Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The long awaited New Pal vs Cathedral matchup

Just now, FastpacedO said:

My favorite Indystar quote of all time came today by Coach Ralph: “He should have worked harder,” New Palestine coach Kyle Ralph joked when told Spegal fell just short of 300 rushing yards.

Lol, that's great. I'm liking this coach more and more. 

17 minutes ago, BTF said:

If New Pal thinks that the state championship was won against Cathedral, then they will lose to the Valpo/Dwenger winner.....................I have no doubt about that. Honestly though, as the best coach in the state, I think Kyle Ralph will have his team mentally prepared. 

Damn, I guessed Wednesday.  That didn’t take long.

I had my money on someone doubting their ability to compete in the MIC “week in and week out.”

7 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

I climbed on this soapbox in our postgame show tonight as we waited for our postgame interview ... but for those who want to downplay New Palestine's schedule, the Dragons have beaten two regional champs this regular season (6A Center Grove 28-9 & 4A Mt. Vernon 49-7). There was another win against Pendleton Heights, a team that beat regional champ MV in the regular season and played them to the wire in the sectional final. I'm not sure too many teams in the state have two wins vs. semistate participants. 

Mt. Vernon beat Pendleton both times. Mt. Vernon’s two losses are to New Pal and Delta (which beat 2 regional champs also)

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Damn, I guessed Wednesday.  That didn’t take long.

I had my money on someone doubting their ability to compete in the MIC “week in and week out.”

Scurry along little one. 

8 hours ago, INHSFootball said:

Will not run away from my bet. I am completely shocked with the outcome of the game. Honestly going into halftime with the score 10-7 i felt confident. The game changer in this game was not going for it on NP 3 yard line, missing the field goal, then NP gets the ball at the 25.... i did not know they moved the ball to the 25. NP coaching staff completely out coached Cathedral staff from halftime and on. Embarrassing for cathedral fans. 

Congrats to New Pal and I see no one coming close to beating them this year, with that being said, after this year they will be in the rebuilding process. But who knows maybe they have another 19 year old star that is going to transfer!!! It would  have been a better game if Cathedral was able to play Markese Stepp tonight who is younger than Speigal... lol just kidding. Hats off to the dragons. Hope for games like tonight in the future. Nothing beats Friday Night lights!

How is it embarrassing for Cathedral fans? You're playing the #1 team in Class 5A one of the best teams in the State. A coaching staff that is 86-4. Their team had some key turnovers forced by New Pal and New Pal took advantage being very opportunistic. I don''t see any of that being embarrassing.at all. Just a tough game between two great teams.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Let me say unequivocally that this person doesn't speak for any of us at NP. Cathedral is a class program with a great fanbase. Tip of the cap to them. Tonight was two good football teams playing a game where the score belied how it was played. Congrats to Cathedral on a great year. That program will be back. Considering the caliber of opponent and the final score, this might be the most impressive win in NP football history. 

Well said, great game and good luck but I think you guys roll over next two opponents.  I would love to see us get a series going in regular season, both programs respect each other well and while Cathedral has a rich tradition history New Pal is in process of doing the same building their legacy into something really special.  Can anyone guess attendance last night?  I don't think I was too far off on my 10K prediction?  Good Luck!

2 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

How is it embarrassing for Cathedral fans? You're playing the #1 team in Class 5A one of the best teams in the State. A coaching staff that is 86-4. Their team had some key turnovers forced by New Pal and New Pal took advantage being very opportunistic. I don''t see any of that being embarrassing.at all. Just a tough game between two great teams.

No shame in losing to New Pal, not only a very talented team but an extremely well-coached but very disciplined team.

That being said, I just think the playing calling left more to be desired. A few examples:

-after New Pal scored on the opening drive, Cathedral didn’t flinch and moved the ball right down the field. After a big 4th down conversion, Cathedral has 1st and G from the 7. After a 5 yard gain up the middle to the 2, Cathedral (with the biggest offensive line in the state) runs a shovel pass. Receiver trips over the back of one of his lineman for a 4 yard loss. They settle for a FG.

-after dominating the first half, Cathedral comes out of halftime and throws an incompletion on 1st down and then an INT on 2nd down. Why not methodically run the ball down New Pal’s throat like they had been doing all game?

-after turning NP over, Cathedral once again methodically drives down the field and has 1st and G. Again, run north and south and not east-west. Punch it in and NP is down 2 scores and in uncharted territory nearing the end of the 3rd quarter.

Credit New Pal, but Cathedral had multiple opportunities to blow that game open and didn’t. You still have to execute, but I don’t think some of the play calling put Cathedral in the best position to win.

9 hours ago, INHSFootball said:

Will not run away from my bet. I am completely shocked with the outcome of the game. Honestly going into halftime with the score 10-7 i felt confident. The game changer in this game was not going for it on NP 3 yard line, missing the field goal, then NP gets the ball at the 25.... i did not know they moved the ball to the 25. NP coaching staff completely out coached Cathedral staff from halftime and on. Embarrassing for cathedral fans. 

Congrats to New Pal and I see no one coming close to beating them this year, with that being said, after this year they will be in the rebuilding process. But who knows maybe they have another 19 year old star that is going to transfer!!! It would  have been a better game if Cathedral was able to play Markese Stepp tonight who is younger than Speigal... lol just kidding. Hats off to the dragons. Hope for games like tonight in the future. Nothing beats Friday Night lights!

You need to look around the state and see how many "19 year olds" are playing basketball.  Never seen so much crying about a kid that is well within IHSAA rules.

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

No shame in losing to New Pal, not only a very talented team but an extremely well-coached but very disciplined team.

That being said, I just think the playing calling left more to be desired. A few examples:

-after New Pal scored on the opening drive, Cathedral didn’t flinch and moved the ball right down the field. After a big 4th down conversion, Cathedral has 1st and G from the 7. After a 5 yard gain up the middle to the 2, Cathedral (with the biggest offensive line in the state) runs a shovel pass. Receiver trips over the back of one of his lineman for a 4 yard loss. They settle for a FG.

-after dominating the first half, Cathedral comes out of halftime and throws an incompletion on 1st down and then an INT on 2nd down. Why not methodically run the ball down New Pal’s throat like they had been doing all game?

-after turning NP over, Cathedral once again methodically drives down the field and has 1st and G. Again, run north and south and not east-west. Punch it in and NP is down 2 scores and in uncharted territory nearing the end of the 3rd quarter.

Credit New Pal, but Cathedral had multiple opportunities to blow that game open and didn’t. You still have to execute, but I don’t think some of the play calling put Cathedral in the best position to win.

They love that shovel pass inside the 5 yard line.  Have all year.  I agree with running the ball more.  And I get why they went for those FG, points were at a premium at the time.  But what a momentum swing. Missed FG, 35 yard pass, long TD run . . . game over!

Edited by CaptainHook

4 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

The love that shovel pass inside the 5 yard line.  Have all year.  I agree with running the ball more.  And I get why they went for those FG, points were at a premium at the time.  But what a momentum swing. Missed FG, 35 yard pass, long TD run . . . game over!

Agree and I don’t get it. They did the same thing against Chatard earlier in the season and it’s part of the reason why they only scored 3 points on 3 red zone trips in the first half. It caught up to them this time.

Edited by Footballking16

On 11/9/2019 at 1:34 PM, Formersaint said:

I have to admit I will not be making the trip down to West Lafayette to watch the Saints. 

I will be watching sitting on my couch with the big screen, but I will have a laptop on watching this game.

I will have to give the edge to Cathedral on this one. With their two losses coming from the #3 and #4 teams in Ohio taking the #3 to overtime, they are truly battle tested!.

GO IRISH! 

I stand corrected! Nice job New Pal!

10 hours ago, George Orwell 2 said:

Spegal is great, no doubt, but, someone needs to talk about that O-line.  The yards after contact are Spegal, but, those long runs were about great blocking.  How many times did you guys fail to set the edge because your DE got hooked?  Answer: a lot.  New Pal won this game at the LOS, both offensively and defensively.  Someone give me an Amen.  

Okay can someone please explain to me how/why Spegal only has two offers - Indiana State and Army?  I am not the most knowledgeable football analyst by any means regarding how size/speed probably means everything regarding moving from HS to college...but good grief doesn't he have both?  If you were a college coach would makes you not want to offer this guy?

24 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Okay can someone please explain to me how/why Spegal only has two offers - Indiana State and Army?  I am not the most knowledgeable football analyst by any means regarding how size/speed probably means everything regarding moving from HS to college...but good grief doesn't he have both?  If you were a college coach would makes you not want to offer this guy?

The answer, while true, would be non-pc. Anyone care to guess?

I’ve obviously heard of him but hadn’t really seen him. I just watched his highlight video from last year on rivals and it honestly gave me chills at certain points, he’s that good. It’s like the young man has a cheat code activated on him during some of those plays.

12 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

None by Cathedral fans that I could see. Save one that amazingly had his first post in this thread. We all know 1906 has been a laughing stock all year. I’m sure he’ll rip something out.

I doubt it. 😉🤣😂

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

-after New Pal scored on the opening drive, Cathedral didn’t flinch and moved the ball right down the field. After a big 4th down conversion, Cathedral has 1st and G from the 7. After a 5 yard gain up the middle to the 2, Cathedral (with the biggest offensive line in the state) runs a shovel pass. Receiver trips over the back of one of his lineman for a 4 yard loss. They settle for a FG..

Irish should have been called for holding on that 4th down conversion. QB would have been sacked but left guard held up enough that he just got the ball released.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Good thing this is 2019 right? 

There is probably no bigger supporter of the Sagarin Ratings than the high school football contingent from the Indianapolis area. And why not? The Sagarin annually is top heavy with Indy area teams. But I suppose his ratings are flawed now since New Pal is only a 3 point favorite over Valpo. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

There is probably no bigger supporter of the Sagarin Ratings than the high school football contingent from the Indianapolis area. And why not? The Sagarin annually is top heavy with Indy area teams. But I suppose his ratings are flawed now since New Pal is only a 3 point favorite over Valpo. 

I don’t look at ratings. I haven’t for years. Are you confident that a team from the north can beat New Pal?