Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Regional: Mater Dei @ Triton Central

11 minutes ago, Footballfan78 said:

I havent really seen the hype in Mater Dei. Maybe that changes if they win this game.

Not certain what “hype” you are referencing with your comment but my follow up would be to ask if you have seen them play; live, in-person, on tape, at all?  Have you read a newspaper article on them, checked out a box score?  Hard to evaluate any team without some base line perspective.  

• Like 1

There hasn't been much hype around Mater Dei since the Schiffs broke every state passing record in the late 90s and 2000s.

But Mater Dei doesn't need hype to be one of the Top 3 2A teams year in and out. They are extremely disciplined, conditioned, and well coached. When they get a stud or two, it's an automatic state finals birth. Cover the seams and flats while trying to contain a physical running attack is the difficulty in defending them. Defensively, they will bend and count on you to break. Solid special teams. It's a formula that has worked for one of the best coaches ever to step on the field in Indiana. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Footballfan78 said:

Well obviously i wasnt serious about them crushing them. I do believe Triton can win this game. I havent really seen the hype in Mater Dei. Maybe that changes if they win this game.

Hype?  You need to take off the blindfold and maybe look up what that word means.  Mater Dei's schedule:  two 5A teams, four 4A teams, two 3A teams, and only ONE 2A team.  TC's schedule:  two 3A teams, five 2A teams and one 1A team to which TC lost.  Mater Dei's SOS is 124 while TC's is 185.  Mater Dei went 7 - 2 against that schedule only losing to 5A Castle (on the road) 13 - 0 and 10 - 3 at home against 4A Memorial who is still in the 4A tournament.  Mater Dei beat #6 ranked Evansville Central (ON THE ROAD) 10 - 7 in the 8th game of the season.  I don't know where you come up with "hype".  The facts are in the numbers.  Their defense is the strength of the team. and their kicker is the best I've seen this year.  What is TC's best win, 3A Greensburg, the 32nd ranked 3A team?  TC has nothing that Mater Dei hasn't already seen.  Athletes?  They've played against good ones.  Offense?  They've beaten good ones.  Defenses?  They've scored on good ones.  Sorry, but there is NO "hype" surrounding Mater Dei.  I'm telling you they are THAT good.  Oh they still have to play the game.  It's just a formality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There's a couple of Linton-Stockton fans (they are reminding me so much of Pioneer fans) around here that apparently don't think anyone north of Bloomington can play football so they may have prematurely written in MD as the 2A finalist but they certainly look capable of doing that.  I'm a little surprised when teams like Triton Central, Western Boone, and Heritage Christian are so easily dismissed though.  That may be where the "hype" statement originated from, I'm not sure.  But MD is certainly a threat and I think most everyone here would agree with that.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Hype?  You need to take off the blindfold and maybe look up what that word means.  Mater Dei's schedule:  two 5A teams, four 4A teams, two 3A teams, and only ONE 2A team.  TC's schedule:  two 3A teams, five 2A teams and one 1A team to which TC lost.  Mater Dei's SOS is 124 while TC's is 185.  Mater Dei went 7 - 2 against that schedule only losing to 5A Castle (on the road) 13 - 0 and 10 - 3 at home against 4A Memorial who is still in the 4A tournament.  Mater Dei beat #6 ranked Evansville Central (ON THE ROAD) 10 - 7 in the 8th game of the season.  I don't know where you come up with "hype".  The facts are in the numbers.  Their defense is the strength of the team. and their kicker is the best I've seen this year.  What is TC's best win, 3A Greensburg, the 32nd ranked 3A team?  TC has nothing that Mater Dei hasn't already seen.  Athletes?  They've played against good ones.  Offense?  They've beaten good ones.  Defenses?  They've scored on good ones.  Sorry, but there is NO "hype" surrounding Mater Dei.  I'm telling you they are THAT good.  Oh they still have to play the game.  It's just a formality.

I guess I just don’t believe in the hype around the state. Watched some film, and they look sloppy. Sorry it’s just what I see as an outsider looking in. Let’s let the players do the talking instead of typing an entire book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XStar said:

There's a couple of Linton-Stockton fans (they are reminding me so much of Pioneer fans) around here that apparently don't think anyone north of Bloomington can play football...

That's funny because there have been times the feeling down here was that people north of Bloomington didn't think anyone south of Bloomington could play ball..  Which begs an interesting question, why is the "line of disrespect" Bloomington?   

1 hour ago, Footballfan78 said:

I guess I just don’t believe in the hype around the state. Watched some film, and they look sloppy. Sorry it’s just what I see as an outsider looking in. Let’s let the players do the talking instead of typing an entire book. 

I'm still confused on the whole "hype" thing.  Who is hyping MD besides the folks down here who feel they are a solid team and capable of making a nice tournament run?

Edited by tango
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Footballfan78 said:

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

At least for 2A, there's a line of counties that span the state for which there are no current 2A teams.  The line starts with Vigo county on the Illinois border and stretches to Franklin county on the Ohio border.  Monroe County is in the middle of that line and Bloomington is probably the most notable city of any in that line (Vigo-Clay-Owen-Monroe-Brown-Bartholomew-Decatur-Franklin) so perhaps that is why it is used as the mythical dividing line.  There are only 15 2A schools below that line, so one school had to be sent from above that line to below that line to play in sectionals and that happened to be Triton Central this cycle. 

In fairness, even 10 years ago it used to be kind of tough to live in one part of the state and follow programs in another.  But the truth is that in the era we live in now with some teams broadcasting their entire season on YouTube, streaming radio all over the place, and the use of Twitter and message boards to spread scores and information, there is no good excuse to not be aware of other programs across the state if you want to be aware of them.  I was sitting in my house on November 1 watching 3 different 2A games on YouTube (MD vs Linton-Stockton, Western Boone vs North Putnam, and Eastside vs FW Luers) while listening to Eastbrook and Tipton play through a radio stream and occasionally checking Twitter to monitor a number of other games from different areas and classes.  If you want to follow programs from anywhere in the state, it's not hard.  If you want to only focus on the few good teams in your area, that's even easier.  

48 minutes ago, tango said:

That's funny because there have been times the feeling down here was that people north of Bloomington didn't think anyone south of Bloomington could play ball..  Which begs an interesting question, why is the "line of disrespect" Bloomington?   

“The Line of Disrespect” - One of the pithiest and, yet, most astute observations/questions I have ever seen on the GID.

I would suggest that there is probably another line somewhere around Lafayette based on certain other Northerly grumbles I have heard over the years as well.

For the record, Tango, consider that phrase stolen.  

Edited by Lysander
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Footballfan78 said:

Believe it or not, I thought the same thing. They proved me wrong. Good luck to both teams this Friday. I feel like the team with the least amount of turnovers wins this game.

4 hours ago, Footballfan78 said:

Number aren't hype.  Numbers don't lie.  Strength of schedule doesn't lie.   Was that film of TC?   

17 hours ago, XStar said:

In fairness, even 10 years ago it used to be kind of tough to live in one part of the state and follow programs in another.  But the truth is that in the era we live in now with some teams broadcasting their entire season on YouTube, streaming radio all over the place, and the use of Twitter and message boards to spread scores and information, there is no good excuse to not be aware of other programs across the state if you want to be aware of them.  I was sitting in my house on November 1 watching 3 different 2A games on YouTube (MD vs Linton-Stockton, Western Boone vs North Putnam, and Eastside vs FW Luers) while listening to Eastbrook and Tipton play through a radio stream and occasionally checking Twitter to monitor a number of other games from different areas and classes.  If you want to follow programs from anywhere in the state, it's not hard.  If you want to only focus on the few good teams in your area, that's even easier.  

Any chance someone from TC, maybe their "Media Club" etc, will be streaming the game on YouTube or some other online source tomorrow?  

2 hours ago, Cappy said:

I'll take the visiting Wildcats to win by a couple scores in this one, Boring, McGrew, and Happe are quite a threesome in 2A.

Is it official that Boring will be back for this game?  When he was initially injured, the consensus was "possibly by Regionals" but I have not heard an update.  Curious what, if any, limitations or restrictions he will have on his participation?    He could provide a nice boost on both sides of the ball if not restricted. 

On 11/14/2019 at 2:36 PM, Footballfan78 said:

So far Football Fan your analysis is dead on.  TC up 6 - 0 on MD at the half.  MD already with 2 TOs and too many bad snaps to count.  Happe cannot seem to handle the shotgun snap smoothly which has thrown offensive timing off.  Even the FG attempt just before half was a poor hold/bad kick that resulted in a sideways spinning kick that floated into the cross bar.  Kicking game, or rather Mater Dei's lack of one, is looming large so far in this game.  Calling their play "sloppy" in first half would be kind.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, Cappy said:

I'll take the visiting Wildcats to win by a couple scores in this one, Boring, McGrew, and Happe are quite a threesome in 2A.

Is the Happe any relation to the Clint Happe who played RB and LB for Memorial in the mid 00s? He was a pretty good wrestler too.