Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Elkhart High School-Who Would You Want?

Now that both Elkhart schools are done, I wanted to pose a question that has been rolling around my head for a while. This consolidation or whatever it is called is not something that happens often, so it presents its own set of challenges. It is a new school and team but, then again, it kind of isn't. They are starting a football program but, then again, they kind of aren't. Everybody always talks about the athletic hotbed Elkhart is, but then they were around the top in umemployment in the nation a couple years ago I think, so that has another layer of hurdles. There have been a couple instances of this happening before in Indiana but the pool of people who have experience taking over this kind of situation isn't very deep. My question is this: if you are the people in charge, who are the coaches in Indiana you would chase? Who would you have to recruit and make say no over and over for you to rest easy at night? Or maybe not limited to Indiana but who are the "local" ones who would have the best chance to take control of the Elkhart situation and run with it?

I would keep the guy they have at Central.  Consolidation is tough enough.  Why go out and bring in an unknown.  I am not sure why some corporations consolidate and change everything and others stick with their original school

Anderson closed Highland and Madison Heights and kept everything Anderson

Kokomo closed Haworth and it stayed Kokomo

East Chicago closed Roosevelt and Washington into EC Central

Mich City closed Elston and merged with Rogers and went back to M City which is how everyone knew Elston

SOuth Bend closed Central and LaSalle stayed with everything the same

I am going to miss the Blue Blazers because that was Elkhart for so long

• Like 1

During the recession Elkhart county had the highest unemployment in the country but routinely is lowest when the economy is booming like it is now.   My guess is Centrals coach takes over, and Memorials either looks for a new gig or transitions to assistant, at least during the first year.  Tough decision because both staffs have really built great programs at their own schools.  I think the Lions will have the potential to become a  6A powerhouse in the north almost immediately. 

52 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

I would keep the guy they have at Central.  Consolidation is tough enough.  Why go out and bring in an unknown.  I am not sure why some corporations consolidate and change everything and others stick with their original school

Anderson closed Highland and Madison Heights and kept everything Anderson

Kokomo closed Haworth and it stayed Kokomo

East Chicago closed Roosevelt and Washington into EC Central

Mich City closed Elston and merged with Rogers and went back to M City which is how everyone knew Elston

SOuth Bend closed Central and LaSalle stayed with everything the same

I am going to miss the Blue Blazers because that was Elkhart for so long

I like the Coachmen as a nod to the RV industry.  

• Haha 1

I was teaching at Michigan City the year before and the first year they merged.

Coaching was first based on years coaching in MC (union rules).  Coaches were from both programs.  The best thing they did was get rid of former school colors and nicknames.  During the first football game, they had the red devil and raider leave Ames Field then the Wolf made his appearance.  It was a great start.

When Central and LaSalle were axed, the students had their choice where to go.  It took a while for them to assimilate to the other schools.

I wish Elkhart the best with their transition.

I think I wasn't clear when I posted. I didn't mean which current coach should get it. I was asking who would be somebody you would make a run at if you were in charge. Maybe you really would just give it to one of the guys there already. Just seems like that could be a prime job. I don't know the current coaches they are probably great guys. One has a nice looking resume but hasn't seemed to win in Elkhart. One just had a great year but doesn't have a glowing overall record and hasn't won anything. I am not trying to slight anybody I don't know any other way to say that.

Just seems like there are some guys they would want to make a run at like the New Palestine guy? Lafayette Jeff? Northwood? Michigan City? Would Bart Ball work at a place like Elkhart? I don't know there are probably a bunch more who I don't even know about. That's what I was asking. If you are the AD, who is your wish list? It's just meant as a hypothetical. 

• Like 1

I can't say what the right thing to do is in awarding the coaching job, but this area has been looking for a powerhouse program at the top level ever since Geesman retired at Penn.  Elkhart High School has a chance if they do it right.  

2 minutes ago, SpreadEmNShredEm said:

I think I wasn't clear when I posted. I didn't mean which current coach should get it. I was asking who would be somebody you would make a run at if you were in charge. Maybe you really would just give it to one of the guys there already. Just seems like that could be a prime job. I don't know the current coaches they are probably great guys. One has a nice looking resume but hasn't seemed to win in Elkhart. One just had a great year but doesn't have a glowing overall record and hasn't won anything. I am not trying to slight anybody I don't know any other way to say that.

Just seems like there are some guys they would want to make a run at like the New Palestine guy? Lafayette Jeff? Northwood? Michigan City? Would Bart Ball work at a place like Elkhart? I don't know there are probably a bunch more who I don't even know about. That's what I was asking. If you are the AD, who is your wish list? It's just meant as a hypothetical. 

I'd certainly open the job up.  You never know who might be interested.  No reason not to see what all the options are.  As long as the process isn't too drawn out, you're probably not going to lose candidates.  

I have to think elk memorial hc shaw has to be close to retirement. Think the guy elk central coach (Not sure name) will be the obvious front runner. 

Don’t think they would ever leave Rensselaer, but would love to see coach Meeks and Nowlin and company take their run at a big school like Elkhart. Their offense is always fun to watch.

• Like 1