Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A Regional - Bishop Chatard at Concordia

On 11/10/2019 at 10:42 PM, kdets89 said:

https://www.acmebargrillmenu.com

Don't think chili is an option at the Acme, but the tenderloin is so good you won't miss it.

They do have very good chili. The smoked wings are great and their pizza is really good. On Friday nights they generally also have a bluegill fish special. I know that you are coming from out of town and may not want to drink, but they also have 26 beers on tap.

Edited by clhs2man
  • Thanks 2

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, Lysander said:

Any recommendation for good eats pregame?   It’s been a few years but I ate at a great place downtown called “Club Soda”.  Might be too nice for some of the rowdies I may have tagging along, though (if it’s still around).

I’m trying to get my priorities straight.

Reservations needed today, for these good restaurants. Cork'N Cleaver, Oyster Bar. For this restaurant no reservation needed, Don Hall's Guesthouse Old Gas House Restaurant and Bar. And of course famous and iconic, Coney Island.  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, Lysander said:

Any recommendation for good eats pregame?   It’s been a few years but I ate at a great place downtown called “Club Soda”.  Might be too nice for some of the rowdies I may have tagging along, though (if it’s still around).

FYI - there is a Fort Wayne Komets hockey game also on Friday at 8:00 at Memorial Coliseum, close to Zollner Stadium. The Komets usually draw around 8,000 and people come from around the area, so give yourself plenty of time to eat. Just in case the local eateries are busy. BTW - I love Wu's, Chinese food, just as good as nearby PF Changs. Plus, the stadium is only 10 minutes away and by that time you'll be hungry again for a hot dog and some popcorn. Have fun and enjoy!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BLKnights7 said:

Not very familiar with Chatard this year. More pass focused of an offense, or are they sound all around? Impressive the amount of points they score.

Most things in general about Chatard are unchanged except the offense which is probably 50/50 Run/Pass vs 100% run.

If you’ve never seen Chatard its always started with great line play (offense and defense).  They will block all the way down the field and through the “penumbra” of the whistle (Bobref might get a kick out of that description).  Great line play but doesn’t mean they will all be huge,

Solid skill players.  Their feature back and receiver are extraordinary.  

Really good defense that pursues and tackles in a gang.   Again, not huge.

Great special teams.

At the top of their game, they are a lot of fun to watch on both offense and defense.

They will generally leave some bumps and bruises.  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, Lysander said:

I heard Lt. Harris said you should visit this place...

Image result for Blue Oyster sign photo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, BLKnights7 said:

Not very familiar with Chatard this year. More pass focused of an offense, or are they sound all around? Impressive the amount of points they score.

This year's team is all around very solid with 7 All-City players:

Cheek - QB

Taylor - RB

Sowinski - WR

Solomon - OL

Assalley - DL

Schrader - LB

Mastrian - DB

What makes this list so interesting are the players who are NOT on this list. Seriously, top to bottom very solid in all aspects (O, D, ST). This obviously does not mean anything as wins/losses are decided on the field.

Regarding style. Certainly less pass this year vs. last two years, but absolutely more than the Coach L days where he ran 98% of the time. I would say 65/35 run/pass ratio. So far, this team is performing very well and the young men playing every Friday have earned every opportunity and success to this point.

Looking forward to this Friday. Leaving a bit early to get a bite to eat before the game. Thanks to all with your suggestions regarding Ft. Wayne cuisine.

Chatard 42 - Concordia 14

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

This year's team is all around very solid with 7 All-City players:

Cheek - QB

Taylor - RB

Sowinski - WR

Solomon - OL

Assalley - DL

Schrader - LB

Mastrian - DB

What makes this list so interesting are the players who are NOT on this list. Seriously, top to bottom very solid in all aspects (O, D, ST). This obviously does not mean anything as wins/losses are decided on the field.

Regarding style. Certainly less pass this year vs. last two years, but absolutely more than the Coach L days where he ran 98% of the time. I would say 65/35 run/pass ratio. So far, this team is performing very well and the young men playing every Friday have earned every opportunity and success to this point.

Looking forward to this Friday. Leaving a bit early to get a bite to eat before the game. Thanks to all with your suggestions regarding Ft. Wayne cuisine.

Chatard 42 - Concordia 14

Good info. Can't go wrong with any of the above restaurants my pick is acme!

• Like 1

Since this thread is now premiering on The Food Network (admittedly my fault), I am leaning heavy toward the Acme.  Going to call them to confirm the chili, though I’m thinking “Big Eyed Fish” as a fallback (liked their menu) if no chili at Acme.

Considered impressing the better half and getting reservations at “Club Soda” but me being that thoughtful might be too much of a shock to her system.  Add that I’m cheap.

Safe travels to everyone attending.

Just an FYI to Fort Wayne HS football junkies that might be looking to go to a live game.  This Chatard team is pretty fun to watch.  I know Carmel is in town and will be having their standard wine and cheese event pregame and a cotillion postgame.....but if you just like football....... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Since this thread is now premiering on The Food Network (admittedly my fault), I am leaning heavy toward the Acme.  Going to call them to confirm the chili, though I’m thinking “Big Eyed Fish” as a fallback (liked their menu) if no chili at Acme.

Considered impressing the better half and getting reservations at “Club Soda” but me being that thoughtful might be too much of a shock to her system.  Add that I’m cheap.

Safe travels to everyone attending.

Just an FYI to Fort Wayne HS football junkies that might be looking to go to a live game.  This Chatard team is pretty fun to watch.  I know Carmel is in town and will be having their standard wine and cheese event pregame and a cotillion postgame.....but if you just like football....... 

Wine and cheese and  don’t forget the sushi bar as well.

Best of luck the Trojans from the other end of the state!

• Thanks 1

Pretty much on pace with what everyone else is saying. This should be a drubbing. I’ve said my prayers that all the boys from Concordia stay safe and healthy. But Chatard is way too good and there is no upset on the cards. I’m a blunt poster in here and anybody can back that up from the sectional thread. I tell it how it is. Chatard is the #2 team in the state. They will out physical and out finesse Concordia and play Catholic school ball. Chatard’s big thing is their hammer (my Golden Eagles copied them) and a hammer is what all of Fort Wayne will see. Best of luck to both teams though. 

1 hour ago, TeddyGuerin said:

Pretty much on pace with what everyone else is saying. This should be a drubbing. I’ve said my prayers that all the boys from Concordia stay safe and healthy. But Chatard is way too good and there is no upset on the cards. I’m a blunt poster in here and anybody can back that up from the sectional thread. I tell it how it is. Chatard is the #2 team in the state. They will out physical and out finesse Concordia and play Catholic school ball. Chatard’s big thing is their hammer (my Golden Eagles copied them) and a hammer is what all of Fort Wayne will see. Best of luck to both teams though. 

Well, maybe 700 of the 500,000 metro area will see it. Six hundred and seventy five at the game and another 25 watching online. Another 5000 watching other area games. Ten thousand more reading about it in the Journal Gazette in the morning. Honestly? The other 484,300 probably don't care that much.  And don't forget about prayers for the Chatard boys.................all the kids need to be safe, not just Concordia. 

Prediction: The "#2" team in Indy shouldn't have much problem with a Concordia team that sports 6 seniors. Chatard 52, Concordia 14

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

It looks like Concordia will be a tough out in the future.  Good skill position players, very well coached (I really like their offensive schemes, especially the O-line), just need bigger and better linemen, which comes with age and reps.  This should be a good team for the foreseeable future (provided the soccer team doesn't steal all of the good players).  As I've said all year, this Chatard team is all about line play.  Skill position players are a nice bonus, but, you could put me, Lysander, and Trojan88 in the backfield and we'd score 42 a game . . . ok, after the first series we'd all be on the sideline with hamstring injuries, but you know what I mean.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, George Orwell 2 said:

It looks like Concordia will be a tough out in the future.  Good skill position players, very well coached (I really like their offensive schemes, especially the O-line), just need bigger and better linemen, which comes with age and reps.  This should be a good team for the foreseeable future (provided the soccer team doesn't steal all of the good players).  As I've said all year, this Chatard team is all about line play.  Skill position players are a nice bonus, but, you could put me, Lysander, and Trojan88 in the backfield and we'd score 42 a game . . . ok, after the first series we'd all be on the sideline with hamstring injuries, but you know what I mean.  

Chatard line looked very impressive along with the running back Taylor. Was hoping Concordia would have hung around but they played them hard the first half. Hats off to Chatard, that's a pretty complete looking team.

• Like 2

Concordia hung in tough for a half. I was impressed with that. A very young team and they competed with one of the best teams in the state. It was just a matter of time though before Chatard pulled away. That is a good football team. Congrats to them and good luck the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Orwell 2 said:

Unfortunately they have been stuck at this level for 4 to 5 years now. They have some good athletes at Concordia who won't play football. I know one personally. I keep asking him why he won't play, his answer is "Why would I go play and lose? Or I am not big enough." Drives me crazy when he says this. 

Edited by Mebuck
Spelling

41 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

Unfortunately they have been stuck at this level for 4 to 5 years now. They have some good athletes at Concordia who won't play football. I know one personally. I keep asking him why he won't play, his answer is "Why would I go play and lose? Or I am not big enough." Drives me crazy when he says this. 

That would drive me crazy too.  Mostly because it is simply wrong.  This is a team that won a state championship a few years ago by beating the $hit out of everyone they faced.  I'm sure there are a lot of teams in the state that would like to be "stuck at this level for 4 to 5 years now."  Granted the team would better if all of the great athletes played football, but, I think those days are gone for all schools.  More and more families are choosing to not allow their kids to play football.  I can even see it at Chatard and especially at the grade school level feeder programs.  But, to use losing* as an excuse at a school that is competitive every year and recently won a state championship is completely irrational.  

*I am not big enough therefore I am afraid of being seriously injured is a completely legitimate reason not to play football.  

Edited by George Orwell 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mebuck said:

There has to be something else. Something else that he is afraid of. Or maybe he's just not that passionate about football. I've heard kids say that as well. In my opinion, it's either that football isn't their passion, or that they are afraid of not being as good as they think they are going to be. They'd rather talk about how good they are, instead of going out and showing how good they are. I don't know the kid you are speaking of, so I'm not judging him personally. It's just what I've personally observed from kids who say that. 

The kids I respect the most are the kids who play for Caston. They go out and get whipped every Friday night. Then they have to deal with the critics telling them how bad they are. But they continue to fight every week. When it comes to the game of life, those kids will be the winners.  

Edited by BTF
correction
  • Thanks 1

The great thing for smaller schools in the SAC is that you are going to play against a variety of schools that typically are bigger than you, some maybe a lot better.....but you will be better in the end.  The negative is that your probably going to lose a fair amount of those games.

That might not fit well in the video game mindset where if you are losing you just reset the game until you win.  That mind set isn’t isolated to certain kids Concordia, by any means.  That said, I’m no shrink so what do Iknow?

I thought the kids from Concordia played their @sses off last night.....right to the end.  They went down throwing roundhouses.

BTW, Acme was a great recommendation for pregame last night.  Thanks.  Hope our folks weren’t too rowdy and tipped well.  Thanks for ALL of the food recommendations.

• Like 1