Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

23 hours ago, Muda69 said:

It's still sprawl, and the main reason for the growth is effectively an accident of geography.  What if the founders of New Palestine had initially platted the town 25 miles further east?  What if the planners of the U.S. Highway system had routed U.S. 52 ten miles south of the town?

The school in this township would probably be as big as it is now, with a similar student population, no matter where U.S. 52 or U.S. 40 (which also runs through the NP district) were located. Much like Avon, we don't have an interstate exit, yet are still growing rapidly. 

Don't tell Muda that I live a mile east of the Marion County line and my neighborhood is completely surrounded by fields ... as are the four other neighborhoods on our county road. Quite honestly, it's not much different than living in Frankfort, just that we have a few more subdivisions. But I don't consider suburbs to be a bad thing and I enjoy living in one. 

2 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

I don't want to feed trolls, but this is absurd. New Palestine is a fast-growing community largely because of the schools. Good for you that you've found the couple of disgruntled people in every community. Our test scores and community makeup are comparable to Center Grove, Avon, et al, and as the school grows, that's going to continue. Property values *inside* the district are substantially higher than those across the line in neighboring districts. I follow a lot of social media accounts. I've not seen anything about "God creating football for New Palestine." I do see a number of people with pride in their community and their football team, and acknowledging the hard work of many in the community to build a quality youth program that has fed this high school team. And yes, I've checked the police records at the local paper. I'm not going to speak for other communities, but New Palestine is fairly quiet, low crime, good community. When it comes to football, we've got Warren Central, New Palestine, Mt. Vernon & Triton Central - all neighboring districts - are all competing for regional titles this Friday night, so obviously, we must be doing something right over here. 

Does New Palestine have an Applebees?  In order to be "on the map" you have to have at least an Applebees within the city limits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to football ... the more I look at these two teams, I don't see a lot of difference. Cathedral has a good QB, a solid 1-2 punch in the running game and big-play receivers. It also has a really good defensive front/LB group that's great at stopping the run. New Pal has a good QB, several good receivers, the state's all-time rushing leader and scorer running behind an All-State lineman and a really good defensive front/LB group that's great at stopping the run. 

The teams' schedules can be the the talk of things every Friday, but schedules are not on the field Friday night. NP played the exact same schedule last year, then tore through the 5A field to win the state title, with the closest game being 12 points. Columbus East used to have the same criticisms lobbed at its schedule, but the Olympians have made multiple deep tourney runs in 4A and 5A over the last several years (and is a program I have the utmost respect for). Both teams have earned the right to be there. They're both great football teams. They're evenly matched. The tailgating and atmosphere will be off the charts, as you've got two football-crazed schools with great fan bases matching up on a crisp November Friday. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

I don't want to feed trolls, but this is absurd. New Palestine is a fast-growing community largely because of the schools. Good for you that you've found the couple of disgruntled people in every community. Our test scores and community makeup are comparable to Center Grove, Avon, et al, and as the school grows, that's going to continue. Property values *inside* the district are substantially higher than those across the line in neighboring districts. I follow a lot of social media accounts. I've not seen anything about "God creating football for New Palestine." I do see a number of people with pride in their community and their football team, and acknowledging the hard work of many in the community to build a quality youth program that has fed this high school team. And yes, I've checked the police records at the local paper. I'm not going to speak for other communities, but New Palestine is fairly quiet, low crime, good community. When it comes to football, we've got Warren Central, New Palestine, Mt. Vernon & Triton Central - all neighboring districts - are all competing for regional titles this Friday night, so obviously, we must be doing something right over here. 

1st is CG, 2nd is Avon, 3rd is NP

”Similar”

500B618C-4BB6-4E55-89A1-63174D919760.jpeg

0D604339-998C-455B-9420-D1FEC40AD59D.jpeg

C45813A7-1638-4A34-9DBF-37931CBE6E4C.jpeg

Edited by cg_holmeaid

A lot of silliness, and even some bigotry, in this thread.  I really appreciate the interest and I believe it's well founded.  This is all about the game.  It is one of the most anticipated games in quite awhile.  I hope it's a good time for both sides.

That being said, these are the kind of games that young men come to Cathedral to play football.  Win or lose, and I hope it's win, I hope the Irish play their best, no excuses!  It's been a fun season so far and tomorrow will continue to be fun, at least from my viewpoint.  I have expectations but I'll keep them to myself.

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, southend said:

I am wondering about concessions at this game, why all the banter about the game. So , does new pal have anything GOOD to munch on while I watch this bigger than life contest?

Weird, I thought you were going to the Bloomington South vs Floyd Game? 

Or is it your way of saying “hey pay attention to the other South Regional game” 

Edited by Olympian06
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, southend said:

I am wondering about concessions at this game, why all the banter about the game. So , does new pal have anything GOOD to munch on while I watch this bigger than life 

Steak, ribs, crab legs...the usual high school concessions stuff

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Rumor is this is the same officiating crew that did the Cathedral vs Center Grove game. Can anyone confirm? That would seriously affect the Vegas line...

Make sure that Peebles tells his players not to look at the refs funny, or else they’ll throw their handkerchief 😂😂

23 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Steak, ribs, crab legs...the usual high school concessions stuff

What kind of steak are we talking about?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Make sure that Peebles tells his players not to look at the refs funny, or else they’ll throw their handkerchief 😂😂

Not amusing. I don’t know who officiated the Cathedral - Center Grove game, but the crew assigned to this game is a 2-time state championship crew, having worked the finals as recently as 2017. They have been one of the highest ranked crews in the state for at least the last 6-7 seasons. Whoever loses is going to have to find a different excuse than the officiating.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Not amusing. I don’t know who officiated the Cathedral - Center Grove game, but the crew assigned to this game is a 2-time state championship crew, having worked the finals as recently as 2017. They have been one of the highest ranked crews in the state for at least the last 6-7 seasons. Whoever loses is going to have to find a different excuse than the officiating.

It was a joke because Cathedral had at least 4 personal foul penalties called on them for no apparent reason that I know of with that crew. No reason to get butt-hurt over a joke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

It was a joke because Cathedral had at least 4 personal foul penalties called on them for no apparent reason that I know of with that crew. No reason to get butt-hurt over a joke

And that’s the key.