Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Regional: Mater Dei @ Triton Central

On 11/10/2019 at 4:58 PM, oldtimeqb said:

In years past I always thought JH’s prediction was simply the Sagarin rankings - maybe the predictor? It was completely a computer result with no human input. 

But this year the results seem all over the board, which makes me wonder.

It's not and never have been. The picks are likely Sagarin mixed in with Harrels opinion. Maybe he has a formula, but I am not aware. 

18 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

With the relative ease the Wildcats have had the last two weeks  between my beloved Miners and the North Knox Warriors---  will not having been in a tight battle hurt MD come this weekend? 

No. Mater Dei played a 3A/4A city schedule in the SIAC. They'll be fine and have THE most disciplined coach in the state. I foresee no problems on that or the traveling fronts. 

50 minutes ago, tango said:

Visiting team picks the day.  Home team picks the time.  This could the kind of snarky decision that comes back to bite TC.  MD doesn't need any extra motivation.  They are always a very motivated team who will play hard for 48 minutes no matter the opponent or the score, but it is certainly the kind of thing that Coach Goebel can use to get ticked off more than usual...  As an example, when we played Lawrenceburg in 2018 in Regional, we picked 4pm.  It's a courtesy thing IMO.  We shall see...

Just about the same drive from MD to Lucas Oil. If they make it to the State Final, it's a noon EST kickoff. Will need to get there a lot earlier than they will at TC this week. Good practice for them.

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Just about the same drive from MD to Lucas Oil. If they make it to the State Final, it's a noon EST kickoff. Will need to get there a lot earlier than they will at TC this week. Good practice for them.

If MD makes LOS, I would bet good money they will go up the night before.  We did in 2017 and 2018.  When you are 3 hours away and playing the early game, it is almost impossible to go up the day of the state game.    

20 minutes ago, tango said:

If MD makes LOS, I would bet good money they will go up the night before.  We did in 2017 and 2018.  When you are 3 hours away and playing the early game, it is almost impossible to go up the day of the state game.    

Did you feel that was a bush league move by the IHSAA to schedule you for the early game?

Just now, gonzoron said:

Did you feel that was a bush league move by the IHSAA to schedule you for the early game?

I don't think I've used the term "bush league".  In 2008 & 2009 we played the early game as the 3A school (1A & 2A were on Friday night and there was no 6A).  In 2017 & 2018 we played at 2:30 CST, which was the second game of the day in both cases.  We could have driven up in the morning the last 2 years, but a long bus ride takes its toll and lack of proper place to have pregame meal for a group of 80+ is a logistical challenge.  Be it far from me to characterize any decision of the fine folks at the IHSAA as "bush."   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tango said:

I don't think I've used the term "bush league".   Be it far from me to characterize any decision of the fine folks at the IHSAA as "bush."   

You're correct,  you used "snarky":

4 hours ago, tango said:

Visiting team picks the day.  Home team picks the time.  This could the kind of snarky decision that comes back to bite TC.  MD doesn't need any extra motivation.  They are always a very motivated team who will play hard for 48 minutes no matter the opponent or the score, but it is certainly the kind of thing that Coach Goebel can use to get ticked off more than usual...  As an example, when we played Lawrenceburg in 2018 in Regional, we picked 4pm.  It's a courtesy thing IMO.  We shall see...

@jets used "busch-league":

4 hours ago, jets said:

Kind of a busch-league kind of thing for TC to do, in my opinion. 

Do you feel it's a "snarky" decision by the IHSAA to schedule early State Championship games for teams who have almost a 3 hour travel time to Lucas Oil?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jets said:

Kind of a busch-league kind of thing for TC to do, in my opinion. 

Did it occur to you that maybe the AD’s decided this together.  Two class programs, I can’t see pettiness between.  Disclaimer I didn’t check with the ADs to confirm 😀

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Do you feel it's a "snarky" decision by the IHSAA to schedule early State Championship games for teams who have almost a 3 hour travel time to Lucas Oil?

No.  Be it far from me to characterize any decision of the fine folks at the IHSAA as snarky.  LOL.  I get why the IHSAA uses the schedule of 1/3/5 & 2/4/6 (alternating days as they do).  I'm not even complaining about that.  It does, however, put an added burden on teams in the smaller classes who have considerable drives.  Bringing a football team, coaching staff, team support, etc. involves unique logistics.  You can't just drop into a Subway off the interstate and feed that many people at once and the time to get into LOS and get to the locker room, etc. is a longer process than earlier rounds. 

50 minutes ago, Fast Eddy 14 said:

Did it occur to you that maybe the AD’s decided this together.  Two class programs, I can’t see pettiness between.  Disclaimer I didn’t check with the ADs to confirm 😀

Maybe they did, but from what MDAlum82 posted yesterday, the message from MD's AD seems to convey a mild level of surprise (at least to me) meaning the "we just learned..." part..

35 minutes ago, lp3coda said:

Good teams deal with it.  Great teams improvise, adapt, and overcome. 

No question.  And I for one fully expect MD to do that come Saturday...

1 hour ago, Fast Eddy 14 said:

I’m gonna go ahead and venture a guess that wasn’t the case. 

1 hour ago, tango said:

No.  Be it far from me to characterize any decision of the fine folks at the IHSAA as snarky.  LOL.  I get why the IHSAA uses the schedule of 1/3/5 & 2/4/6 (alternating days as they do).  I'm not even complaining about that.  It does, however, put an added burden on teams in the smaller classes who have considerable drives.  Bringing a football team, coaching staff, team support, etc. involves unique logistics.  You can't just drop into a Subway off the interstate and feed that many people at once and the time to get into LOS and get to the locker room, etc. is a longer process than earlier rounds. 

Exactly. So the drive to Fairland with no Friday night rush hour or Black Friday holiday traffic should be a piece of cake!

Here is the most likely reason the game was scheduled at Noon, don't think there's anything snarky or bush league about it. Maybe you folks could stick around to watch one of the best girls basketball teams in the State.

Eastern Hancock (1-0) at Triton Central (2-0)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET.
COACHES: Shari Doud, 45-29 in 4th year at Eastern Hancock, 244-115 in 16th year overall. Bryan Graham, 218-50 in 12th year at Triton Central.
LAST SEASON'S SAGARIN RATINGS: Triton Central, 85.96, 28th overall, 2nd in 2A. Eastern Hancock, 59.63, 190th overall, 42nd in 2A.
SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: No meetings.
PREDICTION: Triton Central, 56-55.
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, gonzoron said:

The IHSAA provides some money for a hotel for the State Championship game so if a team needs to stay overnight it is not as big of a problem. 

11 hours ago, sr1 said:

The IHSAA provides some money for a hotel for the State Championship game so if a team needs to stay overnight it is not as big of a problem. 

Which means $1,500 max for lodging.  No food.  I believe Southridge and Memorial stayed at the same hotel in 2017, right? 

12 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Probably do that because someone whined in the past.

In regards to the “whine” comment, keep in mind the reality for most smaller schools is they simply do not have an extra few thousand $ in the budget, hence the “whining”.  Many, if not most, small school sports programs lose money and rely on "revenue" sports like football, basketball, etc. to generate the extra funds needed to support their other programs.  60 players would likely require 30 rooms, plus rooms for coaches & support staff, including chaperones, etc.  Using an $75 avg cost per room, add a couple of meals for ~ 70 people @ $10 each and the costs have already risen past $4,000, not including buses, fuel, and other misc costs.  That is not an insignificant amount to many small school athletic dept budgets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, tango said:

I don't think I've used the term "bush league".  In 2008 & 2009 we played the early game as the 3A school (1A & 2A were on Friday night and there was no 6A).  In 2017 & 2018 we played at 2:30 CST, which was the second game of the day in both cases.  We could have driven up in the morning the last 2 years, but a long bus ride takes its toll and lack of proper place to have pregame meal for a group of 80+ is a logistical challenge.  Be it far from me to characterize any decision of the fine folks at the IHSAA as "bush."   

Ain't some from Paradise? Probably just want to win Catholic hearts and minds on the Westside. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, tango said:

But a couple of phone calls can do wonders for a restaurant that can get some broasted chicken together.  🙂

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Ain't some from Paradise? Probably just want to win Catholic hearts and minds on the Westside. 

You lost me.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

But a couple of phone calls can do wonders for a restaurant that can get some broasted chicken together.  🙂

Ah yes, fried chicken.  Always on the pregame meal along with nachos and milkshakes... LOL

26 minutes ago, tango said:

You lost me.

Ah yes, fried chicken.  Always on the pregame meal along with nachos and milkshakes... LOL

I was thinking about after the game...my bad.  Fazoli's??  Any restaurant would love to have that phone call.  Not hard to put together. 

Edited by Robert