going off of the broadcast page on John Harrell's page.  I don't know why it would not be broadcast, this is a very big game.

http://www.broadcastsport.net/Broadcasts Basketball.aspx

IHSAA.tv will video stream
NewPalRadio.com will have the New Palestine broadcast
Cathedral buys time on WNDE, so it will have their broadcast

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

IHSAA.tv will video stream
NewPalRadio.com will have the New Palestine broadcast
Cathedral buys time on WNDE, so it will have their broadcast

I wonder why it's not on the IHSAAtv.org schedule though?

28 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

The town of New Palestine is very tiny and largely consists of the older neighborhoods on a narrow strip of land between the railroad tracks and U.S. 52 for a mile stretch... most of the population of the New Palestine school district lives outside town limits. It would be like using the population of Bargersville as a proxy for Center Grove's population. 

Sugar Creek Township's population as of 2010 was 14,900 ... and there have been *several* new subdivisions built since then, so it's probably closer to 18,000-20,000 now. Brandywine Township (south of Greenfield)'s population was about 2,500 in 2010. There isn't much growth in Brandywine, but Sugar Creek Township is one of the fastest-growing areas in Central Indiana. 

So yet another urban sprawl community.

• Disdain 2

4 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Not sure, but they're on the approved broadcasters list. 

Got it - thanks. This will certainly alter my plans for the evening if it's being streamed 😁

If anyone knows for sure, please let me know!

27 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So yet another urban sprawl community.

We prefer "growing suburban community." Thousands of people making the conscious choice to live in a quiet, tight-knit community with good schools and a good way of life is not something to be panned because they didn't make the choice you'd make. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

We prefer "growing suburban community." Thousands of people making the conscious choice to live in a quiet, tight-knit community with good schools and a good way of life is not something to be panned because they didn't make the choice you'd make. 

It's still sprawl, and the main reason for the growth is effectively an accident of geography.  What if the founders of New Palestine had initially platted the town 25 miles further east?  What if the planners of the U.S. Highway system had routed U.S. 52 ten miles south of the town?