Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hobart vs. New Prairie

It’s official! Russ Radtke will be making an appearance back in Lake County next weekend as upstart Craig Osika looks to put the Brickies back into Semi-State, which was an annual tradition for over a decade. Radtke has his boys emulating the old Radtke led Griffith Panthers as the New Prairie players crowded the 50 yard line during warmups to stare down Plymouth. The Brickie Bowl is a relic of the past. Time for a new era of Brickie football at The Brickyard.

8C35B7D5-A8D9-46AD-8F00-EEEAF1C1F32A.jpeg

The winner will face the winner of the Mississinewa and East Noble game.  Mississinewa beat Delta in the first round of sectionals.  Delta was the heavy favorite to win the sectional and also one of the top Sagarin picks to win the 4A State title.  Mississinewa also beat Marion one of last years Semi-State participants for the Southern Indiana bracket.  

Good Luck to both Hobart and New Prairie in their quest for a Semi-State birth.  

Respectfully disagree with boom, this hobart team can really do it all. Dynamic offense and truly one of the best defenses in the state. Np and Ketterer are awesome but running QB power 30 times wont do it vs this defense. This will be a tough game for both teams after watching nearly every game from both teams my biggest question is how will NP stop Hobarts offense.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:18 PM, Ryan11p said:

Respectfully disagree with boom, this hobart team can really do it all. Dynamic offense and truly one of the best defenses in the state. Np and Ketterer are awesome but running QB power 30 times wont do it vs this defense. This will be a tough game for both teams after watching nearly every game from both teams my biggest question is how will NP stop Hobarts offense.

From the games I have seen, Hobart's defense isn't anything special. They could barley handle CMA's lackluster offense, what makes you think their defense will now be able to stop one of the best offenses in the state. I have New Prairie by 2 scores at least. 

We scrimmaged New Prairie this summer and lawd oh mighty were they huge

I had Andrean vs Hobart on hudl, so saw some of Hobart's defense, it was good, very aggressive.   They will need to find ways to deal with the girth of the foot to foot offense that NP runs.  They are just fine getting their 4 yards a pop then springing one here and there.   

Should be a slobberknocker 

On 11/9/2019 at 11:18 PM, Ryan11p said:

The stats certainly don’t suggest that Hobart is an offensive juggernaut.  Solid sure, but not an offense that makes you say how can it be stopped.

Getting to a 10-2 record obviously means you have a good team.  Which wins on the schedule would you consider quality wins?

As for the QB power 30 times, sometimes it just takes 6 or 7.  Ask any Mishawaka fan.

4 hours ago, Footballfan78 said:

From the games I have seen, Hobart's defense isn't anything special. They could barley handle CMA's lackluster offense, what makes you think their defense will now be able to stop one of the best offenses in the state. I have New Prairie by 2 scores at least. 

The CMA game was a turning point for this team I suggest you watch every game after CMA then decide what u think of Hobarts Defense. I have watched every New Prairie and Hobart game, like I said before not sure New Prairie can stop Hobarts offense. Size wise hobart matches up well and there isnt a team in the state with 4 better LBs than hobart. I have alot of respect for NP and honestly think the state champion comes from this game. In regards to the latest response from Npfan, NP beating Penn and Mishawaka is great very impressive, and no doubt ketterer is incredible. As far as quality wins for Hobart, I would say they both have them Andrean, Lowell x2 and Morton are all good wins. I never suggested hobart has this unstoppable offense but NP hasnt stopped many teams from scoring. Elkhart Central made NPs d look bad several times. The only team that stopped hobart is merrillville let me tell ya NP D is not Merrillvilles D. But let's save the post and see Friday night. 

4 hours ago, Ryan11p said:

I would say they both have them Andrean, Lowell x2 and Morton are all good wins. I never suggested hobart has this unstoppable offense but NP hasnt stopped many teams from scoring. Elkhart Central made NPs d look bad several times. The only team that stopped hobart is merrillville let me tell ya NP D is not Merrillvilles D. But let's save the post and see Friday night. 

Andrean is a quality win for sure. But Lowell appeared to be average at best this season and Morton played one of the worst schedules in 4a. Real tough time calling those quality wins. 

EC had a real good offense anchored by D1 running back. No shame in losing to a 5a team that was a few points away from being 12-0 right now. 

Maybe I don’t know enough about Hobarts defense (haven’t heard anyone talk about it all year) but it’s just difficult for me to think NP won’t put up some big numbers on the board like they have all year. The Cougars are much more than a great quarterback. They have multiple weapons around the field and can get you in different ways, they just haven’t had to use them that much. 

47 minutes ago, NP89 said:

What's the Brickies best recommendation for 🍕 and 🍺 in Hobart?

Gelsosomo's - US6 and County Line Rd 2.9 mi from HHS

AJ's Pizza - South of Chesterton on 49, near the toll road entrance. Good selection of craft beer.

• Thanks 1

I am really looking forward to Friday nights game.  A New Prairie win will indeed move coach Russ Radke to #2 in all time coaching wins ahead of Jerry Brewer as at the conclusion of the sectional championship win over Plymouth the New Prairie PA announcer stated that he was tied at #2.

I'm stopping off at Lincoln's Carry Out for a couple of sandwiches before the game.

coachingwins01.jpg

Should be a great game. Don’t see a blow out either way.  

New Prairie has played the tougher schedule, but,  Merrillville, Chesterton, Andrean, Morton and a scrimmage against Valpo has prepared Hobart for anyone. 
There was a comment about Hobart D against CMA..well they gave up 14 in regulation and 2 fgs  and a Tuddy in  The 3 overtime’s. 
Early in the season Hobarts offense struggled a bit and the D was on the field A LOT...held Chesterton to 7 until 5 mins left in the game. 2 50/50 balls landed in Chesterton hands for the win.  Merrillville was held to 8 pts. Until midway through the 3rd and they were on the field the whole time.  
I think Hobart is like plus twenty some in turnovers. They are a big play defense. 
Nasty against spread teams....and that’s where we’ll see if they can do it against foot to foot hogs running right at them. 

The CMA game is the outlier between these teams ( they both beat Andrean by same score)

CMA knocked out Hobart’s QB out in the game as well. When NP played them Culver was missing some guys from what I was told. Not that that matters. But can the score can get big in a team with little depth. 

Hobart has some big time playmakers at WR, RB, Qb on offense. The line has improved they have a way of getting 2-3 yards until those same  plays get 6-7....then They start breaking. 

Defensively there are playmakers all over the place...but this is a different look than they have seen so it should be interesting to see how they respond. 

2016 they met, records similar, NP beat Andrean, Hobart got beat by Andrean. Neither Sagarin,  or people gave Hobart a chance but the Bricks won by 3 tds. I don’t see that happening this time,  I think this will be a great game. 

for Pizza Gelsosomos like mentioned, or Ts pizza. 

2 hours ago, NP89 said:

What's the Brickies best recommendation for 🍕 and 🍺 in Hobart?

Mr. Ts pizza https://www.tspizzahobart.com/ 

Right near downtown on 3rd street. Good wings too.

As far as game goes.. this one could go either way. If you take away points scored on JV or turnovers the Brickies Defense would have shutout the whole conference. Andrean scores 10 in the last 1:20 of game. Lowell scores 7 with a minute left. KV scores on a fumble by the bricks offense on the first play of the game. There defense has been fun to watch. +27 on takeaway margin as a team. On the other hand NP brings a different style of play into town Friday. Bricks are going to have to play bigger than there size, if they want to match up.CMA game is a wash. Brickies had 9 seniors become eligible week 4 and they didnt really start playing until week 5. 5 of those 9 are starters I believe, with the other 4 contributing often. The Brickies offense has found a rythm. As mentioned above they will keep prodding getting 3-4 yards... then those turn to 7 then hit big.. it should be a fun game to watch. In my eyes the Brickies are the underdog anyway you look at it. Still could be a decent November game.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:29 PM, Raven67 said:

If you take away points scored on JV or turnovers the Brickies Defense would have shutout the whole conference. 

I think this says more about the conference than Hobart’s defense.  Again I haven’t seen them play and maybe they are that solid.   Not to be disrespectful, but shutting out Highland twice, Munster, Griffith, and a down Lowell team just not really that impressive.  As they say though you play who is on the schedule and the Brickies did the job against those schools.  Only time will tell.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:29 PM, Raven67 said:

Brickies had 9 seniors become eligible week 4 and they didnt really start playing until week 5. 5 of those 9 are starters I believe, with the other 4 contributing often.

That is a pretty interesting bit of info.  Getting almost a quarter of their starters back gave a boost to second half of the season I’m sure.

1 hour ago, dfscrusher7 said:

I haven't seen anyone say anything about Hobart's speed on defense, its a difference maker in my opinion. We will see tomorrow night.

il_340x270.1753595826_pamj.jpg

Im sorry but from what I've seen their defense isn't really that fast. Certainly not fast enough to slow down ketterer and those big lineman. Cougars by 14.

You clearly need to watch more film Bobby Babcock is faster than any player on Np, and he plays Linebacker. All these Np fans say "from what I've seen" or "from the games I've watched" then they talk about the CMA game it's crazy. If you havent watched more than 1 game why comment. This guy saying Hobarts D isnt fast is silly ask Merrillville and Morton if they are fast. News flash both those teams are full of kids faster than anyone on Np including ketterer. At least Hobart fans know what they are talking about.

1 hour ago, Ryan11p said:

At least Hobart fans know what they are talking about.

Can these Hobart fans please answer a few questions for me then? Which team played a tougher schedule? Which team has a better record? Which team has the best player on field? Which team is ranked higher in EVERY poll and computer ranking? 

I’m sure Hobart is good and could win this game. But holy crap, you guys are making it seem like NP doesn’t know what a football is. Looking forward to what should be a good game tomorrow

1 hour ago, npcougar15 said:

Can these Hobart fans please answer a few questions for me then? Which team played a tougher schedule? Which team has a better record? Which team has the best player on field? Which team is ranked higher in EVERY poll and computer ranking? 

I’m sure Hobart is good and could win this game. But holy crap, you guys are making it seem like NP doesn’t know what a football is. Looking forward to what should be a good game tomorrow

Np and Coach Radtke know football I'm suggesting your fan base isnt acting very educated on football. So to answer your questions, schedule Np played and beat the worst Penn team I have seen, mishawaka is clearly rebuilding, and you lost to Elkhart central. Then you smoke a bunch of south bend schools with little to no talent. This tougher schedule you played was a combined 63-68. Out of both teams Hobart actually played the best team in a losing effort against Merrillville who is better than any team NP played also combined Hobarts opponents were 68-62 on the season so to me its arguable. Better record is a wash since only this game really matters. Its impossible to know of the teams switched schedules who would have a better record. But I bet both teams lose to Merrillville. Best player most likely Ketterer but last time I checked it takes 11 on O and 11 on D to win. And overall I think hobart has more players. I hope and pray that the actual team has your mindset in regards to what it takes to win these games. 1 player has never won a football game. As far as the polls go, I invite you to look at the final media and coaches polls,  take a hard look at the top teams in each class before sectionals started most of them didnt even win sectionals. Now a quick question for you how many Hobart games have you actually watched. I have seen all of NPs and all of Hobarts. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 4:24 PM, NPFan said:

I think this says more about the conference than Hobart’s defense.  Again I haven’t seen them play and maybe they are that solid.   Not to be disrespectful, but shutting out Highland twice, Munster, Griffith, and a down Lowell team just not really that impressive.  As they say though you play who is on the schedule and the Brickies did the job against those schools.  Only time will tell.

That is a pretty interesting bit of info.  Getting almost a quarter of their starters back gave a boost to second half of the season I’m sure.

Hate to say i told ya so but I TOLD YA SO On to semistate go Brickies

• Like 1

Kudos to Hobart they just flat out put a whipping on NP. Hobart is real good and they just played out of their minds last night. Defense was one of the most active defenses I’d ever seen and NPs lack of deception let them run wild. Your kicker was phenomenal and put NP in terrible position all night long. Offense was EXTREMELY good at faking hand offs. Just all around seemed like a perfect storm for Hobart. Every big play went their way (scoop and score, pick before the half). If Hobart plays like that the next 2 games. They are your state champs. 

• Like 2