Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

11 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Tonight, carries 1-19 for Spegal: 97 yards, 1 TD
Carries 20-30: 188 yards, 3 TD with runs of 50, 31 and 64. 

Pretty telling stat.

Carry 1 went for about 60 yards and the Irish did a phenomenal holding him in check up until late in the third quarter. Cathedral not being able to punch the ball in from 1st and G from the 5 is going to haunt the Irish for some time. I really believe had the Irish gone up 2 scores you effectively take Spegal out of the game and force the New Pal offense to throw the ball down the field.

Edited by Footballking16

13 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Spegal is the real deal.  No one for many years has run for over 280 against the Irish.  He seemed invisible at times.  He got outside way too many times and when he did he was gone, or at least got a big hunk of yards.  It will be tough for any team to stop him as he went against a pretty good defense and looked like a true all stater.

Good luck to the Dragons, although I don't think they'll need it as long as they have #32.

Spegal is great, no doubt, but, someone needs to talk about that O-line.  The yards after contact are Spegal, but, those long runs were about great blocking.  How many times did you guys fail to set the edge because your DE got hooked?  Answer: a lot.  New Pal won this game at the LOS, both offensively and defensively.  Someone give me an Amen.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Orwell 2 said:

Spegal is great, no doubt, but, someone needs to talk about that O-line.  The yards after contact are Spegal, but, those long runs were about great blocking.  How many times did you guys fail to set the edge because your DE got hooked?  Answer: a lot.  New Pal won this game at the LOS, both offensively and defensively.  Someone give me an Amen.  

Amen.

I didn't see tonight's game but I certainly saw their linemen play against us early in the season and they are very impressive.  Mind-boggling that so many players play two ways and they never wear down.

Edited by Grover

7 minutes ago, George Orwell 2 said:

The New Palestine O-Line has been the key to the Dragons' offensive success for years, and a key starter returned this week in Jacob Brittsan. He & Kyle King form a formidable right side, Noah Mack is a three-year starter at C and is a junior. Those guys live in the weight room and it pays dividends on Friday nights. Put a running back like Spegal behind a relentless, strong line and they can be good. In every close game this year - CG, Pendleton Heights, Whiteland, Cathedral - they've taken over in the second half. 

37 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Two things he mentioned in pregame interviews - three turnovers a game (he reminded me of that in our postgame conversation tonight, as they got three), and Charlie Spegal's is best when he gets to carry 20+ as he's such a load to bring down, he can wear down a defense. 

Tonight, carries 1-19 for Spegal: 97 yards, 1 TD
Carries 20-30: 188 yards, 3 TD with runs of 50, 31 and 64. 

I have seen over the years the P/P vs Public argument on this board. Coach Ralph brings exactly what teams like Chatard, Cathedral, and others bring to the table. It’s not a secret ingredient it’s hard work in the weight room, great conditioning, great scheme with great coaches, and goals within games they try to attain. 

Charlie Spegal is special and New Pal will definitely miss him. That being said with Coach Ralph and his staff at the helm New Pal will continue to work hard and have success!

you broke it down best. It was a tight game. Turnovers can change the outcome of a game in a heart beat. People weee all over Roncalli during their run. To be honest they weren’t special or that much better than everyone else. What they did was not turn the ball over and force you to turn it over ( same as New Pal did tonight granted NPbhas a special player in Soegal)..

No matter what my favorite New Pal player resides in @CaptainHook‘s household for obvious reasons! Lol

be sure to keep messaging captain!

• Like 3

I climbed on this soapbox in our postgame show tonight as we waited for our postgame interview ... but for those who want to downplay New Palestine's schedule, the Dragons have beaten two regional champs this regular season (6A Center Grove 28-9 & 4A Mt. Vernon 49-7). There was another win against Pendleton Heights, a team that beat regional champ MV in the regular season and played them to the wire in the sectional final. I'm not sure too many teams in the state have two wins vs. semistate participants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

@Coach Nowlin, myself, and the entire GID thank you for the $50 donation you will be giving. I always smile when I see people willing to give up easy money.. 

Will not run away from my bet. I am completely shocked with the outcome of the game. Honestly going into halftime with the score 10-7 i felt confident. The game changer in this game was not going for it on NP 3 yard line, missing the field goal, then NP gets the ball at the 25.... i did not know they moved the ball to the 25. NP coaching staff completely out coached Cathedral staff from halftime and on. Embarrassing for cathedral fans. 

Congrats to New Pal and I see no one coming close to beating them this year, with that being said, after this year they will be in the rebuilding process. But who knows maybe they have another 19 year old star that is going to transfer!!! It would  have been a better game if Cathedral was able to play Markese Stepp tonight who is younger than Speigal... lol just kidding. Hats off to the dragons. Hope for games like tonight in the future. Nothing beats Friday Night lights!

• Disdain 2

2 minutes ago, INHSFootball said:

Will not run away from my bet. I am completely shocked with the outcome of the game. Honestly going into halftime with the score 10-7 i felt confident. The game changer in this game was not going for it on NP 3 yard line, missing the field goal, then NP gets the ball at the 25.... i did not know they moved the ball to the 25. NP coaching staff completely out coached Cathedral staff from halftime and on. 

NP got it at the 20 (touchback after a missed FG). Next play was a sack to the 14, then a 35-yard pass to Roudebush to midfield (IMO, the real turning-point play of the game), then Spegal's 50-yard run after a short gain. 

3 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

NP got it at the 20 (touchback after a missed FG). Next play was a sack to the 14, then a 35-yard pass to Roudebush to midfield (IMO, the real turning-point play of the game), then Spegal's 50-yard run after a short gain. 

Agreed. Honestly thought it was a poorly thrown ball into the wind that kind of hung up there but the Cathedral DB played the receiver and not the ball. Thought there was a chance it may be high pointed with Cathedral going the other way. Huge momentum swing after the previous two plays.

Back breaker was the Cathedral fumble on the ensuing drive. After that it was lights out.

the only thing that annoyed me in this thread is when posters said that we hadn't seen speed or athtletes like Cathedral had.  As Muda has so graciously pointed out, we are a suburb of Indianapolis.  These boys have seen city speed since second grade.  Played basketball and football against the top athletes Indy has to offer.  Won a Basketball regional semi-final against Avon.  Came within a shot of beating Ben Davis.  Won a state championship in football defeating Zionsville, Michigan City and Decatur Central.  To act like our boys had no idea what they were gonna see is asinine.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

the only thing that annoyed me in this thread is when posters said that we hadn't seen speed or athtletes like Cathedral had.  As Muda has so graciously pointed out, we are a suburb of Indianapolis.  These boys have seen city speed since second grade.  Played basketball and football against the top athletes Indy has to offer.  Won a Basketball regional semi-final against Avon.  Came within a shot of beating Ben Davis.  Won a state championship in football defeating Zionsville, Michigan City and Decatur Central.  To act like our boys had no idea what they were gonna see is asinine.

Kyle King has done some incredible things on the football field, but went four quarters toe-to-toe with Dawand Jones last year in the regional despite Jones being six inches and about 100 pounds bigger. 

I just hope folks stop overlooking teams like New Palestine for playing "weak schedules" and start paying attention to what actually goes on out on the field. Your schedule doesn't mean a freaking thing. Executing on the football field, being disciplined, and having players/coaches that are 100% bought in does. 

Every time I think New Palestine has finally earned everyone's respect, they play a new tough opponent which brings out another group of clueless doubters. Stop it. 

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

There were a few things that annoyed me. The first like you said the talk about speed which I knew wouldn't have much of an effect because New Pal has great team speed of their own. Another was the talk of D-1 talent. To me when you look at it, it's not like New Pal doesn't have D-1 talent on their team. King is committed to Michigan State, Hook to Toledo, Spegal has interest for sure but I think colleges still lump him as a FB. There was plenty of talent on that field last night in both red and white. Which was why I said D-1 talent will have nothing to do with the outcome of this game. One other thing that was annoying were some of the comments by supporters of other teams making asnine comments.

4 hours ago, Coach Buchanan said:

At the end of the day it was 2  great teams in what I thought would be a war. It was a war. class players and coaches. Great effort by both teams.  

I couldn't agree with you more Coach. Many will wake up look at the box score and see 35-10. What they won't see was the preparation both teams put in. The physicality of the game and effort by both teams. Both coaching staffs had good game plans. In the first half Cathedral controlled the clock at times, mounted drives, were forcing New Pal to throw and getting pressure. They ended up with a TD and a FG instead of 2 TD's like I am sure they had hoped for, but New Pal's D had a lot to do with that. In the 2nd half New Pal set out to do what they wanted creating turnovers which put their offense on the field hit a huge pass play that was crucial. Then they did what they do best run the ball at the D and wear them down and Spegal starts to break big plays. It is definitely key to try and keep the Dragons offense off the field and score points, very difficult to do for 4 quarters because New Pal has great players on Offense and Defense that are very disciplined.

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I just hope folks stop overlooking teams like New Palestine for playing "weak schedules" and start paying attention to what actually goes on out on the field. Your schedule doesn't mean a freaking thing. Executing on the football field, being disciplined, and having players/coaches that are 100% bought in does. 

Every time I think New Palestine has finally earned everyone's respect, they play a new tough opponent which brings out another group of clueless doubters. Stop it. 

New Pal has had my respect since the comeback they had in the State Championship against Snider (even though it was a loss). Schedule gets talked about a lot. Ultimately what matters is the play on the field by the teams. In all honesty Cathedral while they have a rugged schedule, they do so because they have no other choice. Being an independent after week 2 most teams are playing in their conference with no opening. So they pick up these out of state teams. They are fortunate CG and WC have moved their game to week 1 leaving an opening for CG in week 9. It honestly doesn't matter who is on your schedule when you have great coaching and players that work hard and develop their craft.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

I climbed on this soapbox in our postgame show tonight as we waited for our postgame interview ... but for those who want to downplay New Palestine's schedule, the Dragons have beaten two regional champs this regular season (6A Center Grove 28-9 & 4A Mt. Vernon 49-7). There was another win against Pendleton Heights, a team that beat regional champ MV in the regular season and played them to the wire in the sectional final. I'm not sure too many teams in the state have two wins vs. semistate participants. 

There are not many for sure. The only one I can think of is Cathedral: who beat Chatard and Center Grove.

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Give it until Wednesday of this week.  The doubters will be back...

6 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Give it until Wednesday of this week.  The doubters will be back...

Not for the South Semi-State game they won’t.. They might be chirping that Valpo will beat NP, but I can 100% say the South Semi-State game is going to be a blowout lol 

1 minute ago, Olympian06 said:

Not for the South Semi-State game they won’t.. They might be chirping that Valpo will beat NP, but I can 100% say the South Semi-State game is going to be a blowout lol 

If New Pal thinks that the state championship was won against Cathedral, then they will lose to the Valpo/Dwenger winner.....................I have no doubt about that. Honestly though, as the best coach in the state, I think Kyle Ralph will have his team mentally prepared. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

If New Pal thinks that the state championship was won against Cathedral, then they will lose to the Valpo/Dwenger winner.....................I have no doubt about that. Honestly though, as the best coach in the state, I think Kyle Ralph will have his team mentally prepared. 

Nobody from New Pal especially that team thinks they won the state title, and that’s the problem for anyone from the North. Focus won’t be an issue. 

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Unfortunately for everyone else New Pal's coaching staff and players will be focusing on Bloomington South starting today. They'll leave all the prognosticating and word diarrhea to all the GID pro's!  

8 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Let me say unequivocally that this person doesn't speak for any of us at NP. Cathedral is a class program with a great fanbase. Tip of the cap to them. Tonight was two good football teams playing a game where the score belied how it was played. Congrats to Cathedral on a great year. That program will be back. Considering the caliber of opponent and the final score, this might be the most impressive win in NP football history. 

100%. Agree.  This game completely lived up to the hype. Amazing atmosphere, biggest crowd that I have seen at Kelso field.  Both teams left it all on the field.  Thanks to these young men, for an exciting Friday night of football.

• Like 1

Just now, Olympian06 said:

Nobody from New Pal especially that team thinks they won the state title, and that’s the problem for anyone from the North. Focus won’t be an issue. 

I believe that. Ralph is an amazing coach.