Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Heritage Hills 12-0 at Lawrenceburg 11-1

Mayor Nowlin - Now is the time to make the PBS-type pledge drive comment...

"If you enjoy this show, please consider becoming a booster so that WGID can continue to provide you and your family with this and other quality programs.."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TommyTwoTimes said:

Is that true though??  One regional in 34 years??   Really not a lot of tradition then eh?

I'm just saying from reading Bozo's posts I would have thought Lawrenceville made a steady run for a state championship every other year.  Or at least a Grand Prize Game or two.

1 hour ago, tango said:

Mayor Nowlin - Now is the time to make the PBS-type pledge drive comment...

"If you enjoy this show, please consider becoming a booster so that WGID can continue to provide you and your family with this and other quality programs.."

Yea.   WHAT HE SAID!!!! 

Always accepting said donations 

I enjoyed the personal touch of the Stink One especially the hash tag #FreeZ 🤣

Regarding the Lawrenceburg tradition...

According to the late legendary coach Dick Meador...his 1977 team was better than the 1975 or 1978 team that both won championships. In 1977 an ineligible player had been discovered to have been on the team due to a clerical error. The problem was discovered in-house and turned into the IHSAA. The result was that L'burg was forced to forfeit their first 7 wins and thus did not make the playoffs that year despite finishing the season ranked #1 in the AP poll with a record of 3-7.

At any rate, you can go through the Harrell lists and you won't find too many football teams with more than 19 sectional championships and 5 championship game appearances. (I am proud to say that I have attended all of them in one manner or another.)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TheLip2 said:

Regarding the Lawrenceburg tradition...

According to the late legendary coach Dick Meador...his 1977 team was better than the 1975 or 1978 team that both won championships. In 1977 an ineligible player had been discovered to have been on the team due to a clerical error. The problem was discovered in-house and turned into the IHSAA. The result was that L'burg was forced to forfeit their first 7 wins and thus did not make the playoffs that year despite finishing the season ranked #1 in the AP poll with a record of 3-7.

At any rate, you can go through the Harrell lists and you won't find too many football teams with more than 19 sectional championships and 5 championship game appearances. (I am proud to say that I have attended all of them in one manner or another.)

Lip,

I played against that ‘77 Tiger team for Brookville and the late HOF Coach Joe Codiano.  We played that game at Brookville.  Both Lawrenceburg and Brookville were undefeated at the time and both were ranked - I believe it was probably 5-6th game of the season. Tigers were No. 1 and the Greyhounds were No.4-6 (can’t remember....and didn’t even know they ranked HS teams until I saw it in the paper) in a bigger class per the Enquirer.  Since Southeast Indiana wasn’t exactly rife with a lot of ranked teams it got good coverage in the Cincy Enquirer and they (apparently)  had  a reporter and photographer there.

We ran the Houston veer offense and passed maybe 2-3 times per game.  We had been getting stuffed the whole game and, in ABSOLUTE desperation, I was sent downfield on a streak route and somehow miraculously ended up catching  (probably) a 60 yd pass.  I thought I was in the clear but the safety for the Tigers ran me down like I was running through concrete. Ended up being the longest single gain we had that night, I believe.  I also, had an open field tackle of Bryan Way (?) that ended up as a feature picture of the game in the Enquirer that my Mom still has in an old scrapbook (probably the only tackle I had in the game).  We were beat soundly that night - can’t remember the final score.  That was one helluva Tiger team, though.  We were pretty solid and they laid waste to us.

Found out 2-3 weeks afterwards that Lawrenceburg had to forfeit the game and we were (at least technically) undefeated.  We were 9-0 the last game at Aurora - at Aurora HS’s last football game ever.  If we won, we were in the playoffs (however they figured them in those days).  We lead the whole game and through some bad decisions and equally bad execution found ourselves up 2 points with seconds left on the clock after Aurora had scored late on a desperation heave.  I was a corner when I bit on the wrong que and my assignment got a 2 point conversion and sent it into OT.   Furious, Coach yanked me out in OT. They ran the exact same play in OT against my sub and scored easily....winning the game.

No playoffs.  Long bus ride home.  Season over.  Funny thing is, I can’t hardly remember anything about the other 8 games we won that year.

Yeah, I remember the ‘77 EIAC season like it was yesterday.

Apologies for the digression.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 5:09 PM, TheLip2 said:

Lawrenceburg won the East Central game against Harrison in almost every statistical area except the final score and turnovers. 

Yes, Lawrenceburg should have been up at halftime of the EC game.  They controlled the ball the whole first half and moved up and down the field but couldn't punch it in the endzone, and EC's 2 TD's were the result of bad tackling when they had the RB stopped but none of the 4-5 defenders wrapped up and the RB bounced out and ran 50+ yards for a TD, and a blown coverage where L'burg didn't cover an EC WR and they just threw it to him and he ran about 65 yards untouched!  EC was lucky that game but it was the first game of the year, but EC came out and basically shut down L'burg in the 2nd half and then got their offense rolling.    

22 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

.....EC 6-3 to 7-2 in this PAC conference this year, cause those Top 3 in the PAC are no joke

No Way!!!  P74, you must have sustained too many concussions riding the Raven at Holiday World!  Not taking anything away from the top 3 teams in the PAC, but to say EC would be 1-2 or 0-3 vs them this year is ridiculous!  I'm sure the top 3 teams in the PAC are no joke but so is EC!  For arguments sake I'd say EC would be 3-0 or 2-1.  EC's defense was too good this year!

22 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Due to a reshuffling of observer assignments, turns out I will be in the house at Lawrenceburg Saturday evening. I’d love to meet some GIDers and put some faces with these screen names.

IHSAA sending you via Commuter Plane?  Probably cheaper than your mileage check you are getting!!! 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

IHSAA sending you via Commuter Plane?  Probably cheaper than your mileage check you are getting!!! 

At $0.25/mi., I don't think so. I'll eat more than that at the concession stand. :classic_tongue:

22 minutes ago, StinkTownClown said:

Bobref, Bobref, Bobref 1.2.3. 

just look for us we might be dressed like our favorite peeps!

If we can get @Impartial_Observer here now we can all sit down and have a drink!

Image result for football referee as clown

Where did you come by that picture of @Impartial_Observer? :classic_blink:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, StinkTownClown said:

Boom, Boom, Boom 1.2.3.

the Crew & STC will have the turf clean!

Popcorn we got that to, it goes real well with Tiger Booze.

But we hear TommyTwoTimes likes hot dogs

We got those in two sizes Jumbo  & Regular y'all!

Definitely more into tacos than anything else... 

• Haha 1